15 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Figure I might start a thread so everyone can share the Aldi specials which seem to be pretty good recently. Be good to share thoughts on the products

To start things off here's a torque wrench i got last night

http://www.aldi.com..../2827_19359.htm

While the scale increments aren't as straight forward as some of the better wrench for $25 these seem alright. Obviously your not gonna torque your head studs or big ends up with one, but for wheel nuts, suspension components, pulleys, sump plugs etc these would be great. They also come with a small extension and 17, 19, and 21mm sockets. Perfect for subaru's

Worst case scenario they'd makena good breaker bar.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

At that price, you could buy a couple, and joust with them whilst on pushbikes.

Posted Image

#3 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Would you trust it??

I wouldnt..

MY02 Liberty B4

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Why's that, Lance?

Aldi's stuff isn't too bad at all. I wouldn't bet my life on it but their products are usually pretty decent.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Lance is rich.

Snap-on is how he rolls, at twenty times the price.

As Mark has stated, this would be adequate for entry level type of basic stuff. And when you break it, at $25 a pop, who cares?

At least then you've done a cost based needs analysis for a torque wrench. If you find yourself needing another one, then you'd go out and buy something half decent for more money. If you don't need another one, throw this one in the bin, and live your merry life, knowing well that, you've haven't wasted hundreds of dollars on a tool you've only used twice in five years.

#6 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

90% of the shit in our house is from Aldi.

I just picked up a $25 toolbox from them that is massive, strong and holds everything really neatly. Same thing at SCA was like $80.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#7 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

I was going to argue on Lance's side, but Alex is right. I have a fairly expensive torque wrench in my garage, and I think I've used it once in 3 years.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#8 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I'm 99% sure this has a 1 year warranty. It's gotta be more accurate then going off 'feel' with a breaker bar or ratchet.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#9 justrad

justrad

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Aldi is good...I bought some stuff in aldi. tools and everything, cheap but theyre alright. new specials in aldi this coming saturday. I think, some drill bits and some, shit.

#10 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

i bought a car cover there the other day.. Seems decent and durable. 40 bucks i think.
was necessary cos where i park my car down my driveway is under a tree and the leaves act like batshit and ruin the paint!
its got a tie for underneath it so it doesnt blow away and even a zipper to access the front door which wuld be pretty handy to just grab stuff out of..

im gonna keep out an eye now for tools and stuff.. those Monday and Saturday 'special buys' or sumin are pretty cool..

edit: heres the link for the car cover: http://www.aldi.com..../2827_19366.htm

#11 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

For what you are using it for EG: wheel nuts, sump plugs, suspension components, these are things that you generaly do not need to torque but by feel. However, head studs, crank main caps and cam caps and things that are very expensive and have bearing or oil clearences, i use a torque rench..

Aluminium wheel nuts i torque as they have a tend to strip..

And yes, my torque rench is snap on, and the other is wurth. It gets calibrated every year too and has never failed me
MY02 Liberty B4

#12 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

I have a pretty decent torque wrench, i paid a fair bit more for it but i use it on Head Studs, Cam Caps and as Lance said, things where clearances and tolerances are important and not just "Recommended"

For a weekend warrior that wants to do suspension and other things and hasn't done enough to "have the feel" for how tight things are yet.. $25 is decent.
even if it is just to train yourself how tight is just right
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#13 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Im not bagging out ALDI stuff. I have bought a 12v air compresser there.. Its awesome for plugging a tyre pressure gauge into or air blower. $150 too which is great.

The reason as i have some snap on stuff is that i use it ALL DAY, EVERYDAY.. And if a socket looses its chrome, screwdriver breaks its tip or anything fails. The Rep will replace it the next time her comes around.

For home i bought stanley stuff from Supercheap, i got a 3/8 socket set, ratchet spanners ($65 too) stoogedrivers etc..

Also i have bought a 1/4 socket set from KMart which cost me $8..

MY02 Liberty B4

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Im the same. Stahlwillie, Facom and SnapOn for work.
King Chrome, Stanley, Lobster for play.

I would recommend spending as much as you can on instruments, such as torque wrenches, verniers, dial indicators, micrometers and the like.

I bought an Aldi wind up torch. Best thing ever and prawns the same thing I bought, at twice the price, from Anaconda.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#15 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:cars, music, cars, snow, cars, wake cars, and goodtimes. mainly goodtimes in cars.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

ahh the old saying you pay for what you get it most of the time true. quality tools will come with a lifetime guarantee so u know its a wise investment but if your unsure how long you will live buy cheap and live happy!!! i shop at aldi all the time for stuff that i will rarely use and its good to have those type of speciality tools available at aldi for the bargain price they can whack on it. i havent had any dramas with the aldi product yet. $25 is a good buy i rekon.

#16 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

ahh the old saying you pay for what you get it most of the time true. quality tools will come with a lifetime guarantee so u know its a wise investment but if your unsure how long you will live buy cheap and live happy!!! i shop at aldi all the time for stuff that i will rarely use and its good to have those type of speciality tools available at aldi for the bargain price they can whack on it. i havent had any dramas with the aldi product yet. $25 is a good buy i rekon.

agreed!! until you're an avid, every single day kinda user you dont be needin to fork out so much!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users