#1 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Having a look at the splitter under my bonnet scoop, ive noticed that the IC opening is smaller than the actual intercooler area and has the two openings for the twin turbos, which i only need one now. Is there any aftermarket options to suit the Gen2 GT for a larger splitter to suit the IC area? Or can a wrx one fitt up to the GT? Or can i just mod this one? Cheers

OEM+

#2 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Zero Sports Cool Action II. but I don't think they make for gen2, only gen3+ Leg, WRX and Forester.

To be honest you're probably better off just modifying your stock one. I felt no placebo gains. ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#3 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

ive moded my stock one as i had one spare...and i didnt see any dramatic improvment...

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. After having a closer inspection, Its actually not too bad. I think with a litlle bit of modding i could open it up enough. I doubt you would see any gains, just possibly cool it down a tad quicker.

OEM+

#5 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

thats about all it does Mark... as soon as i take of from the light it does drop of quicker...

#6 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

Have you put a larger top mount on Mark? On my B4 I modded the splitter and bought another rubber shroud and made the shroud 1.5 time bigger than standard by joining two together because of the STI top mount. I think the guy's with twins can't do anything with STI top mounts, but that shouldn't present a problem to you. :D
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#7 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Have you put a larger top mount on Mark?
On my B4 I modded the splitter and bought another rubber shroud and made the shroud 1.5 time bigger than standard by joining two together because of the STI top mount.
I think the guy's with twins can't do anything with STI top mounts, but that shouldn't present a problem to you. :D

my TMIC is the same as the sti one thicknes and stuff but its a Sanden brand and fits just fine... :rolleyes:

#8 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

It's not the thickness Jovi it's the width and length. A standard splitter and shroud would never work.

#9 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

3 fins didnt get colling (of memory) so with moding it now all the area of the IC gets cooled

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

Have you put a larger top mount on Mark?
On my B4 I modded the splitter and bought another rubber shroud and made the shroud 1.5 time bigger than standard by joining two together because of the STI top mount.
I think the guy's with twins can't do anything with STI top mounts, but that shouldn't present a problem to you. :D

It has a V3 STi tmic Frank. Unsure if this is any larger than the stock GT one, but the shroud does block out a few fins on the sides of the ic. Plus the splitter still has the opening for the lhs turbo which is not needed. :D

Ill pull it off and have a look see at what can be done. Maybe some sheetmetal fabrication at work. ;)

OEM+

#11 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

V3 Top mount is identical to the std WRX one except for a small indentation & the piping, I ditched mine for a GD WRX one, much bigger but a pig to fit (lots of welding) Another thing I did with mine was to ditch the rubber & get some stick on rubber strip from Clark rubber, I layed it around the top edge of the intercooler so it seals against the bonnet, lets air go over the whole cooler this way, looks poop but I'm not into making it look pretty, just functional. tangcla.....I noticed you have the same c/f scoop extension as me, did yours go all manky from the weather? mine did, I re cleared it and it's gone crappy again, have to get the gun out again & give it another rub back & clear...bugger.
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#12 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

V3 Top mount is identical to the std WRX one except for a small indentation & the piping, I ditched mine for a GD WRX one, much bigger but a pig to fit (lots of welding)

Another thing I did with mine was to ditch the rubber & get some stick on rubber strip from Clark rubber, I layed it around the top edge of the intercooler so it seals against the bonnet, lets air go over the whole cooler this way, looks poop but I'm not into making it look pretty, just functional.

tangcla.....I noticed you have the same c/f scoop extension as me, did yours go all manky from the weather? mine did, I re cleared it and it's gone crappy again, have to get the gun out again & give it another rub back & clear...bugger.

you and i have the same type cooler, but i think mine was way easier to fit then yours.

#13 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

tangcla.....I noticed you have the same c/f scoop extension as me, did yours go all manky from the weather? mine did, I re cleared it and it's gone crappy again, have to get the gun out again & give it another rub back & clear...bugger.

Not yet, it's been clearcoated with two layers of clear, some bits are starting to bubble because the fibre absorbs the finish apparently. It's still fine though :)

#14 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Another thing I did with mine was to ditch the rubber & get some stick on rubber strip from Clark rubber, I layed it around the top edge of the intercooler so it seals against the bonnet, lets air go over the whole cooler this way, looks poop but I'm not into making it look pretty, just functional.

Thats the exact idea i had today. :D

I was going to fit the rubber strip to the splitter so the IC still looks tidy when you open the bonnet. ;)

OEM+

#15 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

I have a GD top mount as well, and the mounts are a mongrel to make up. Heaps bigger than older types. I considered doing the rubber up to the bonnet seal, but instead spent 2 days making something that resembled the original. Worth the effort.

#16 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

pix people pix...

#17 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:10 AM

I don't know, the things I do for you guys..........give you great ideas, out at midnight taking bloody photo's lol.

As you can see I've put foam top & bottom & because I have a care factor of zero you can see where the drivers side of the top mount hits the splitter, simply because I'm too lazy to make a bracket to hold the passenger side up.

Posted Image

Posted Image
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#18 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

I don't know, the things I do for you guys..........give you great ideas, out at midnight taking bloody photo's lol.

Can't beat my dedication, was out till 3:30 taking photos of this beast...

Posted Image

#19 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

FMIC FTW

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#20 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

The splitter made a big difference on mine, standard one the whole top half of the cooler wasn't getting any air. Could feel the heat. Got a process west splitter on there which fit perfect for the GDB STI tmic. Would have dropped temps a heap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users