4 replies to this topic

#1 nielonsx

nielonsx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Improving Subaru Fuel Economy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Just had to fix this common problem.Identified by water running down from the open tailgate after a good wash or heavy rain, water vapour droplets visible on the reversing lights and rusty globe sockets for the reversing light globes. Easily fixed however just fiddly.

1. Remove the rear interior panel. It is held on by 5 plastic plugs at the bottom and then it can be pulled from the metal panel starting at the edge where the black trim meets the light plastic trim. There is also an internal clip close to the base.
2. Remove nuts holding the garnish. The outside nuts are special and long, don't lose the clear washers!. Make sure you get ALL the nuts holding the garnish, I usually miss one or two at first and the garnish will not come out. Make sure you get the two nuts holding the keylock. You need a deep 8mm socket.
3. Reapply some nuts loosely and lightly tap with a socket on an extension with a rubber hammer to loosen the garnish and move it away from the metal tailgate.
4. Remove the nuts and remove the garnish.
5. Thoroughly clean and dry the top of the garnish where it meets the grey backing plate and allow to dry.
6. If the leaking has been very bad and there is a lot of dirt inside, use some diluted window wash and a hose and clean it up, drain and let dry in the sun with all lightglobes removed to air dry
7. I use a caulking gun with Selleys clear bathroom sealant and fill up the top gap completely as well as applying some to the screw heads on the plastic rear panel (top only)
8. Cleanup any mess you've made on the red part with mineral turps and let the whole shebang dry for min 3 hours.
9. Use whatever you have to polish the red part while it is all out. Put on a protective wax if you have used headlight stuff.
10.Put garnish back in the tailgate paying particular attention that the ends go BELOW the rubber window strip
11. Put the nuts on and GRADUALLY tighten from one end to the other. Make sure there are NO washers or nuts left over LOL
Not TOO tight or you will break the plastic anchor holding the bolts.
12 Line up the interior trim starting at the bottom and push/tap in the fastener. Do likewise at one edge then the other edge. Make sure you get correct alignment on the upper interior trim. There is a slot and a hook. Tap in the other fastener, insert the 5 plugs at the bottom.
13. Voila, leaking garnish fixed!!

PS.Between step 6 and 12 I modified the rear foglight wiring on the drivers side and made the same socket arrangement on the passenger side to get the JDM "Finisher" light effect on rear and brake lights. Shiv has seen it on my other car. Still trying to figure out how to rewire it so the they can act as both rear foglights AND stoplights. I'll make this another project when I've learned how to add pics or video. You'll need a holesaw for 26mm, a very sharp knife, 2 stop/tailight sockets, 2 stop/tailight globes, some clip in terminals to go into existing sockets , some hookup wire and lots of patience!

Between 10 and 11 I fitted a buzzer to the tailgate locking mechanism so the car now has a loud beep on LOCK and a very soft beep on UNLOCK. I can elliminate the soft beep but just too lazy.

Between 6 and 10 it is alo ideal to add the power wiring and video cable for existing or future rear camera so you don't have to pull all this apart when you get a round tuit!

Have fun!!

#2 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Bathroom urethane is a pretty shit idea. Use Sikaflex or Windscreen urethane - atleast they are made for the weather.
And use Wax & Grease remover or Prepsol before applying it too.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#3 nielonsx

nielonsx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Improving Subaru Fuel Economy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yes, you are right, don't always have that on hand, as soon as you use Sikaflex it starts to go off in the bag or cylinder, wax remover would be better but turps has worked OK so far and I have done a few if you look at my intro when I joined the forum. The sealant I used is actually the outdoor clear glass one, I thought it was the same as the bathroom one... Smelt the same , looked the same, felt the same, made the same mess........

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

If you use Sikaflex, you will NEVER* get tha garnish off. That **** be good.
For that sort off stuff I use non hardening windscreen sealant. Bonus is you can clean it with turps.

*unless they make a non hardening version.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Yes, you are right, don't always have that on hand, as soon as you use Sikaflex it starts to go off in the bag or cylinder

So you'd spend $5 instead of $15 and do a half arsed job?

If you use Sikaflex, you will NEVER* get tha garnish off. That **** be good.

You don't Sikaflex the garnish on - it goes between the lens and the backing/base/housing, then bolts onto the liftgate.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users