8 replies to this topic

#1 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hey all, checked out a new donk for the lib and when it was idling it sounded mint but when i started revving you could hear a tapping noise coming from the left head, not sure what it could be though, any ideas?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, Joe

#2 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

That's the horse powers trying to get out, What you are actually hearing is the sound of 165 shetland pony hooves running faster as you rev the engine.

They changed to fully grown horses in the SOHC engines, They tend to be a bit more reliable.

On a serious note, It's pretty normal as EJ's get older to get a bit of valvetrain noise. How many km's are on it?

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Noisy lifters?

Posted Image

#4 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

+! for noisy tappets.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#5 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I was thinking noisy lifters, maybe even because the engine wasnt started for 3 months and it was low on oil?

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

The noise usually goes away as it warms up and everything gets juicy. It can be a couple things, but if it does it under initial load (revving) and not at idle its probably lifters. Mines done it a couple times on cold winter mornings.

#7 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

I want a juicy motar.

#8 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

You think it's worth getting the whole car and then stripping it for parts? Its a stat write off 98 heritage smashed from the back and a tap from the front, engine and drivetrain still good though, but its an auto >.<

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

could just be the tensioner... is it there at idle? or on rev and then as it backs off even more? pull the belt covers off and run it.. screwdriver onto the tensioner and listen (like a stethoscope) CAREFULLY!!! dont want you to loose a digit ;)

ej25d has bucket and shim.. if its noisy it will need the clearances done but i have seen many of these with 200k+ and they have never been noisy..
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users