2 replies to this topic

#1 Octane

Octane

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Disclaimer: I didn't take any photo's myself when I disassembled mine, so I've borrowed the photo's and video below from 'Slevin77' (rx7club) and Wayne Edwards (Vimeo) respectively, so credit goes to them.

So I just picked up some brand new RHD Ganador mirrors through Nengun about a month ago, and finally got around to disassembling them for paint.

Step 1:
Remove your front door trim so you can access the mirror connector plug. The door trim will have 3 screws holding it in (2 around the arm rest, and 1 behind the door release catch) as well as some clips around the bottom of the door.

Step 2: Plug your Ganador mirror into the mirror plug socket on the inside of the door below the mirror mount.

Step 3:
This is quite important.
As you can see in the following image, the mirror glass has rubber plugs on the back, aswell as a ball socket.
Posted Image

The mirror pivots on the ball socket. The rubber plugs are threaded into 2 small motors in the mirror housing, and will not come out unless they're completely unscrewed from the motors, which means activating the motors untill the plugs come all the way out. If you try to force them out without unscrewing them with the motors they WILL break off (one of mine broke off before I realised how they were supposed to come apart)

You need to activate the mirror motor in the horizontal direction, and inwards towards the centre of the car until the outside threaded plug unscrews completely and comes free from the motor. Next, you can put your hand behind the glass and pop the mirror off the ball socket, being extremely careful not to break off the other threaded plug. Now you can activate the mirror downwards in the vertical direction, and the other plug should unscrew completely and the mirror should come away.

See this video for a demonstration.

Step 4: Remove the mirrors from the car so you can now work on them on the bench.

You should now be left with something like this (these are upside down though, the pivot ball/socket should be at the top)
Posted Image

Step 5:
On the end of the metal part of the mirror body (where it was mounted to the car), remove the 2 threaded tubes, and the additional screw to undo the wire frame.

Step 6:
You need to remove the frame from the wiring and circuit board so you can pull the wiring through the mirror. Peel back the black foam on the back of the circuit board to access the small screw holding the frame to the circuit board and undo that. The frame should come away once the glue has been broken between it and the circuit board.

Step 7:
You now need to separate both parts of the mirror body. These are held together with springs. The springs are held in place by a small pin on each one in the metal part of the mirror body. You'll need to clip some vicegrips onto the end of the springs where they clip over the pin, then pull the springs out enough, so you can remove the pins. You can now separate the 2 parts of the body, by gently feeding the wire and circuit board through the hole in the metal part of the body as it comes away.

Step 8:
Remove the 2 remaining screws holding the framework inside the mirror body that the springs and motor assembly attaches to.

Step 9:
The final part to remove is the black plastic spacer on the plastic part of the mirror body. You'll need to slide a 7mm ring spanner in from the mirror body side to get on the nyloc nut, and use a screwdriver to undo the screw from the other side. This part will now come away.

This should be all you need to do to prepare them for painting.

I'll take some photo's of my re-assembly procedure and update this when I've got them back together.

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

nice write up mate. I just masked off the mirrors when i painted mine haha

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 CRUISN