• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

hey guys after having a little bit of trouble getting the wagon passed for rego ive decided to say Posted Image it and get the thing engineered and bluesliped so i wont have any probs with rego and cops. anyone able to shed some light on this as ive never had to do it befor, id like to here some storys of when you did your car or any tips etc you might have.

most of you no the car but for those that dont its a 1999 gen3 liberty wagon that has had a v3 sti motor, gearbox and rear diff fitted to it, car is stock apart a 3inch turbo back, wrx wheels and king springs.

do note im in nsw, 2101

cheers
ben.

freeway.jpeg 

#2 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Here are some links to read. NSW has just changed to the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme, which changes how you get an engineer's certificate.

FAQ about VSCCS
http://www.rta.nsw.g...s/vsccs_qa.html

Here is a link to all the certifiers signed up to VSCCS currently. More will be added over time as more sign up.
http://www.rta.nsw.g..._14_03_2012.pdf

Basically, what is going to happen is that you get your car working perfectly (oil leaks fixed, make sure there's nothing blatantly illegal on it, get suspension bushes/etc checked out so they're fine), then you call a bunch of different engineers on that list and have a chat to them about certifying your car.

Some might want to do brake checks, or want you to change the tyres you have, or go for an emissions test or more, but others won't. Some will want to charge you $1500, some will want to charge $100, some will not want to touch your car. Pick an engineer to go with based on what works for you - They'll most likely tell you to change/fix something or other. You can go to any engineer accredited on that list - doesn't have to be the one located closest to you.

They'll want to inspect your car so you'll have to take some time out to do this. They might pick up other stuff you need to fix (tyre placard not right, no bonnet stay, oil breathers venting to atmo, etc) which will mean no certification, go home, fix it and book in again. If you have to do emissions testing (noise or heaven forbid a tailpipe particle-count) they might even send you to one of the big RTA/RMS inspection stations at Botany/Penrith. Hopefully you just do a noise test at a local exhaust shop that is licensed to do it. Once they're satisfied your vehicle is compliant, they'll send the certification off to the RTA/RMS.

I'm not sure if you need to do the "change of details" form for the motor swap BEFORE you get it engineered or after, or if the engineer can do it for you. You should definitely get the engine number listed on your certificate to make it a little easier for yourself. I've done a few of these "COD" forms and the inspector never asked about the FMIC/fuel system/turbo/etc I had on the cars.

If you want to take your car for a safety and identity check blueslip (aka, "put it over the pits) then you're mad. If its already registered, change the engine # details, get it engineered and move on with life.

"Platypus" on here (James) just got his V3-powered Gen2 Outback through this after a noise defect.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#3 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

cheers mate, thats the exact type of info im after, ill have a good read of it when im not at work hiding from my boss haha

freeway.jpeg 

#4 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Good write up Marv, Made for interesting reading if i ever decide to swap.

@Ben, I read most of it out to my boss :P

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#5 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

i've had 3 engineers reports done for various cars i've owned over the years. Make sure the brakes are good, I had to perform 10 emergency stops from 100kph in a row. The brakes will be absolutely smoking after this, but as long as the car still can stop quickly on the 10th then you will pass.
The engineer did a noise test with a little hand held meter with the engine revving to 4000rpm.
Make sure all electrical cables that pass through the firewall are properly grommeted.
Make sure there is no cel lights on
I never had to get an emissions test. The engineer wrote on the certificate that it wasn't required because I had retained all the factory pollution control and using standard ecu.
AKZ engineering in Canberra is where I had my reports done. I think the guy might have retired now, but if he's still in business then I highly recommend him. He used to drive a highly modified 20B rotory cosmo, and he wrote a report for a V8 twin turbo AWD Celica! in canberra. So he understands and is sympathetic towards modified car owners.

#6 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

I heard it mentioned some time ago that to engineer an engine swap, the engine must be the same age or newer than the chassis. Can anyone speak to this? Because if that's the case, Ben you're never going to get it engineered.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

I know the laws are a lot tougher now, a lot of engineers in my local area are no longer operating. a mate of mine just got his cefiro engineered most quotes were around the $2.5k mark for basic mods! ended up getting a local one in mangerton for $1500, very thorough job though.

I heard it mentioned some time ago that to engineer an engine swap, the engine must be the same age or newer than the chassis. Can anyone speak to this? Because if that's the case, Ben you're never going to get it engineered.

engine needs to meet emissions for the year model of the car it is in afaik...

edit:

I engineered my old wagon just after conversion for the sake of it. brakes up to scratch, suspension etc, essentially a very thorough roadworthy. ensure you have the same number of cat-converters as standard car came with and make sure it is quiet!

MY07 GT spec B

#8 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Alexxx is correct.

Rendog, this is nsw info. Its useless for qld.

The v8 rwd celica is Justens one i tske it? Ive been in that thing back in 2004. It was engineered for Canberra = useless in nsw.

Vsccs has changed everything regarding who signs you off atm. Ring around
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I dont really want to sound rude, dont take me the wrong way but does it really matter?

My old converted GX has been through a partial inspection before and a full inspection (defected, even the coppers didnt say anything about it being converted) which is full blue slip "over the pits". Not a thing was mentioned or questioned about it being a GX with turbo gear in it at the blueslip station and they wer'nt lenient at all, had to go back 3 times.

Never had problems with rego or insurance or anything.

Same story with my old GT-B. The thing was a re-birth ( truthfully ) but still in some ways a conversion ( depending how you look at it ). Never had a problem with rego, insurance or anything.
Slightly different situation with the GT-B, but not.

One thing i would like to know about Subaru conversions is, technically we arent really modifying anything out of the ordinary, everything is drop in and bolt up. Its been thrown around that we dont need it engineered because the bodies are optioned with the combo of turbo awd anyway. Anyone shed light on that?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#10 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

The v8 rwd celica is Justens one i tske it? Ive been in that thing back in 2004. It was engineered for Canberra = useless in nsw.

yes it was in canberra, but AKZ will do an engineers report that is valid in both act and nsw.

#11 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Rendog, this is nsw info. Its useless for qld.

Intention is to live in NSW when that time comes :P

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#12 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

I dont really want to sound rude, dont take me the wrong way but does it really matter?

My old converted GX has been through a partial inspection before and a full inspection (defected, even the coppers didnt say anything about it being converted) which is full blue slip "over the pits". Not a thing was mentioned or questioned about it being a GX with turbo gear in it at the blueslip station and they wer'nt lenient at all, had to go back 3 times.

Never had problems with rego or insurance or anything.

Same story with my old GT-B. The thing was a re-birth ( truthfully ) but still in some ways a conversion ( depending how you look at it ). Never had a problem with rego, insurance or anything.
Slightly different situation with the GT-B, but not.

One thing i would like to know about Subaru conversions is, technically we arent really modifying anything out of the ordinary, everything is drop in and bolt up. Its been thrown around that we dont need it engineered because the bodies are optioned with the combo of turbo awd anyway. Anyone shed light on that?

jim its not a matter of whether its a bolt in conversion or not. Its proving your car has been modified in a safe way and that it complies with relevant standards. Gx and RS models have vastly different emissions standards too.

The fact is, your insurance company has the right to refuse a payout on a non engineered modified car. Check the Code of Light Vehicle Modification for an idea of what needs to be certified amd what doesnt - i think youll get a shock at how strict nsw is.

A lot of people get away without engineered cars but that is dumb luck and the times, as Bob Dylan said, are a changin... Stricter enforcement, tougher standards and lower tolerances = safer, better cars on our roads

Intention is to live in NSW when that time comes :P

please warn in advance so i can move to qld.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

please warn in advance so i can move to qld.

Hahahaha.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engineering a converted car, nsw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users