• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have a bit of a tricky one, and before I burn the car I'm going to give it one last try...

Basically the misses was driving down the m7 last night when apparently it felt as though someone slammed on the brakes, the front left seemed to drop and the front left wheel locked and the car stopped. After managing to get it off the road I got the dreaded call... First assumption was a wheel bearing...

She started the car 5mins later and it drove, but there was a really bad grinding noise. So after getting the car towed home I had to reverse it into the garage, there was a thumping feeling through the car very similar to a wheel bearing has gone or was about to shit itself.

Lifted the car up, and there was no movement in the hub at all, so I was slightly confused. Removed the brake caliper and rotor, still no signs of any wear or damage..!

This was the bit that confuses me, I will try describe it the best I can but will get a video together when I get home. With the wheel, caliper and rotor off if you grab the wheel studs and turn the hub by hand (either clockwise or anti clockwise) there is what seems to be free play for about an inch left and an inch right, when you move it there is a horrible clunk from the box, roughly in the middle...

That's the best I have, if anyone has any advice apart from either burn the car or sell it I'm all ears..!

#2 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Only way to really find out is to undo the axle nut, remove the axle and check the bearing out a bit closer.
If totally stuffed you may need a new hub, which is no big deal to replace, probably easier than than a bearing replacement.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#3 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Ok so to know if the bearing is stuffed I need to actually remove the shaft and or hub..? I was told there would be wheel movement if the bearing was gone

#4 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yes you will get wheel movement unless it almost seized or in a position wherer it's in tight and grabbed the shagged bearing.
What else have you checked? Check out the axle/cv's and even move the axle around and listen to the gearbox.

#5 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

the hub isn't seized, I can still move it by hand, there is no movement in the hub or shaft at all, everything is as solid as a rock, but there is the noise in the boxththat is a clunking...

When you rotate the wheel by hand and sit in the car you cam hear what sounds like a rubbing/grinding noise

#6 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

You mentioned a thumping feeling when you were backng it into the garage.
Can you drive the car forward and turn the steering wheel to the left and drive, then do the same whilst turning right.
Centre diff can make the car shudder whilst turning at low speed. Feels like a plated front diff.
I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit because grinding in the gearbox is never good and I'm trying to go through the easy fixes first.

#7 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Don't Auto's have a solenoid for the centre diff that shits themselves?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#8 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Sounds similar to my gearbox/diff problem but mine still drives

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Maybe take wheel off, drop lower control arm off the ball joint, take outer CV out of the hub. Check the hub - if it suddenly spins freely, with little resistance, its the driveshaft/CVs/gearbox.

Odd for it to lock up one wheel if its a diff/gearset issue If its going to lock up, wouldnt it lock both front wheels? Maybe the LH gearbox spline bearing is shagged?

EDIT - if it locked up after a bit of time at higher speeds, and then let go again after 5 minutes, its definitely going to be a bearing somewhere. Just need to find where.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

alright seems like a bit of a retarded thing to happen but i have sorted it out...\

when i drained the box to refresh the oil as it was excessively old, i found 2 drain plugs on the bottom of the box, so i assumed that one was a filler and one was a drain plug similar to rear diffs... so i opened both to drain the box faster...

turns out that was a brain fart, cause there are 2 different filler necks (the one on the passengers side is easier to see than the one on the drivers)... well after some further investigation and cleaning of the box, the front or upper so called "filler" was actually the drain plug for the front diff and the lower or rear one was the drain for the centre diff...

so basically i drained the front diff (or convertor case as its more commonly known) of all the oil and then didnt fill it back up... so the torque convertor and front diff basically ran dry..! hence causing a new practice behind the workings of internal combustion..!

so thats the end of that box, time to get a new one..!

#11 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Ouch, I have alot of them.

Once I forgot to put the sump plug back in and started filling the car with lovely fresh oil. (I relised after oil started running through my toes) Had to walk down to super cheap to buy more oil.

Good thing is I never started the car.....

#12 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

6speed h6 time

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#13 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

have been considering a manual conversion, not 6 speed but just a 5 speed, mechanically is easy the wiring is the worst part and pretty much what turns me off the idea

#14 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

The 4.11 RX liberty single range on mine is alright.

Manual ones feel HEAPS quicker.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#15 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was considering 5 or 6 speed but the wiring will do my head in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users