• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

hey trendsetters just to ad to the list of problems with my car, the rrhs door has become rather lethargic in locking/unlocking. im taking a stab and thinking the solonoid has reached the end of its life span.. what am i looking at as far as difficulty rating to replace this? if in fact it is it, and what sort of price and stockist would i be looking at to get my hands on one.. cheers btw my06 2.5i if that makes a diff
he who laughs last .. thinks slowest....

TEAM BLUE OVAL

Posted Image[Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

Peice of piss to replace mate. You can do it with basic tools, screw driver and socket set maybe. Depending on what type of solenoid it is, Bursons may stock them.
TSM

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

jaycar have them for $10 that comes with everything you'd need to make fit, its really simple to do as soop said

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

sweet... if only the rest of my cars problems were that easy... any tricks to getting the door panel off??

TEAM BLUE OVAL

#5 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

Just slide your fingers betweent he door car and the door to pop the clips. obviously remove the inner handles and any other trims first.
TSM

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

Thread moved to correct section. That is all :)

#7 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

thanks dylan.. ha ha.. i got lost trying to find my way out of the folders!

TEAM BLUE OVAL

#8 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

time to trade it in buddy

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#9 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

when kurt gets his tune to fix the engine should be fine :P
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#10 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

Burson dont stock them nor does jaycar....its a genuine item only rough estimation $120 coz thats how much the comoshit goes for...and you need more then basic tools...i.e star style screw heads... most manufacturers use them screw heads not sure about the gen4 but they still may use phillips heads... that is all.

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

Well, I dunno. But the one I replaced not 2 weeks ago in my own car was easy. 10mm nut and a plastic clip. But then I'm no 12v electrician :rolleyes:
TSM

#12 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

Burson dont stock them nor does jaycar....its a genuine item only rough estimation $120 coz thats how much the comoshit goes for...and you need more then basic tools...i.e star style screw heads... most manufacturers use them screw heads not sure about the gen4 but they still may use phillips heads...

that is all.

isnt this all he needs?
http://www.jaycar.co...I...=&SUBCATID=

they come with mounting brackets and screws, he doesn't HAVE to go OEM, but it would probably be easier, personally i'd taker the $10 way out

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#13 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

^^ Pretty much what i got. Although mine had a tab to mount it properly. Took ~20mins to do it. A lazy 20mins at that.
TSM

#14 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

what you have stoop is an after market door actuator...which dosent look nothing like the subaru one...and yes your no 12v electrician your paint thrower so stick to that..... and if he is lucky he might just get away with the solenoid, if the gen4 is unlucky like the comodores then he will have to buy the whole lock and solenoid togather....

#15 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Kurt. My Central Locking is OEM... The pain in the arse infared deal. It just has an actuator on the rod that opens the lock. In the case of the Gen2 anyway. Cheerio.
TSM

#16 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

thank you for the usefull info, as said in the first post, im only assuming that it is the solenoid.. does anyone think it could be anything else?? its just rather lethargic and sometimes does not engage the lock fully.. or disengage for that matter. all other doors are working fine.. poop i can see what your saying bout the jaycar ones, but i think what jovan was saying is, well im assuming anyway is that there might be a slight difference in how the elecs of a gen2 are in comparison to a gen4.. ive not yet challenged myself to get the door panel off yet, as knowing me i will break something else!! could it be anything else that is going on me?? could understand it having a high price to it, but i know with my limited experience with cent lock, that in the back it is just a rod as per what poop said.. so i cant see how it NEEDS to be genuine subaru caper

TEAM BLUE OVAL

#17 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

thank you for the usefull info, as said in the first post, im only assuming that it is the solenoid.. does anyone think it could be anything else?? its just rather lethargic and sometimes does not engage the lock fully.. or disengage for that matter. all other doors are working fine..

poop i can see what your saying bout the jaycar ones, but i think what jovan was saying is, well im assuming anyway is that there might be a slight difference in how the elecs of a gen2 are in comparison to a gen4.. ive not yet challenged myself to get the door panel off yet, as knowing me i will break something else!!

could it be anything else that is going on me??

could understand it having a high price to it, but i know with my limited experience with cent lock, that in the back it is just a rod as per what poop said.. so i cant see how it NEEDS to be genuine subaru caper

Have you tried pulling the door skin of and giving it a spray with some WD40? It might just be gunked up. You might be able to loosen it up again without having to worry about a new solenoid/actuator.

#18 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

Yeah thats not a bad idea Chris, Road grime/dust does get into the door. You could even try spraying some contact cleaner on the solenoid its self. Failing that, I reckon you need to replace the solenoid.
TSM

#19 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

well ive had a lil play around, took the door off... panel that is not the litteral door... lol.. all seems to work ok.. its just... slower than the rest... it still locks, its still moves freely, still does the job, just a distinct half a second slower than the other 3 doors.. took me a while to find the 3 screws that hold the door on mind you.. damn it!! lol threw some wd40 in there, see if that cleans it up a bit and smoothens out the operation...

TEAM BLUE OVAL

#20 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

good to hear u didnt break anything lol. dont think the wd will help that much mate but let us know how it goes. had this prob with the gen3 but never fixed it >.>
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users