←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Jack's Gen3 02 RX

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 01 Oct 2013

Did not know that! I will have to test some out for sure now. I was always under the assumption they were just lots better.
I have a trip to Bundaberg next year and wish to take my car.
Put the stockies back on, raise coilovers to 4x4 spec and chuck on mud flaps. So I will do lots of research on the spot lights.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 01 Oct 2013

Theres a few blokes up here who are putting them on their 4WDs. Have had a chat to 3 guys so far, and the consensus on what they do light wise all seem to be about the same. I was interested in them for the missus' car, as we do a lot of highway driving in it, and concluded that a pair of decent spotties will out-perform them. However, for our cars (at least that awesome little mounting point you have) the light bar may well do better than the Narvas.

Yeah because the Narvas are only a pencil beam. I want it a bit more wide spread. Knowing me, I'll go overboard and have both haha

Adam's Photo Adam 01 Oct 2013

Light bar on the roof or gtfo :D

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 01 Oct 2013

Light bar on the roof or gtfo :D

Or rally pod on the front

Yeah I'd love a rally pod! Don't want to get defected 15-16 hours away from home though haha. And for the purposes of this trip roof mounted may be the way to go. I'll find some roof rails.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 01 Oct 2013

The only issue I see you running into with a roof mount is how to get the wiring there. You will have to either drill a hole through the roof, or run the wiring up the outside of the pillar. Holes in the roof are illegal, even if the chances of getting done for it is slim. Roof is structural AFAIK. Do some research on this first though. The other thing is, by the letter of the law, high beams/spotlights are not allowed to be mounted above the drivers eye level. This law is designed to avoid people coming the other way being needlessly high beamed.

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 01 Oct 2013

The only issue I see you running into with a roof mount is how to get the wiring there. You will have to either drill a hole through the roof, or run the wiring up the outside of the pillar. Holes in the roof are illegal, even if the chances of getting done for it is slim. Roof is structural AFAIK. Do some research on this first though. The other thing is, by the letter of the law, high beams/spotlights are not allowed to be mounted above the drivers eye level. This law is designed to avoid people coming the other way being needlessly high beamed.

Fark, I see this all the time; and it was my intention to get some roof mounted ones eventually...

Adam's Photo Adam 01 Oct 2013

Drilling holes in the roof may not actually be illegal. We do it at work all the time to fit mine spec roof bars and tail lights. I will see if I can find out! Because just because we do it doesn't mean it's okay, hahaha

There's no way in hell I am drilling holes in my roof for something that's only going to be there for 3 weeks.
I'm fine with running wiring up pillars etc. And I did not know that about the above eye level thing. Although technically if you do anything to your car ever it's illegal.
A) I don't think I'd ever get pulled over for that.
B) if it's a LED bar I doubt they'd notice it.

Interested to hear about the legality of the holes thing.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 02 Oct 2013

My knowledge of the holes thing comes down to crash details. If you damage your roof, say have someone step in the middle of it for arguments sake, and the crease left there goes to a single point, most crash shops will write it off structurally. So I have pretty much just extended that out to holes too. It cannot be repaired. The other side of that is that the roof of a car (especially our gen 3's) is actually part of the structure, and therefore is technically not allowed to be tampered with. I agree, it is a rule that will be ignored most of the time, but that is my interpretation of it based on what I have been told by various people in the car industry.

Oh, the other part of this is from parcel shelves. Dont put holes in them and expect a thorough RTA or equivelent engineer to pass you. Parcel shelf is also considered structural to my knowledge.

Adam, mine sites are a strange world. I know we in SA had state laws changed to allow BHP to run reflective tape down the sides of all vehicles. Linfox apparently had several site compliant trucks defected before they changed the laws. Would not be surprised if they changed this law for that purpose also.

I'm happy to be corrected here if I'm wrong guys, please don't take my word as gospel! I need to get in contact with Regency soon anyways, might put some of these questions to them while I'm on the phone.

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 02 Oct 2013

yeah I'm not sure. otherwise all hail damaged cars ever would be unroadworthy. 

otherwise some good point.

however that brings me to this question:
are there rood racks/rails for gen3 sedans??

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 02 Oct 2013

answered my own question!!
http://www.ebay.com....13aa8dea&_uhb=1

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 02 Oct 2013

Thats something I hadn't though of. Although hail will normally dent not pin point it. Anyways, will ask regency when I call them later next week...

I know there are some crash shop boys on this forum, can you shed any light?

Sweet, that would do the job nicely! If you use smallish wiring, you may be able to run it under the window seal to avoid the wind noise.

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 03 Oct 2013

answered my own question!!
http://www.ebay.com....13aa8dea&_uhb=1

I'll sell you mine for 130 instead of 150, if I can find em! :)

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 03 Oct 2013

go fetch! haha yeah if you find em send me a pic.

Mbooma's Photo Mbooma 18 Oct 2013

I hav a set in my garage just dont hav the brackets but thats easy to make out of plastic or metal u can hav them for $100 as i dont want them txt me if u wanna grab em 0412136335

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 23 Oct 2013

go fetch! haha yeah if you find em send me a pic.

Yeah I've got em, will do so now! :)

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 08 Jan 2014

so i was bored and decided to do something a bit different. i know peoples opinion will be quite polarised on this, but i don't care. my car and I'm really happy how it turned out. haha

the paint on these pieces were getting pretty bad. so defeated at my painting skills, i turned to vinyl wrapping. i can say i am much better at that. and these were some difficult fiddly pieces. i WAS going to do the window switches on the doors, but decided they are near impossible.

*ignore the 6months of un-vacuumed interior*

PiWBd6bl.jpg

JbrFYSQl.jpg

po0f8IIl.jpg

WALKER's Photo WALKER 08 Jan 2014

Actually looks pretty good :)