←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

P Platers allowed to drive turbo?(NSW)

SC00BY's Photo SC00BY 13 Dec 2012

Hey all, was informed that p plates are allowed to get an exemption for a moderate high performance vehicle without any employment purpose behind it as long as it fits within a couple of specs such as;
100kw/T to 125kw/t or if they weigh over 1410kgs and are under 165kw.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Cheers, Joe

cameron's Photo cameron 13 Dec 2012

i can tell you now 100% you will not get it

nickknack's Photo nickknack 13 Dec 2012

Move to Canberra. HT.H

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 13 Dec 2012

What's the point of driving a turbo car if it's slow? :wacko:

Is it for hecktic fluttaz bro?

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 13 Dec 2012

Hi,

As far as I can see the exemption applies mainly for turbo diesels. I'm far too old to give a shit, and my first car was a Honda Odyssey.

This concludes the ramblings of SkillOne in this thread.

Cheers,
Nik

Liberty's Photo Liberty 13 Dec 2012

Not even worthwhile. Don't waste your time man, trust me.

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 13 Dec 2012

Posted Image

SC00BY's Photo SC00BY 14 Dec 2012

I can drive a forester gt because its a moderate perfomance vehicle? :L and an ej20t will be alot easier to pull abit.more power out of than my n/a scooby ;)

Guest_KONG_* 14 Dec 2012

I can drive a forester gt because its a moderate perfomance vehicle?

I don't understand this. Are you asking a question or making a statement?

Is a forester GT a moderate performance vehicle? I wouldn't think so :nea:

You are dying to get off your P's aren't you mate :empathy3:

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 14 Dec 2012

All turbo subarus put out more than 165kW. Unless its the really early models, but then, you get more power and speed out of a late model commodore than you will the old turbos. That and I believe it will have to satisfy all the rules, not just one of them to pass.
Couple that with the lack of having owned the vehicle before (and not just a few weeks) the new laws came to pass, and you will be denied everytime. Great way to piss away money with the applications.

Give up, and wait.

hoff's Photo hoff 14 Dec 2012

Just buy Bens SVX.

The exemptions are free to apply aren't they?
And all Forester 79v GT's are listed as moderate performance due to their power to weight ratio, can even get an exemption for a Golf Polo gti 1.8T which stock pulls 110kw that can be easily retuned with a better exhaust and cai to 150kw+

And yes...I'm dying to get off my P's, another 2 years to go >.<

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 14 Dec 2012

Have a proper read of "EVERYTHING" before you start assuming and making an ass of yourself...

Read, learn, read some more, learn some more... Do ALL your research before totally satisfied and stepping into things...

If your driving skill is is even twice as good as your knowledge, you've got a lot to learn before you can start driving a turbocharged performance vehicle... Incompetence will not save you on the road

http://www.rta.nsw.g...conditions.html

http://www.rta.nsw.g...ce_vehicles.pdf
  • This is a guide only. Engine Power may vary according to release year.
  • Please note that even if the vehicle is classified as a moderate performance vehicle, the vehicle is still regarded as a prohibited vehicle and an exemption to drive the vehicle must be approved and obtained from Roads and Maritime Services before the holder of a provisional license is able to drive the vehicle.
Even my car is considered a moderate performance vehicle according to that list but that doesn't mean you would be allowed to drive it...

Subaru forester is listed as a moderate performance vehicle, so no, i'm not making an ass of myself, moderate performance vehicles can be the reason behind the exemption.

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 14 Dec 2012

There is a 0% chance of you getting an exemption to drive a turbo vehicle.

Hence why I built my N/A engine to be quicker then a turbo so I can drive it and own all teh turbo n00bs.

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 14 Dec 2012

Subaru forester is listed as a moderate performance vehicle, so no, i'm not making an ass of myself, moderate performance vehicles can be the reason behind the exemption.

Posted Image

you clearly havent read everything...

Please note that even if the vehicle is classified as a moderate performance vehicle, the vehicle is still regarded as a prohibited vehicle and an exemption to drive the vehicle must be approved and obtained from Roads and Maritime Services before the holder of a provisional license is able to drive the vehicle.

Good luck wasting your time trying to get an exemption... You have hardly driving experience and im guess this "forester" will not be your families only car (one of the main reason for exemptions)

As i said before, do all your research first, read read read, learn learn learn and when your done doing that, read some more...

We dont know anything here and just make up shit for you not to listen too...

end rant...

I know that...i'm saying the exemption can be given to.you without employment purposes being behind the reason -.-'

Morgan's Photo Morgan 14 Dec 2012

Pretty sure you need a legitimate excuse for an exemption.

Ie. You can't just walk in and say, "I feel like driving a turbo. Give me an exemption."

Just wait out the two years like everyone else. It will go fast and you'll be a better driver.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 14 Dec 2012

Hi,

The word is ARSE.

Cheers,
Nik

Adam's Photo Adam 14 Dec 2012

so I can drive it

Can you?? :P :P