4 replies to this topic

#1 Mimic

Mimic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Subaru, Rally, Music, Film, Ladies

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

I have a 2004 N/A Liberty 2.5i and I really really want to get a tad more power out of her. I'm not talking 100KW or anything like that. And I don't really care if its not able to keep up with GT's. I just want a bit more punch off the start because its really slow off the mark at lights and I feel like a lady!! I used to drive a V6 holden with about 150KW and that was pretty good off the mark so I'm thinking like 30KW power is what I'm after because the Liberty is 121KW. One thing I know for sure is I don't want to go turbo. I have read the threads on Modding N/A's and had some advice off Brendan and just came here to ask if anyone else has some advice so I can figure out a good solution and get this Subaru driving like a Machine. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, I just want a couple of quick and cheap mods if there is some available.

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Manual or Auto? Unfortunately the Auto will always feel a little sluggish compared to it's manual counterpart. You're quite limited to the mods you can do without breaking the bank on an NA Lib and an extra 30kw is probably not realistic, although not out of the question. If you go for the most common NA mods, you will probably pick up approx 10kw if you're lucky and a few bits of torque. However, the way that the torque is distributed can be altered with these mods, making the car more lively lower in the rev range. I'd suggest the following: Extractors - You will need to get these custom made, go for uneven length if you want a boxer rumble. Cat back straight through sports exhaust. 2.25 inch will be about as big as you want to go on an NA, otherwise it will be all noise and any benefits will be lost through loss of back pressure. Avoid canon mufflers, these are not a good look or sound on an NA system. Removal of resonators from air intake, or installation of a CAI, similar to what you see on turbo varients. You will see minimal if no increase in power from this, more of a placebo effect from the cool noise it makes. Chip it for 98 RON fuel, kind of expensive with minimal gain. How much money do you want to spend?

#3 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

How much money do you want to spend?

lol! That should have been your FIRST question! :)

Seriously though, Brenda talks a lot about boys weeing implements a lot but he has contributed at least 1 good thread on this site, worth a read.

Modding a N/A, The truth

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#4 Mimic

Mimic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Subaru, Rally, Music, Film, Ladies

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:16 AM

Yeah I've read the thread and was getting ideas from it. Its an Auto and I'm looking at spending say a grand. I'm not after a heaps loud chocco car that everyone says "fully hectic cuz did you hear the subbie", I just want my Liberty to have a little more bang for her buck off the start. Am I asking to much from my 2.5? I'm starting to think I should of just gone GT. There must be something worthwile to do to it though!

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Yeah I've read the thread and was getting ideas from it. Its an Auto and I'm looking at spending say a grand. I'm not after a heaps loud chocco car that everyone says "fully hectic cuz did you hear the subbie", I just want my Liberty to have a little more bang for her buck off the start. Am I asking to much from my 2.5? I'm starting to think I should of just gone GT. There must be something worthwile to do to it though!

Yep, you should have gone for a GT if you want bang for your buck.

$1000 will get you a nice sports exhuast and extractor system. It will give your car more response off the mark, but only marginal gains will be seen.

Mate, do some minor mods onn it just to improve how it drives, exhaust, suspension.. Then save money to upgrade to a bigger and badder model in a few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users