aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

Subaru's BRZ coupe could soon set itself properly apart from its Toyota production mate, with reports out of Europe this week suggesting a turbo model is in the works.

According to industry paper Automotive News Europe, Subaru has begun work on a turbocharged and direct-injected version of its 2.0 litre boxer engine.

While no source for the information is provided, the report adds that the engine, expected to produce around 208kW and 340Nm of torque, is bound for the BRZ.

In its regular guise, the BRZ is driven by a naturally-aspirated boxer engine that produces 147kW and 205Nm, mated to a six-speed manual transmission or an optional six-speed auto.

The report says that the engine uses both turbocharging and direct injection, developed in-house at Subaru, rather than the BRZ's direct- and port-injected system engineered with Toyota.

Whether the engine will indeed find its way into the BRZ remains to be seen, but a debut in the next-generation WRX is a likely course for the turbo mill.

Subaru itself has yet to confirm plans for a more powerful version of the BRZ, although last year's STI-badged BRZ concept, with pumped guards and a big rear wing, could offer a glimpse of what's to come.

This info and more can be found at: http://www.themotorreport.com.au

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Its stupid rumours, no substance! Auto websites thrive on untrue rumours. They even say in the article that 'no source' was provided for the information.The quoted power figures are just the standard power limit for JDM cars.

The BRZ has been a huge success in its current form.

#3 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

There is no reason not to offer a turbo option for the car, they would certainly sell like hotcakes if they can price them near the WRX. But the reports of some half arsed AWD system are total bullshit in my opinion. Supra is a pipe dream too lol, like most things promised/rumoured I'll believe it when I see it. The BRZ as it is right now is perfect for this economy. There is a handful of them in my area already (FT86's though).

#4 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

In other news, Subaru has partnered with GM, to fit a LS7 to their next model BRZ for more power. No source though.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#5 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Its stupid rumours, no substance! Auto websites thrive on untrue rumours. They even say in the article that 'no source' was provided for the information.The quoted power figures are just the standard power limit for JDM cars.

What? In the 90's maybe, nowadays there are plenty of Japanese cars with more power than that.

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yea, they got rid of the gentlemans agreement a few years back. I wouldnt be surprised if they were sussing a small turbo system though. I call bullshit on AWD, but turbo is viable. And Subaru weren't happy about being pinned down by Toyota regarding the port/direct injection fuel system. I have heard rumours that Subaru wanted their direct injection used, so to see them do it to a future model would not be surprising.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

There is no reason not to offer a turbo option for the car, they would certainly sell like hotcakes

Accept for the reason that they already sell like hotcakes!

What? In the 90's maybe, nowadays there are plenty of Japanese cars with more power than that.

Yeah, you are correct, they lifted the regulations in 2004. But you can definitely see how someone creating rumours could get this figure.

#8 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

In other news, Subaru has partnered with GM, to fit a LS7 to their next model BRZ for more power. No source though.

Forget the LS7, get an LS9 (factory blown)
I heard HSV are going this way next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users