aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

It wasn’t quite the same frenzy as queuing outside an Apple store for a new iPhone, but it was close.

The Subaru BRZ coupe – claimed to be the first new car in Australia on sale exclusively online – has sold out in just three hours, which is believed to be a new record locally.

Australian bidding for the international hit opened at midday today, but got off to a slow start as the Subaru website struggled when internet traffic quadrupled.

Customers trying to order a car experienced hours of delays. Callers to the customer assistance line were told they could not leave their credit card details for the $3000 deposit and would have to keep trying the “BUY BRZ” button.

Throughout the afternoon, even after the problem was reportedly solved, several readers – and Drive – continued to struggle to get past the first stage of the buying process: inputting a postcode.

Subaru says the site eventually went "live" about 12.45pm eastern time (about 45 minutes later than planned) with the first customer starting the buying process at 12.50pm and completing the transaction at 1.09pm.

The last car was bought at 3.47pm, the car maker said. The next shipment of unsold vehicles is not due until next year.

Subaru trialled the internet-only buying process because it only has 201 BRZs for the remainder of this year; 50 of Subaru’s 105 dealers bought demonstrator models, leaving 150 or so for retail customers.

Subaru would have had two more cars to sell – but it had to crash two during testing for its five-star safety score.

Sydneysider Kurt Sims, 29, was one of the first buyers to complete a transaction.

“I got on the site at midday and it just kept crashing,” he told Drive. “I called their customer assistance line and they told me to keep trying. They wouldn’t take my credit card details over the phone.”

Sims ordered a red manual BRZ and chose it over the Toyota because, by his calculations, it was cheaper than the Toyota once leather and navigation were removed.

“The only ones you could get within a month were white, grey and black,” he said.

He will have to wait four months for his car – which he bought without taking for a test drive.

Sims, who will park his BRZ alongside his Renault Megane RS250, says he wasn’t worried about buying the car sight unseen.

“I watched videos online and read lots of reviews. I know it has a lack of power but I’m not buying it for that.”

Subaru only announced the pricing of the car at the weekend: $37,150 drive-away, including free scheduled servicing for three years.

Subaru directed customers to its website so it could then allocate the car to the nearest dealer for delivery, rather than have dealers (and customers) squabbling over so few cars.

The Subaru’s twin, the Toyota 86 coupe, is sold out to October for a $29,990 model, and to November for a $35,490 model.

This info and more can be found at: http://smh.drive.com.au[/center]

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

I wish Subaru would have given me one of the BRZ's to crash!

Posted Image

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Wow. The response these things have had is just amazing. All sold out, holy mackeral.

I can only hope now there will be a huge cascade of affordable Japanese sports car in the next 5 years, thanking Toyobaru for starting it!. Bring back the 90's!!

Surely now, given the hype and massive sales success, all marques are going to want a piece of the pie. I reckon Nissan are all arms flailing and bells ringing trying to get a new S16 200SX underway for a similar sub $40k fun-hack.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hyundai Genesis.

RWD. Coupe. 2.0L Turbo.

Released a couple of years ago, in LHD only (Korean native drive).

Most LHD countries got it, we didn't.

Good aftermarket parts support.

Silly Hyundai. We get the pussydeflector i30 instead. 'tards.

It could have EASILY been the new S13/14/15/AE86, the perfect modern budget slider!!!

Posted Image

#5 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

We got that new hot hatch thing from Hyundai, seen a few around. But I dunno why they didnt bring the Genesis here, it even looks decent compared to the shitty old tiburons etc, would have sold like hotcakes.

Nissans current Z is essentially their Z/Silvia, I can't see them making another model. Which sucks because I don't think the current Z does the Z badge any justice. The 300zx was more of a Z if you ask me :)

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hot hatch thing - *rectal abscess.

*Google images that one kids.

(why even mention a FWD grocery go-getter tarted up?!)

I think Nissan WILL make a new S-chassis. Always have, always will. (produce budget sports cars)

#7 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Genesis coming in 2013 Alex.

Well equipped car. LSD, Brembos, 6 speed, 2LT or 3.8 V6.

http://www.caradvice...-for-australia/

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Read in the paper today Nissan have been given the green light on a platform they intend to co-develop with China. Apparently its penned to be an AWD turbo pocket rocket, basically a sub $30k "Mini-GTR". It wont bear any relation to the Silvia or the SX namesake as that project was binned due to the GFC.

Problem with the 370Z, Shiv, is the price. Nissan offer NO performance package under $60-70k. Perhaps with the return of the Pulsar nameplate they could revive the SSS and ruffle the feathers of euro hot hatches et al. I think with the current buzz over the GT86/BRZ, they would be mad to not jump on the band wagon. They are more than capable given ties with Renault and the fantastic hardware they churn out.

On topic of the Genesis, apparently it came in a V8 aswell!

#9 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Since we are talking other brands. I have a feeling Mazda have a small NA rotary powered coupe in the works, lets hope its in the same price bracket as the BRZ.

#10 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

(why even mention a FWD grocery go-getter tarted up?!)

Hey Alex, you know the Genesis is a RWD - assuming that's what you were referring to

Tim.

#11 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hey Alex, you know the Genesis is a RWD - assuming that's what you were referring to

Tim.

He is talking about the Veloster.

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Those things look like giant roaches that need to be squished

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Since we are talking other brands. I have a feeling Mazda have a small NA rotary powered coupe in the works, lets hope its in the same price bracket as the BRZ.

I'm pretty sure Mazda have discontinued the rotary motor. The last RX8 was the final model.

MX5 with 13B would be epic though.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#14 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Mazda have discontinued the rotary motor. The last RX8 was the final model.

MX5 with 13B would be epic though.

Cheers,
Shazza

Nah, the Rx8 was discontinued due to not meeting the new Euro emission standards but they have a 16X rotary engine in the works which is official. The Rx8 was in its final year anyway. They have spent far to much to just give up on it and it is an intergral part of their image.

#15 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

That's so awesome. Gotta suss that one out.

#16 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Not the BRz but you get the idea..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Anyone else notice that the Brz/ft86 has a VOD :)

Posted Image

#18 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I thought MRT's tune did, but everyone else's was fine?

#19 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

yeap it does

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#20 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Pretty horrible power band... nothing below 4000rpm then it starts to kick a bit. Guess its not terrible though for a 2ltr with no boost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users