15 replies to this topic

#1 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Been driving the work ute around lately and only had to give that back the other day. Noticed my brake pedal was super-spongey (almost hitting the floor!). With the car pulling slightly to the left, it was found to be a sloppy driver's side wheel bearing. Last night I changed it over by replacing the whole hub with one bought from a wrecker. It is actually a quick job so long as you're prepared. I changed the whole hub as 99% of the time when a wheel bearing flogs out on a Subaru it will destroy the hub. Even 1-2mm of wear on the bearing race is enough to mean that your new bearing won't last 1000km.

I didn't take pics, but here's the process anyway. You'll need 19mm spanners/sockets, plus 14/17/32mm sockets and spanners, a hammer, a cable tie/rope/twine, some Inox/WD40/RP7. I'll take a pic of the old hub and label each of the bolts - it's pretty simple, though.

1. Before you jack the car up, crack the wheel nuts and the 32mm CV shaft retaining nut. You won't get 'em off in the air.
2. Jack the car so the wheel is off the ground. I try to get it about 20cm off the ground to give me decent working room. Use stands under the chassis rails. YOu'll need 'em.
3. Pull the wheel off, slide it under the car.
4. Undo split-pin on the tie rod castle nut (on the steering arm).
5. Using a 17mm socket undo the castle nut, but leave it sitting on the end of the thread, protecting the thread.
6. Pull the hub full lock towards you and, while holding it at full lock, hit the end of the tie rod next to the thread. DO NOT HIT THE THREAD OR THE NUT - you will only seize it tighter
7. The tie rod end should drop out after a few big belts. Clean it with Inox, then push the hub back.
8. Undo the two 17mm bolts on the back of the hub, holding the caliper to the hub, then cable tie the caliper out of the way.
9. Slide the rotor off the hub. If you have ABS, using a 14mm socket undo the sensor from the back of the hub.
10. Above the balljoint, on the front edge of the hub is a 14mm bolt. Undo that, remove the bolt and then reach in behind the hub, under the CV shaft. There is a split there you need to hammer a large flathead screwdriver into to open the gap.
11. Slide a large bar between the top of the control arm and the chassis, then push down HARD on it. This pops the ball joint out of the hub. Will take some force.
12. Clean up the balljoint with some Inox and wipe it off
13. Mark the position of the top bolt head on the bolt and the shock with a marker. This is your camber bolt. You want this in the same position to avoid getting a wheel alignment.
14. Undo and remove the two 19mm bolts. Top first, then bottom.
15. As the hub falls forward, tap the end of the CV shaft with the handle of the hammer to loosen the splines. The hub should wiggle off the end.
16. Get your new hub and wipe a very thin layer of HTB grease on the inside of the balljoint aperture and tie rod apertures. If its from a wrecker, rotate the bearing and make sure it spins. Get some Inox in there too
17. Slide the hub over the end of the CV shaft and put the 32mm nut on the end. Do it up a few turns.
18. Carefully tap the ball joint into the bottom hole and do up the 14mm bolt nice and tight - not too tight. If you snap that, you're f**ked.
19. Next should be the strut bolts. Slide the bottom one in, but don't do it up. Wiggle the top in, aligning the bolt head with the mark you put on the strut to set your camber.
20. Put the nuts on the end of the strut bolts and tighten the top one first, then the bottom one.
21. If you have ABS, fit the sensor to the hub using the 14mm socket
22. Put the tie rod end in the hub, tighten the nut down and replace the split pin (very important)
23. Slide the rotor over the hub and fit the caliper with the 17mm bolts
24. Refit the wheel (WITHOUT THE CENTRE CAP) and lower the car off the stands.
25. Torque up your wheel nuts and the CV nut. You will need to check them after the first 50km to make sure they haven't loosened (incl. the CV nut)

Should take about 30mins to do :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#2 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

Actually need to do this on Tuesday. My guy is coming out here to do it for me, but it'll be good to know what's going on.

Cheers,
Nik

#3 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

More than likely he'll press out the bearing and replace it.

I've got a press at home (an $80 Supercheap jobbie) so I'll press the dead bearing out of the old hub and take pics on the weekend to show you kids :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

Does the press go alright Marv? I'm looking to invest in a cheapie for bushes and bearing and the like

Posted Image

#5 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, it's not terrible. Good for occasional home use, not for anything more (ie: farm/workshop use).

If you're doing bushings, a butane torch from the supermarket/Bunnings will also come in handy :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

More than likely he'll press out the bearing and replace it.

I've got a press at home (an $80 Supercheap jobbie) so I'll press the dead bearing out of the old hub and take pics on the weekend to show you kids :)

That'd be great.

He drives the rally service truck out to do my servicing/repairs, so I'm always poking around over his shoulder, asking stupid questions, etc. etc. He can't get angry because I'm so easy to love.

In for the pictures though!

Cheers,
Nik

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, it's not terrible. Good for occasional home use, not for anything more (ie: farm/workshop use).

If you're doing bushings, a butane torch from the supermarket/Bunnings will also come in handy :)

Sounds like just what i need it for, cheers!

Posted Image

#8 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

If she's a tight one marv let me know and I can pop it out on the 50ton press we have here at work.

Another tip is put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours and just prior to installing te bearing put a bit of heat into the hub itself.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

They used to freeze brass bearings at my old work in Liquid Nitrogen. Was awesome! Especially when they tipped out the used stuff on the floor!

Posted Image

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm Supercheap Press sounds like something I need in my life. How tall is it Marvy Marv? I am assuming it is the standard style that is mounted in a frame?

#11 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

It's about 1m tall. Bench height, basically.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

http://www.superchea...467#Description

Posted Image

#13 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

Apologies for how basic this pic is but I've only got MS Paint on my home PC.

A - tie rod end mount (comes in from bottom)
B - ABS sensor aperture
C - ball joint lock bolt
D - ball joint goes here
E - Mount for brake caliper
F - clevis for strut bolts (bolt you shock here, camber bolt on top)

Here's a bunch of other pics to show how an ABS front hub goes together. I'll be putting a rear hub together with the handbrake assembly and all to show you guys how to change on of them. I'll also put together a guide on how to press bearings in, but if you don't know how to do it or have the tools I'd highly recommend NOT trying it at home.

Hub with bearing. The ring behind the wheel studs is the ABS tone ring. The sensor bolts through the hub and sits near the spinning tone ring. When it senses the ring stop spinning it knows the wheel is locked.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Bearing w/tone ring
Posted Image

Bearing
Posted Image

Bare hub (no brake rotor dust plate)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hub, bearing, no brakes
Posted Image
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I used to cut these out with a grinder, as sometimes hubs are impossible to mount in the press.

Sounds like butchery, but actually works quite well.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#15 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

I used to cut these out with a grinder, as sometimes hubs are impossible to mount in the press.

Sounds like butchery, but actually works quite well.

My old man does the same

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#16 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Yep, seen it done on bearings at my old work. Works awesome saw it done on a shaft!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users