10 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hoi everyone, Now, I recieved some new brakes yesterday and want to paint the calipers. My questions are: Whats the best way to DIY this? Which is the best paint? If it helps, i wanna paint them black. All i can think of tmm, will probably have more as people explain things. Help appreciated muchly. Cheers Ash

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hey matey. Firstly get a stiff brush and some hot soapy water and give them a good clean. Once they're dry get some scotch brite or your mums good dish washing scourer and give them a real hard rub. This will cut the surface very slightly and allow the primer to get a good hold on the surface. After you've done this give them another quick rinse under a tap to remove any debris you may have made from scratching the surface. After the calipers have dried again, take some good quality masking tape and tap up the pistons, rubbers and any other area you don't wish to paint. Tape wont stick to silicon, oil or grease. This is why the cleaning stage is so important. Once you have it masked its time to start painting them. Get yourself a pressure pack or two of automotive primer. Pressure pack cans are always 1k acrylic lacquer or if they're really cheap, nitrocellulose lacquer. (Model A fords were the last cars to use this in production!) Being that it is acrylic lacquer it doesn't fill anywhere near as well as 2k products. This isn't a problem if you wish to maintain the factory cast appearance, which I will presume you do. If not how ever, you may wish to apply up to 5-6 coats of primer per caliper, or until the surface is relatively smooth. If this is your over all aim, you best bet is to apply the fist say 5 coats, then let it dry, rub it back until suitably smooth and then apply more coats as deemed necessary. If you choose to maintain the cast porousness of the caliper, 3-4 good wet coats of primer will be sufficient. Once the material is applied leave it to dry for a good 24-48hrs in decent heat. You may even wish to put them in the over, set it to 60degree's celsius for around 45-60mins and they will be reading to sand immediately after removing them. (Note depending on humidity you may need to allow them to cool prior to sanding.) When the calipers are ready for sanding, take some black pressure pack pain and apply a guide coat to all the surfaces to be sanded. The guide coat will allow you to see where you've sanded and show up any imperfections you may wish to remove. Once this step is completed, take some 400-600 grit sand paper and sand until all the guide coat is gone. When the guide coat is gone, inspect the surface and decide if its to your satisfaction. Be careful not to rub through the primer. Paint will not stick to bare metal. Once the primer is to your satisfaction, you need to identify what type of paint your are going to use for the final finish. Most commonly people use a direct gloss black. If this is the case, then you'll need to apply 3-4 wet coats evenly to all surfaces. leaving 5-10 minutes between coats. If you apply it too fast, there is the possibility you will get solvent boil in the finish. If its a clear over base system, you'll need to apply enough coats of the base coat in order achieve coverage. Coverage meaning you have no primer showing through. Once you have achieved coverage, you'll need to apply the clear coat. To apply the clear coat simply apply it in 3-4 wet even coats to all the surfaces. Don't be afraid to put it on too wet either, unlike direct gloss it is possible to cut runs out of the clear, not that it should be a problem for what your doing. If you put it on too dry how ever, it wont look very good at all. That's, probably way to involved for what your doing. Even then I've probably missed a tonne of stuff. But if you follow the majority of that, you'll have something that will last longer than you'll ever own the car. Cheers, Soop.
TSM

#3 Rob

Rob

Previously known as OriaDae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

Nice write up Paul, Gonna remember this one and I might do mine..

▀▄..▄▀▄..▄▀...█.................▄▀▀▄.............▄▀▀▄......................▄..............................▄▀▀▀▄
....█.....█.....█▀█..█▄█.......▀▄......█▀█.....▀▄.......▄▀▀▄...▄..▄...▄...▄▄▄...▄..▄...▄▀▀▄...▀...▄▀
..........................▄..█......▄ ▀▄...█▄█........▀▄....█▀▀.....█▀.....█...█..█...█..█....▀▄.........█
............................▀........▀▄▄▀.............▀▄▄▀....▀▀......▀.......▀..▀▀▀....▀▀▀..▀▄▄▀.......▄

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

I cleaned them up real well already for you Ash. :D Just paint them. I used some VHT caliper spray paint on mine. But I found its not as hard wearing as hand painting them with some Killrust enamel. No need for undercoat with this.

OEM+

#5 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

You were correct soop in assuming its way to involved lol. Ok question time: Whats the difference in wet and dry coats? *cough n00b cough* Is there a more simpler way? I know nothing about painting you see:D. How long would the whole process take? (your way) Mark: You did clean them quite well but not good enough *shakes fist* :P Some brake fluid must of been in there some where because a tiny bit came out and is now on the outside of the calipers so ill need to clean them again

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#6 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Mark:
You did clean them quite well but not good enough *shakes fist* :P
Some brake fluid must of been in there some where because a tiny bit came out and is now on the outside of the calipers so ill need to clean them again

Theres always a dribble left in there.

Stop your whining and just wipe it off.. :P

You should have seen how dirty they were before i cleaned them, forget about a little brake fluid dribble! :D

OEM+

#7 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Theres always a dribble left in there.

Stop your whining and just wipe it off.. :P

You should have seen how dirty they were before i cleaned them, forget about a little brake fluid dribble! :D

And here I was thinking that you were a perfectionist :P

back on topic. How did u paint your calipers mark?

#8 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

A wet coat is exactly that, more material sprayed onto the surface. Total time would be an hour at most. Disregarding drying times. (Can't count drying times, as that's when you consume bourbon :) )
TSM

#9 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

And here I was thinking that you were a perfectionist :P

back on topic. How did u paint your calipers mark?

Only a perfectionist if its going on MY car. :P

I pulled them apart, covered the pistons/boots and sprayed them with VHT caliper paint.

OEM+

#10 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

A wet coat is exactly that, more material sprayed onto the surface.

Total time would be an hour at most. Disregarding drying times. (Can't count drying times, as that's when you consume bourbon :) )

Ahh right ok. Is it do-able for someone likeme with no painting experience of this kind what so ever?

Only a perfectionist if its going on MY car. :P

I pulled them apart, covered the pistons/boots and sprayed them with VHT caliper paint.

Oh ok so i can expect second grade goods from you then? :D

Did you clean them? Sand them? How many coats of paint?

#11 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Oh ok so i can expect second grade goods from you then? :D

Did you clean them? Sand them? How many coats of paint?

Never second grade from me. :P

My GT spec B ones were new, so i just wiped them down with wax/grease remover. Just two coats of spray paint.

I wire brushed and wiped down yours before i sent them. Just wipe them down again and paint them.

OEM+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users