11 replies to this topic

#1 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

Posted Image

The Subaru BRZ might be most appreciated for reintroducing the adjectives "small," "light" and "fun" to those who prefer not to have a convertible top with their Japanese sports car. Yet, as has been covered before, it's a neat example of packaging, with Subaru engineers having put big ideas into the BRZ's small spaces. The Japanese automaker has knocked together 22 minutes of behind-the-scenes chats with the engineers who made the BRZ to show you how they did it, and how they managed to pack all of the handling and safety bits around the fun bits.

http://youtu.be/cQ0sDiL87eE

http://youtu.be/GdZcX7Hawhk

Original article

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#2 jiggabite

jiggabite

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Saw these the other day, really cool how they relocated little things on the engine to fit it further down in the engine bay, plus all the other little things like modifying the suspension layout

#3 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Wow I knew it was very different, but didn't think it was that different. I really enjoyed the videos, but its funny watching a businessman tell me about a cars performance values hahaha.

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Wow, they really did redesign just about everything. One thing that sticks out in my mind here is the lack of ability to retain one of subaru's trademarks. With that powertrain layout, there is no room to incorporate a normal subie gearbox/front diff layout for AWD. Dropping the engine 12cm wouldn't be so bad, but moving it back 28cm makes connecting front driveshafts to the standard AWD gearbox impossible. If they make an AWD version, it will more than likely incorporate a Skyline GTR style system - IE front diff and engine sump combined, with a tailshaft between gearbox and the front diff.
Same with the standard subie turbo layout - impossible with where they have the starter motor. Not only that, the firewall would be too close to incorporate the turbo at the back. Will be interesting to see what they do here, or if they just make a high horsepower N/A motor for the STi/TRD versions.

Edit: Looks like there will be an AWD model too. Second video, 7:30. Got one on an AWD Dyno.

Edited by allpaw4, 27 April 2012 - 08:11 AM.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Wow, they really did redesign just about everything. One thing that sticks out in my mind here is the lack of ability to retain one of subaru's trademarks. With that powertrain layout, there is no room to incorporate a normal subie gearbox/front diff layout for AWD. Dropping the engine 12cm wouldn't be so bad, but moving it back 28cm makes connecting front driveshafts to the standard AWD gearbox impossible. If they make an AWD version, it will more than likely incorporate a Skyline GTR style system - IE front diff and engine sump combined, with a tailshaft between gearbox and the front diff.
Same with the standard subie turbo layout - impossible with where they have the starter motor. Not only that, the firewall would be too close to incorporate the turbo at the back. Will be interesting to see what they do here, or if they just make a high horsepower N/A motor for the STi/TRD versions.

the throttle body is facing forward though, so you wouldn't need to put the turbo in normal subaru location. low mount = win

MY07 GT spec B

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Indeed, and with the aim to keep weight so low to the ground, they won't go with a TMIC either. They may go with a V mount, but I think a side mount or FMIC would be the design of the day considering the extra room they gain by moving everything back...

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 jiggabite

jiggabite

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

They were saying they can't possibly do AWD with this car due to the engine layout.
Keep the AWD for the WRX and STi, keep RWD for the BRZ as that's what makes it special.
TRD have already made supercharger versions which will be the easiest way to get more power

#8 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Buy BRZ, try to make it WRX. Why?

Posted Image

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Not saying make it a WRX, but the easiest way to make more power (and by more I mean 50% and up) is to bolt on something to generate forced induction. Subaru have very little commercial experience with superchargers, so for them it would make sense to use a turbo. And as far as the AWD, if they made a limited production AWD one, it would be eligible (and competitive) for WRC and a few other forms of motorsport. Its simply good business to try and put a new product into as many places as possible.

Another thought - Supercharger would fit nicely where our power steering pumps normally sit - BRZ has electric pump incorporated into the steering column, so there may be a void there.

Plus, the modifiers will tinker. Will be interesting to see what comes out of Japan.

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

EPS if fail.

#11 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Might just put this here.

Posted Image

And, if you can read Japanese, the above pic came from HERE

250ps.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#12 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Indeed, and with the aim to keep weight so low to the ground, they won't go with a TMIC either. They may go with a V mount, but I think a side mount or FMIC would be the design of the day considering the extra room they gain by moving everything back...

or WAIC... :D

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users