#1 Kosti

Kosti

George Clooney's evil twin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

OK lads,

Need to confirm a few things for those who've had the motor out of a B4.

[1] Do you know or have you've seen the spare GALLERY on the block underneath the TMIC? is this available on ALL EJ20?

Posted Image
pix of STi engine

I want to use this to install my OIL PRESSURE SENSOR so need to know before I rip out the TMIC to confirm myself.

NOW, there is also another GALLERY underneath the alternator, but this already has a factory sensor connected, which can be removed without the ECU throwing up error codes, but I do not like the idea of unplugging sensor.

Posted Image

or I can use a GReddy Oil-Filter "Sandwich" Adapter Plate offers 4 connections for different temperature and pressure sensors (3x 1/8 NPT. 1x M12x1.25). The plate is about 1" thin and will simply be mounted in between the oil-filter and the holder plate. (which I've bought already) :suicide2:

Posted Image

Now I am not sure I like the idea of the sandwich adapter, but it does allow for quick additions. However I do like the fact that Subaru already have extra gallery's to tap into, I think these are there for these purposes and so using them makes sense!!

I believe the part number for the HEX plug blocking the gallery under the TMIC is known as a Oil Gallery Plug (037018200 - 11024AA210)
[I will confirm in a few days this part number]

Your thoughts and comments on the above?

Now for Q2.
[2] According to the DEFI manual, the tap thread is 1/8PT and I think the engine gallery thread is NPT.

Now there is a whole world about these type of threads and what they are, but this is what I've found so far.

The Subaru plug is BSPT (otherwise known as PT)
The DEFI Oil Pressure sensor is BSPT (PT)
The METRIC (Celsius) DEFI Oil Temperature sensor is BSPT (PT)
The IMPERIAL (Fahrenheit) DEFI Oil Temperature sensor is NPT

--BSPT is short for British Standard Pipe Thread (weird that a JAP car has BSPT)
--NPT is short for National Pipe Thread.

confused?:wacko::wacko:

So I am not sure how accurate this info is and whether or not I will need an adapter like this?

Posted Image

Can anyone confirm this?
I prefer TWINS!

Now anyone up for a friendly game ?

Posted Image

#2 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

I will check tomorrow kosti, as i will be at Mick where the B4 motor is
MY02 Liberty B4

#3 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:27 AM

Most people use the sandwich plates, can get them from here.

http://www.processwe..._p_oilblock.htm

#4 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

Most use the sandwich plate, but i dont like that idea. if i was doing one i would find a free gallary to tap into, if there isnt one then i would use a T peice that i could screw into where the old oil pressure sensor is and then screw the old one and the new one into the T peice and problem done...Solved. but ill have a look for ya this arvo on the spare motor that i have what is under the IC...

#5 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

I'd go straight to where your exisiting oil pressure switch is now.. the gauge would be alot more accurate then the warning light dude, hence the reason why you have a gauge!... The sandwhich plate is very inaccurate.. I can vouch for that myself.

#6 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

YEAH, I'm not a fan of the Adapter! Lance, let me know if it's there and find out the thread type PT or NPT. Pete, I don't need a sandwidch plate I already have one FFS...:D The Adapters shouldn't be accurate as pressure is pressure, so it should read the same, I just don't like adding when I can use exisiting gallery's that were designed for that purpose.
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

#7 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

Kosti...there are no oil jackets under the IC...right under the IC is the front DIFF which bolts up right to the motor....and there are the water hoses which go to the inside cabin to the heater core......the best thing would be to get a t junction and use it at the same time screw the old oil pressuer for the light so you have that and the new sensor for the guage....

#8 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Did u look in the right spot?

Posted Image

see red circle
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

#9 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

The oil gallery exisit..see even I found it after a few broken bits of crap brittle plastic that subaru use for hose connectors!!! Fu^&*%%(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

in case u still can't see it Johnny it's the one with the hex (allen key) :empathy3:

It was difficult in getting the oil pressure sender in, i mean a real pain if yuo don't want to remove half the engine.

I didn;t get final pix cause the camera died DOH!
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

#10 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

what a dirty engine bay :P

here is the pics i took last weekend for you mate

Back of motor
Posted Image

Front of motor
Posted Image
MY02 Liberty B4

#11 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:07 AM

what a dirty engine bay :P

here is the pics i took last weekend for you mate

Back of motor
Posted Image

Front of motor
Posted Image

Bit late dont u think! :D

I like it dirty, doesn't everyone
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

#12 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

LOL WOW! that really is dirty, and man your oil laying around in the turbo is putrid? what type are you using and often are you changing it? I understand that its going to be a bit dirty but mine doesn't even get half as black as that :S

#13 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

I change oil every 5-6K Royal Purple, the oil in there if also from removing the pollution hoses which seaped some oil and the turbo is from the intercooler, as I've yet to connect up the Oil Catch Can which this the oil sitting in the TMIC. Pull your out and u will see the same........i'll put money on it!

#14 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

I change oil every 5-6K Royal Purple, the oil in there if also from removing the pollution hoses which seaped some oil and the turbo is from the intercooler, as I've yet to connect up the Oil Catch Can which this the oil sitting in the TMIC.

Pull your out and u will see the same........i'll put money on it!

yeah true might be gunky looking from the pollution hoses. When I last took my IC off there was some oil in there but it was only really a light colour, I might just loose oil through the turbo's at such a fierce rate that it doesn't get time to get dirty and burnt :P LOL
Although I bet if I did go and take my IC off now it would probably make a liar out of me :D my car likes to do that.

#15 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

It's in :yahoo:

Posted Image

Posted Image
u need one of these crows foot to tighten her up :)

Posted Image

no sandwich plate, no T piece, just straight access to spare factory oil gallery that Subaru kindly left for me to use...:drinks:

Will do a write up one of these days :wacko:

oh and here is the plastic crap that Subaru use to connect all your emissions in 1 million pieces. <_<

Posted Image

This is my fabrication made of brass! EAT that Subaru :sarcastic:

Posted Image
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

#16 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

Con, If you getg a catch can let me know.. I want one too, and my mech (not indy) can fit them for us bro

#17 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

man that's one tight fit kosti, looks good though. you should have hooked up your catch can while you were right there. your not the first to break that bit of plastic either and that's the best replacement part i have EVER seen mate 11 out of 10 . i wanna oil gauge as well but i can't stand getting the tmic on and off it drives me mad getting back on hehe.
Nothing left to break .

#18 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

oh and here is the plastic crap that Subaru use to connect all your emissions in 1 million pieces. <_<

Posted Image

This is my fabrication made of brass! EAT that Subaru :sarcastic:

Posted Image

Thst looks like the piece i broke trying to install my catch can.......lol

I just used some plastic cement and fixed it up like that.

Although mine wasn't in so many pieces

Just Married

#19 Kosti

Kosti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

That will never break again ever!!!! And yeah I know... I should have done the OCC, farkkkkk but I am wanting to replace my silicon hoses off the TMIC, so I will be back under that TMIC oh and once Jeff gives me that bracket too ;) Brendan, I don't need a mech to do it, and u should have bought one when we did the GB, ur such a tightarse
I prefer TWINS!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users