Photo

Battery Dead? Fuel pump activates, interior electronics freak out on start.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 mr-smithers

mr-smithers

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Drums, photography, BMX and of course cars!

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but the same thing happened to my gen3 this morning! Has only been 3 days since I last drove, wouldn't even click over. Clutch started her when I got home from uni and drove around for 5-10 and it felt fine again, then when I parked and turned the car off when I got home the same thing happened when I tried to start it back up just after... Next move is obviously a jump start, but if the car can't hold a charge I'm guessing it's time for a new battery? Lucky this happens AFTER I spend my money on a head unit...  <_<

#22 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

yup - dead-o battery. They tend to just drop a plate or two and then its bye-bye.

#23 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

Check your fluid levels in a dead battery before you jump start it. Last thing you want is a battery explosion under the bonnet. Acid does bad things.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#24 mr-smithers

mr-smithers

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Drums, photography, BMX and of course cars!

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

Didn't end up jump starting it, but pulled it out to charge overnight tonight and noticed an engraving that said **/**/2009 hahaha I couldn't even drive when it was put in... probably about time for a fresh one

#25 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Yea, I should have realised sorry. When the interior electrics do the fast cycle thing it means battery voltage is enough to trigger them on, but the volt drop of turning things on is enough to make the electrics drop out again. As you say, new battery time when that happens. You can refurbish the plates and put in new acid, but you're just prolonging the inevitable.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#26 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

Gonna raise an old thread here.  Long story short.  Drove to work this Monday morning no problem after leaving my Soobee sit over the weekend (it's my get to work HOS).  After work went to start my Soobee and no crankee (not even a click) with a complete blank dash when trying to crank.  A fella at work had one of those battery banks which didn't have much charge left in it but was enough to get a slow crank which started my Soobee.  Got home, pulled the Calcium battery out and stuck it on an old 13.8V charger as it's all I have (yeah I know it needs a higher charge voltage to strip out Sulphation).  The charger is showing continuous full charge even after three hours; the instructions say disconnect the charger as it may cause problems.  Checked the single cell window and there's a hint of green down there.  I'll check continuity of the -ve battery terminal to engine/starter tomorrow morning and give the terminals a clean but unless it's something basic as those mentioned my current thinking is I'm up for a replacement battery.  Anyone care to dis-agree as I'm all eyes if I can save some $.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users