11 replies to this topic

#1 Russell85

Russell85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Car is a 2006 3.0RB, 140K

The other day, after a cold nite in the bush, when i started the car in the morning, it made a whine noise, like an electric car sound.

when the car was stationary, and the wheel turned left and right you could hear the pitch of the noise change like it was the power steering pump under load.

but after 6-10 k's the noise went away never to return for the rest of the trip home (4hrs)

this morning after a wet and cold night in sydney, the noise done the same thing this morning and after 10 k's it went away.

the power steering fluid is topped up but smelt funny, not sure how it supposed to smell tho,

the whole time the steering feedback has felt normal.

any ideas ?

#2 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

tighten the belt

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#3 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

change the belt

fixed.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#4 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

the power steering fluid is topped up but smelt funny, not sure how it supposed to smell tho,

If it smells burnt or it looks fairly black (should be a bright red, ATF colour), change it.
Bleed it properly, go for abit of a drive, then change it and bleed it again.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#5 Russell85

Russell85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

ill check the color this arvo, i checked it at night, is there a way of tension adjustment? or better off new belt?

in saying that, it does sound belt ish.

#6 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Do they not have electric assisted power steering? I remember driving a Gen 4 and it make a noise similar to what you mentioned when you turn the wheel left to right. I thought it was normal.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#7 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I had to have my power steering pump rebuilt at 146000 klms in my 3 RB.

At full lock it was a very loud whining noise and whilst driving slow and tight corners the steering would get very very heavy intermittently.

It's was about $600 to get it removed sent away and rebuilt and installed again

#8 Ciqiiz

Ciqiiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:cars foood and food :3

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

if your steering is heavier then it was before then the power steering pump is gone
most cases with the sound is either u hav air bubbles in the system or the atf fluid needs to be changed

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Certainly sounds like fluid to me. Might as well change the belt while you're at it though. If the noise gets worse when you hold it on full lock, its definitely the fluid and could possibly have already damaged the pump. Change the fluid first, if it doesnt do it again you'll be fine. My advice would be to get a dealership to change the fluid, so if they kill the pump (which can happen if its done wrong) you can get them to replace the pump.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

If it only made the noise for a minute or two the pump should be fine, especially if it went away.
If you've topped it up, you might need to bleed some bubbles out which is the easiest thing in the world - top it up, leave the lid off and turn the wheel from full lock to full lock a few times (gently, don't smash it into the bump stops). Done. Check the fluid level and top it up if need be.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 Russell85

Russell85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

there was bubbles in the fluid, will try that, the steering hasnt really got heavier at all, when there was a noise, it was deff not as per usual, sounded like i had electric motor transplanted into the beast, if had done that, you guys would probley disown me from this site....

if Hoff had has done at 146K, mines @141K, maybe its just around the corner.

how do bubbles get into the sytem?

legends guys

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

From you description in post #1, it may also be a idler pulley bearing. (inside one of the wheels that guide the belt)

Grab a short length of garden hose and (when it makes the noise) use it to listen around the belt/pump area and see if you can pipoint where it is coming from.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users