#1 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hey guys.

Been reading allot over the past about this conversion and am at the point where i think i need to start.

How the story goes is, Iv had the liberty for the last 6 years was given it off my dad and now shes around the 290,000k mark..

The gear box is starting to crunch and the engines sounding pretty tired.. The body is in great condition as is the interior.

So the plan is to put in a V7+ STI engine with low k`s. Hopefully this will give me another 5+ years out of the old girl.

My budgets around the 10k mark but that will be on going as i save more.

At the moment iv been trying to source a half cut and save at the same time but 2 days ago iv noticed the clutch has started slipping.

Soo..

My thoughts at the moment are, Rather than saving up the 8-10k for the half cut im thinking i may do the drive line first ( including a new clutch ) and leave the existing 2.5 in the car untill Iv paid off the gear box/dif and saved up for the engine.

Can anyone see any problems with this ??

Iv ready through Show Us Your Tints post and he has planned on a simular thing but ran into problems with his exaust clearance.

But Since im going from a 5 speed manual to a 6 speed manual im assuming there will be no problems.

Im trying to put together a shopping list, Any imput would be awesome here.

6 Speed box
R180 diff
Lager drive shafts ( make model ?)
hubs ( make model ?)
Tail shaft ( make model ?) ( needed ?)

I assume i will have to upgrade the back brakes in the process and am wondering about which i should be looking for, as iv herd that it can effect the ABS.. (Im assuming my liberty dosent have ABS as iv never felt it when heavily breaking, not that i do it much ) Tho iv read that it was aviliable from the first version.

Looking forward to this growing into a successfull build thread and hopefully i can get to know some of you guys in the process.

Cheers and thanks in advance, Vice.

EDITED..

Current mod list

Engine 7950
Cluster 420
Xmember / tail shaft 200
Indicators 50
Timing belt 500
Loom / Fuel pump 1500
Ez lip 50
Hubs/shafts 250
2 pots 265
Diff 550
Brake reco/ rotas / pads 675
Crush bar 165
Jim Berry clutch 1100

Total $13675

#2 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hi Vice,

The only problem I can see is that in the end, buying it all separately will cost you more in the long run than buying a cut for the conversion.

Good luck :)

Posted Image

#3 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm pretty certain your Liberty will have ABS.

I did exactly this, although with a 5-speed not a 6-speed. It will make your life much easier to just do everything all at once. For one thing, if you're going to get a 6-speed anyway, a halfcut will come with everything you need (except a tailshaft?), instead of having to try and source everything yourself.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

As above, do it all in one go mate. It'll be much easier and cost effective. If you've got 10k already you should just do the whole thing, do it once and do it right!
Or buy something like this :)

http://www.subyclub....sti-conversion/

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Iv spoke to GotItRex and from what iv herd when iv enquired about half cuts they have asked me what im after.. As in they weren’t going to include the back diff brakes etc if not needed..
I don’t have 10k lying around so if i could spend sat 4k on the drive line then buy the engine down the track it would be better for me financially. Plus half cuts seem to be very hard to locate from what iv seen.
Iv seen a short EJ207 block for 1k for sale atm.. So i may even go down the path of a custom built engine/turbo/cooler if i have enough time to save for it.

Cheers Vice

#6 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

This will be a big learning curve for me aswell.. I will be learning allot along the way so the 1 task at a time research, another task research method may suite me better.. Plus having my car off the road for weeks on end isn’t preferable for me..

I may just have to load the money for the half cut then put in the drive line, then engine down the track..

Opinions very welcome J

Cheers Vice

#7 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I will say this one more time, and one more time only.

Get. A. Halfcut.
If you don't you'll be spending the next 18 months of your life searching for parts that you didn't realise you needed, but would otherwise have been included in the halfcut.

Seriously, look very carefully at all the parts you'll need to find for a 6-speed conversion, and then realise that all of them will be included in a halfcut. It's very rare to see someone selling all of it in one go.

You'll need to talk to more than 1 importer about finding a v7 halfcut. Try Ichiban in Sydney, or BMI in Brisbane. From talking to BMI, if they don't have one in stock, they seemed pretty happy to try and find one and bring it over for you.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#8 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Mate if I were you, take the advice from all the guys that have done it and get the whole thing in one go. If you can’t afford it now keep saving and buy a halfcut when you can. Seriously.

Make sure you ask for the front cut, tailshaft, rear diff and rear driveshafts. Tell them it’s for a conversion so you need EVERYTHING. Also make sure they include the front struts and brakes. You may need to negotiate a deal for the rear brakes and hubs as they’re not generally included. It’s worth waiting in my opinion.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

signature_1_35.jpg

#9 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yea im defently listening guys. And after reading tints thread i dont want to be sourcing parts like he did.

Iv been on a waiting list ichiban for the past 3 months, havent tried BMI but ill contact them :)

My plan was always to save for the half cut and get everything but the only thing that was pushing me to start some of it was the fact that my clutch is on its last legs and im not keen to put in a new clutch into the current setup and waste $1500..

Looks like i should just sell my VW and get together the funds for a half cut.. or loan the rest..

I was hoping to do most the work myself , Iv got a few mechanic friends that will help out and let me use their work shop under their watch.

Ill shoot BMI a email now :)

Cheers Vice.

#10 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hey mate,

Listen to what Luke (Xon) is saying. Get a halfcut. You will be putting yourself into a world of pain by not doing it.

For mine, I used a V3 halfcut because of the larger turbo size and known strong points of the motor.

You will need;

Engine
Gearbox
Tailshaft (A B4 Manual Tailshaft will work with the 5 speed. Unsure of the 6speed/R180 combo (I'm sure Alex or someone who has done a six slotter conversion could tell you more information about this)
Front and Rear Driveshafts
Bigger Brakes.

You will have to take the loom off the motor, and then strip the engine/body loom off the car, and send that off to Al at AMAuto up at Noosaville, to be split, and wired together to fit.

You will need a bigger fuel pump too.

If you're planning on running a 3" dump pipe, you will need to remove the bracket on the drivers side firewall / chassis, as you won't be able to fit one down there without doing this.

You will also need a new crossmember, out of a Gen 2 Liberty. The standard cross member wont clear a turbo exhaust.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#11 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Why don't you just change the clutch yourself?

Will be good learning! :)

Posted Image

#12 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Could i invest in a HD clutch now and use that in the 6 speed ?

I was hoping to do some more work on the engine at the end of the conversion with hopefully 250kw+ end result.. Hence the 6 speed.

So if i can grab a clutch that will handle that now and fit it myself that might be the plan..

Cheers Vice..

PS thanks heaps for the fast and accurate reposnses, iv had posts on Ozlib for days without response.. Looks like iv found my new home for the sub project :)

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

As far as I know the 5 speed and 6 speed clutches are different. But I think the clutch kits are like 300 for a std exedy clutch. Someone else will be able to confirm.

Posted Image

#14 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

This. Gotta start somewhere.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#15 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

iv had posts on Ozlib for days without response..

haha a common mistake mate :P

oh and the 5 speed clutch WONT be suitable for the 6 speed

signature_1_35.jpg

#16 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Could i invest in a HD clutch now and use that in the 6 speed ?

No, sadly they're different. You can get a clutch disc (just the disc, not a kit!), and reuse your existing pressure plate and throwout bearing (normally a no no, but if its only going to be used for a little while....). A clutch disc will cost you about $200, and it's a FAIRLY simple change. You could have it done in a day on a driveway with some help from mates.

#17 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Another member on here has done a full v8 conversion into his Gen3 sedan. He purchased a crashed bugeye from Japan and had it shipped over. From memory it cost about $12k for the halfcut but it included everything. It's definitely the way to go after hearing how much part-scrambling people have had to do when converting their cars!

Good luck with it all, mate. The end results are very rewarding.

Sounds like the car has had a good life with 290,000kms!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#18 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Really not keen on spending any money on this box/engine combo so i might just granma drive it and see how long she lasts.. It only slips when on the beans in 3rd and 4th..

Iv just droped the price on my Dub so that may bring the money in now.. Anyone after a 67 prestine type 3!! That will make me cry if it sells..

http://forums.aussie...c.php?tid=94349

It couldnt be a fluid problem or something like that making it slip ? (i know thats prob a stupid question ) its about 6k past its last service..

Cheers Vice.

#19 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

PHWOAR VW IS MINT!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Nice dubber.

Could be possibly persuaded to swap the sled...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users