41 replies to this topic

#21 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

hej guys... you children sure get into trouble without adult supervision huh??? :P i've tried rotating the sub, to no avail. i've also noticed that some cd's are more out of phase than others... alot of the metal i listen to is (near enough to) bang on... but some isn't... though i'm yet to play any techno/trance that is in phase... i'll check the +ve and -ve cables, but i'm usually pretty through with these kinds of things... also, the sub came already installed in the box (it's ported, though i don't know how it's tuned), so i would assume it would be made for it... though you never do know with these name brand bastards... also (again?), my head unit is a newer model pioneer unit, but it's pretty close to bottom of the range, only has one rca out... and no sub control... nor is there an option to delay the speakers... not unless i've missed some secret menu built into to... maybe time to crack open the manual...?? thanks for the input and help guys... it's really appreciated... edit: i'm not sure what gauge my power wire is... i think it's like 8 or 10... how would i check?? (i don't have the box anymore)

2mmwi1w.jpg

#22 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

hej guys...

you children sure get into trouble without adult supervision huh??? :P

i've tried rotating the sub, to no avail.

i've also noticed that some cd's are more out of phase than others...

alot of the metal i listen to is (near enough to) bang on... but some isn't...

though i'm yet to play any techno/trance that is in phase...

i'll check the +ve and -ve cables, but i'm usually pretty through with these kinds of things...

also, the sub came already installed in the box (it's ported, though i don't know how it's tuned), so i would assume it would be made for it... though you never do know with these name brand bastards...

also (again?), my head unit is a newer model pioneer unit, but it's pretty close to bottom of the range, only has one rca out... and no sub control... nor is there an option to delay the speakers...

not unless i've missed some secret menu built into to... maybe time to crack open the manual...??

thanks for the input and help guys... it's really appreciated...

edit: i'm not sure what gauge my power wire is... i think it's like 8 or 10... how would i check?? (i don't have the box anymore)

Chuck up the model of the HU man and we can sus out some specifications for it.

#23 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

edit: i'm not sure what gauge my power wire is... i think it's like 8 or 10... how would i check?? (i don't have the box anymore)

If it is 10g, get it removed and put in 8g minimum :)

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#24 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

yo. so i stand by my opinion (strongly) that crossing your + and - on a single channel in your system is totally noticable. there is plenty of places where you could have mixed up your wiring so have a good look :) and the reason it is more noticeable in your techno style tunes is that the bass is often far more pronounced in these kinds of songs compared to your metal (and most other music made with a real band and not some homeboi on his desktop pc) there fore you notice the out of phase bass... EDIT: have a look on the power wire for its ga - alot of them have it printed on the insulation ;)

#25 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:42 AM

Power wire. but i stand by my opinion that the amp tune isnt right for the sub. also a better HU coz the bottom of the range are shit....

#26 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

Power wire.
but i stand by my opinion that the amp tune isnt right for the sub.
also a better HU coz the bottom of the range are shit....

not trying to sound like a c**k, but how can the amp "tune" not be right for the sub? do you mean, he has set the gain wrong or the low pass filter or just the mono block is sh!t?

again no disrespect, it just doesn't make sense to me. :flag_of_truce:

i agree with the HU tho, tristain why did you buy a HU with only 1 set of rca's?????

#27 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

not trying to sound like a c**k, but how can the amp "tune" not be right for the sub? do you mean, he has set the gain wrong or the low pass filter or just the mono block is sh!t?

i agree with the HU tho, tristain why did you buy a HU with only 1 set of rca's?????

Isn't their heaps of different frequencys and stuff but i dunno how that could affect the timming :unsure:

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#28 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

Isn't their heaps of different frequencys and stuff but i dunno how that could affect the timming :unsure:

It's a mono block, so it "should" already be set for the sub frequency. Normally this would be more of an issue if you were bridging to the sub off a 2 or 4 channel.

#29 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

It's a mono block, so it "should" already be set for the sub frequency. Normally this would be more of an issue if you were bridging to the sub off a 2 or 4 channel.

many mono-blocks have a low pass filter which allows you to adjust the cut off of mid and high frequencies sent to the sub, this allows you to tune the sub to pick up where your midrange mid range leave off usually around 150ish Hz. so mono-blocks are sort of set to sub frequencies but there is some level of adjustment. this still would not affect the delay OP is experiencing though. hence my confusion...

#30 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

many mono-blocks have a low pass filter which allows you to adjust the cut off of mid and high frequencies sent to the sub, this allows you to tune the sub to pick up where your midrange mid range leave off usually around 150ish Hz. so mono-blocks are sort of set to sub frequencies but there is some level of adjustment. this still would not affect the delay OP is experiencing though. hence my confusion...

Cool.. Good to know.

#31 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

you can adjust mine...

goes from 50 to 200...

i generally have it around 120...

i also noticed today, that sound coming through AUX (mp3 player) doesn't seem to have any sub delay...

maybe the HU just sucks at playing CDs...

when i can be F**ked i'll find out what model my HU is and tell you guys...

again, thanks for all the help and input pplz...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#32 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

well how else do you get the bass to the right frequency by tunning the amp....im sorry just thought it was common knowladge that you need to tune the amp to the sub.....its all good mate u werent sounding like a c**k u asked a question which u didnt know the answer to....

but yes the frequency of the sub needs to be set on the amp for best performance of the sub, also gain and filters but that comes down to what type of ampo it is....

#33 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

well how else do you get the bass to the right frequency by tunning the amp....im sorry just thought it was common knowladge that you need to tune the amp to the sub.....its all good mate u werent sounding like a c**k u asked a question which u didnt know the answer to....

but yes the frequency of the sub needs to be set on the amp for best performance of the sub, also gain and filters but that comes down to what type of ampo it is....

Are you talking about the crossover frequency Jovan? If so I don't really see how that will affect whether the bass is in sync with the music. It'll affect how good the bass sounds sure... But timing/response?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#34 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

yes that too...all factors in it..

#35 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Mmm, well just to add my 0.02c worth, I think Jovi is actually correct when it comes to + and - in speakers. Whilst all speakers are marked with + and - they are simple coils, a coil is not reactive to + or - just the flow of energy through it, so because of this if you reverse them to what it says on the unit it won't make a difference, try it one day and you will see. Think of a DC motor, swap the wires around on that it it just spins the opposite way (usually), the engine still spins because the energy flowing through the stator coils is still energising them. I remember back in my audio times you had delays in crossover networks to help subs to provide the right effect for what you wanted, this is still prevalent in modern home theatre systems where you can introduce delay in rear or side speakers to create different effects of space. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#36 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

exactlly what i was getting to Paul..Thanks mate...

#37 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Fair enough, but is it a case of matching the amp and sub by manufacturer or it there some other way of tuning the amp (apart from filters and gain) because if htere is its been doing a good job of hiding from me! haha

Mmm, well just to add my 0.02c worth, I think Jovi is actually correct when it comes to + and - in speakers.
Whilst all speakers are marked with + and - they are simple coils, a coil is not reactive to + or - just the flow of energy through it, so because of this if you reverse them to what it says on the unit it won't make a difference, try it one day and you will see.

Think of a DC motor, swap the wires around on that it it just spins the opposite way (usually), the engine still spins because the energy flowing through the stator coils is still energising them.

I remember back in my audio times you had delays in crossover networks to help subs to provide the right effect for what you wanted, this is still prevalent in modern home theatre systems where you can introduce delay in rear or side speakers to create different effects of space.

Regards
Paul

If you switch the + and - by your own explaination it will result in the speaker going in reverse, or pushing in when it should be pushing out, which isnt a problem if there all doing it but if one out of 4 is it will result in some frequency cancellation and thus not sound quite right.

anyway tristain hurry up and work it out!!!

#38 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

Fair enough, but is it a case of matching the amp and sub by manufacturer or it there some other way of tuning the amp (apart from filters and gain) because if htere is its been doing a good job of hiding from me! haha

If you switch the + and - by your own explaination it will result in the speaker going in reverse, or pushing in when it should be pushing out, which isnt a problem if there all doing it but if one out of 4 is it will result in some frequency cancellation and thus not sound quite right.

anyway tristain hurry up and work it out!!!

the reversal of + and - applys when running 2 subs at the same time...thats when u notice it, but from other speakers which give trebal and minimal bass you wont here it, unless u see it...try it as an experiment the results will be the same...

#39 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

Newb question. If you have 4 speakers with the + and - one way, and then have the sub reversed. Will the Bass from the 4 other speakers (Not subs) be different to the sub?? Sorry if thats been stated previously. Soop = Electrogizmon00bzomgbbq.
TSM

#40 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Newb question.

If you have 4 speakers with the + and - one way, and then have the sub reversed. Will the Bass from the 4 other speakers (Not subs) be different to the sub??

Sorry if thats been stated previously.
Soop = Electrogizmon00bzomgbbq.

The sub will cancel out some of the bass from the speakers. Generally speaking the teeny drivers in regular mids won't go low enough with enough strength to do anything at all.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users