• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

wondering if anyone has done a straight swap from the ej25 to a gt-b gen2 engine? is it an easier conversion than using a wrx engine in terms of bolting it up? how does the oem gear box hold up to both the gt-b and wrx engines (ej207)?

#2 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

you will still need to change the ECU and loom

Im assuming the gt-b loom would be a plug and play though.

Posted Image

#3 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

so you would need to change the ecu for a gt-b swap too? can anyone confirm the plug and play of the loom from the gt-b?

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

in short, the ECU would control the turbo systems. And would be tuned for such a thing.

Also the Twin turbo system in a GT-B is pretty complex, and i'd be suggesting getting a whole front cut, so you aren't chasing down parts.

For this reason(among others) I personally wouldn't go a GT-B conversion as it's simply not easier!

Posted Image

#5 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

have a read through the liberty builds section mate, there are many many who have gone down the conversion route, plenty choosing the GT-B.

one of the nicest examples are Miks car (converted by Scott). check it out here: http://www.subyclub....t-b-conversion/

easiest way is to go a same series GTB half cut as your car as it’s a plug and play conversion. Transfer everything from the halfcut (complete engine bay and wiring) inc gearbox over to your car. pm Scott for more details as he’s done a heap of these conversions in the past. It’s a very easy swap. You should be able to get a gen 2 gtb halfcut for under 2k these days

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#6 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

so i have the 98 rx bilstein edition. just analysing what options are out there for the easiest swap over. the plan isnt for massive power or excessive engine work to be done. i have read through some of the builds but may also get in touch with scott.

considering the gt-b is a twin scroll is there another plug and play option with just a single..... just a thought.

my major 'concern' is the complexity involved with splicing looms and changing ecu's when im not chasing astronomical power. at this stage this is just all hypothetical and part of the r & d phase.

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

GT-B is Twin turbo. Not twin scroll (but i think you may have just used the wrong word for what you mean) :)

Posted Image

#8 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

:sarcastic: learning already!

#9 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

hey mate

a gtb and wrx motor will bolt straight into your car, to get it too run tho you will need

for the gtb motor
-you will need the loom and ecu which will plug straight into your car
- you will need to modify thew radiator to accommodate a headertank inlet
- airbox and afm to suit motor
-you will need a bonnet scoop

the dump pipes will bolt up to your current mid pipe assuming its stock
the gearbox should be ok if your not hard on it but i would recommend the gtb gearbox

for the wrx
it is basically the same apart from
you will need to get the loom spliced into your current loom so that it is plug and play

if i was you i would buy a frontcut so you have everything

if you buy a GTB frontcut everything is 100% compatible and is the easiest conversion
make sure you get the rear diff tho as it is a 4.44 ratio

if you buy a wrx
mechanical wise everything is bolt in, but you need to get the wrx loom spliced into your current loom
you will also need the rear diff for this depending on the ratio

WRX frontcut is better GTB frontcut is easier

#10 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

you can actually plug and play with a gtb loom to run a v3 sti ecu aka wrx engine rob has sorted work out the repin. fairly sure alex's gtb was done the same by al. they can both clarify though

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users