Mioke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hey i'm having some trouble with my liberty at the moment
1 the sunroof doesn't operate properly
2 it leaks really bad.
i thought it had something to do with the sides of the roof with those black panels, but i filled that up with silicon and i still get leaks worse then before. so i'm very much assuming it is the sunroof. could anyone give me a list on what i need to do.
(sunroof does not open due to motor problems) thanks!

#2 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

the drain tubes in the sunroof are blocked mated , you will need to remove the headlining and blow air or just use a garden hose and blow out all the drain tubes.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#3 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

back when i had a sunroof it leaked hard, i fixed it tho, mine ended up being a blockage in one of the drains
if i remember correctly there is a black tube that drains down where the jack, this may be blocked

the silicon probs made it worse, its probably tracking the water away from where it should be going...

#4 Mioke

Mioke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

thanks for the advice! but the only problem is my sunroof wont open, i cant get to the drains at the top of the roof and if i do open the sunroof i might possibly not be able to close it sadly. stupid question but where are the drains located in the roof?

#5 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

they are at the corners

will it not open because its hitting on the silicon? or the motor is dead? blown fuse?

#6 Mioke

Mioke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

motor makes a clicking sound so i assume the motor. nah the silicon is on the sides of the roof where the black panels are on the gen 1 libertys. no silicon in or around the sunroof.

#7 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

ah i see

have you tried helping the motor by giving it a little help?
might be lucky, something could be jammed or it just needs a grease

but as ben said remove your headlining, it should all make sense when you remove that

#8 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

hi mioke it's nick haritsos.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#9 Mioke

Mioke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

i wouldn't of guessed with your BMW friend hahah

#10 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

On my old Gen 3, the sunroof drain tubes were up underneath the front guards. Mine has a very very small leak where the dome lights were, for a few days, but then I blew compressed air into the drain tube, and it unblocked it, and drained all the shit out, and it never leaked again.

Didn't even have to open the sunroof.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#11 Ray Hunnam

Ray Hunnam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hi

Had the same problem with my Gen 1 Ser 2 Wagon. Water would pour into the cabin leaving water stains on the lining. It turned out that the drain tubes were not blocked. ( I rodded them out with a fine piece of wire and blew air up the tubes)

The problem was the sealant on the rails had become brittle over the years and had completely given way. The fix requires the sunroof to be opened. Then with a friends help scrape the old sealant out and reseal with new chalking compound or I used silicon to seal the rails onto the frame. Be careful when lifting the rails off the frame, do not lever them up too high they might bent.

Hope this fixes your problem

Ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users