#1 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Ok guys, this one is only in relation to rear mufflers.

What I want to know is what brand people are running, the dimensions of said muffler, the shape of said muffler and the material it is made out of.

I then want to know as much of the specifics as you can possibly give me in regards to how loud it is, do you get a quiet deep note or a loud tinny note etc, does it drone?

I have seen Aeks thread in regards to exhausts and their notes but it doesn't go into the specifics of only the rear muffler and the info I am chasing.

I have been shown some work by a bloke down the coast who custom makes mufflers/resonators for mainly rotary's and it has been said that they are very high quality and have been shown to produce a much better result than any of the mainstream Japanese pre-fab brands, and by better result I mean keeping the thing relatively quiet whilst still flowing.
They can also be optioned with a removable end so that the baffling can be replaced later down the track.

If I can get enough info together to know what I want I might be able to get one made up for myself :D.

Here is to hoping! thank you in advanced for your help.

#2 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Until a week ago I had an oval single tip varex with the below specs. Closed, it sounded a fair bit like an airy fart which didn't bother me since it was quiet. Open, it's basically a straight pipe with little to no muffling. At low RPM at sounded pretty average and tinny. From about 4500rpm on, it was a mighty roar. Very loud though, there was really no way to drive quietly with it open.
Specs are:
Inlet Size:2.5" ,3" and 3.5";
Barrel Size: 6"X10", 16" long;
Tip Size: 2.5"&3" Single-wall, or 4" double-wall round tip;

Now I have a fujitsubo. Not 100% but it looks to be a legalis R. At idle it is fairly quiet, and a nice deep rumbling note. Through the rev range it's obviously a good deal quieter, but a more refined note IMO. I do prefer the raw noise the varex made high in the rev range, but the legalis is a much higher quality noise.
Assuming it is a legalis R, specs are below.
Pipe Diam.(mm) 50.8 - 76.3 Thickness(mm) 1.0 / 1.2 / 1.5 Tip Diam.(mm) 90.0 - 117 (Slash)

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#3 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've got an X-Force oval muffler on mine.

It was originally on a car with a full 3" TBE but I'm using it as a diffback.

Note is deep. Zero drone. Physical muffler is not huge. Has an STi tip on the end which has been painted black. Starting to peel but that's ok.

X-Force seem to make decent gear at a reasonable price.

Hitech is another one which could be worth looking into

IM47Gcv.jpg

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Got any dimensions Morgan?

I think I am pretty keen to get this custom made jobby but would need to know a few specifics to tell him such as dimensions.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Not sure sorry... Fits perfectly under the Foz!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#6 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Josh,

The rear muffler on mine is just an oval jobbie. I think it was a Magnaflow, or Hi-Tech or Lukey or something. Its a cross flow, 3" straight through muffler, with hexagon style baffling on either side of the internal piping, measuring about 19" in length. I have no resonator fitted in the rest of the system, other then a racecat.

You've heard mine, and its VERY quiet, unless you're on full song, in which it does open up quite a bit. No tip, other then an extended 3" bit of pipe, painted black, along with the rest of the system. You can roll a ball down my exhaust, from the cat back, and it will pop out the back.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Check Youtube for a sound clip. I think it was called Cruisin In The Lib or something like that. Its a nice subtle look, doesnt attract any unwanted attention, but provides the performance you're after.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi,

Perhaps adding what engine you're coming off of might be an idea?

Cheers,
Nik

#8 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

How come you want to have a custom muffler put together? There are a lot of excellent ones already on the market, and I doubt having a custom one fabbed up is going to be any cheaper than they are.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

From a lot of feedback among the rotary crew, these mufflers have outperformed anything they have tried mainstream aftermarket, so I don't mind paying for quality, not to mention the average price this bloke charges is not through the roof, very reasonable.

Shaz, I will check out your youtube clip.

I am being very pedantic about this as I don't want the car to be much louder than stock, I just want something that will be high flow while keeping the noise right down, as this blokes wares seem to do to a pretty good degree given what they are being used for. The general consensus was that they flow equally if not better than top end Japanese prefabbed mufflers while being significantly quieter

#10 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I run a Hitech, 3" oval with 4" tip, stainless steel. Can get more measurements if you want.

Video:

It's much more quiet in person lower in the rev range than what the video makes out i think.

It's quiet on idle, especially compared to an X-force equivalent, but the more you put for your foot down, the louder it gets, which I like :). From a decibel test the previous owner did it was just over the 90db limit by .6db from memory. Keep in mind this is with a full 3" exhaust in front of it though.

If you want it not much louder than stock , I've heard good things about TCP mufflers being exactly that.

#11 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

On my Liberty I’ve got (from a 3” turbo back) a Prodrive “Stage 2” Oval Muffler - 2.5” inlet straight through with a 3” tip. It’s not much louder than the OEM exhaust unless you really open it up. It’s got slightly deeper tone to stock but you hardly know it’s there unless you really go for it

On the legacy I had a Zero Sports world leaguer Cannon - 3” inlet straight through to 4” tip. It was really loud even at light throttle (came at the end of a Zero Sport 3” TB with a high flow cat and no resinators). I liked it but it was a bit loud for everyday driving imo

On the Foz I got a 3” HKS Hi-Power Cannon. 3” inlet 4” tip. This is surprisingly quiet for a cannon, even when on WOT it’s not as loud as a lot of other cannon style mufflers. The two critisisms of it would be 1, it’s a cannon and 2, it’s tone isn’t quite as deep as I’d like it. I’m thinking about putting this on the Liberty and swapping the prodrive onto the foz

Sorry I don’t know the full specs of each muffler but if you goggle them I’m sure can find out the technical details of them.

I got sounds clips of the Zero Sport and HKS ones in the exhaust tone thread

The rear muffler on mine is just an oval jobbie. I think it was a Magnaflow, or Hi-Tech or Lukey or something

it not Hi-Tech (Your wallet would know if it was a hi-tech!!)

Pretty sure i can see a "Supercat" stamp on the bottom of it

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#12 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks Aek. Not sure I have heard the Liberty.... or is that the silver wagon?

#13 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Nah the Zero Sports was on the wagon, i'll see if i've got a sound clip from the Lib somewhere, i don't think i do though :-/

signature_1_35.jpg

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

The wagon was pretty loud...

#15 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

REALLY LOUD lol!!

signature_1_35.jpg

#16 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

I dunno if it was any louder than Dylan's cannon :P

#17 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

haha yeah nah not keen on something THAT loud :P.

"Prodrive “Stage 2” Oval Muffler - 2.5” inlet straight through with a 3” tip " In regards to this, why does it have a 2.5" inlet when the rest of your exhaust is 3"?
What kind of Dorrar figures are we talking for the prodrive?

#18 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

haha not even close. you could hear him coming two towns over

signature_1_35.jpg

#19 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

haha yeah nah not keen on something THAT loud :P.

"Prodrive “Stage 2” Oval Muffler - 2.5” inlet straight through with a 3” tip " In regards to this, why does it have a 2.5" inlet when the rest of your exhaust is 3"?
What kind of Dorrar figures are we talking for the prodrive?

Gas contracts as it cools. It requires less space at the end of the exhaust than it does in the dump pipe when it's fresh out of the engine, so the pipe can be reduced towards the muffler.
That's the theory anyway. Whether it's cooled that much by then...

#20 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

haha not even close. you could hear him coming two towns over

I couldn't even hear my car at all when I was behind him. Pity he never got the new muffler on to see what it sounded like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Size, Sound, Materials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users