15 replies to this topic

#1 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi all.

Wondering if I could get some help on a little issues that came up on a cruise yesterday.

When I turn right and accelerate, i'll hear a knocking on the RHS , coming from under the passenger seat. I've had a problem like this with my old BMW and it was the driveshaft center bearing that was shagged. I know the front CV joints need to be replaced, but I know it's not those.

Also- a quick (very!) search of the interwebzz tells me I can't just buy the center bearing for the tailshaft, is this a fact or subaru just trying to squeeze money from hardworking subaru owners?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Car is: 2001 Liberty b4, 116,000kms manual

1994 Mitsubishi Magna | 1992 BMW 325i | 2001 Subaru Liberty B4

Posted Image

#2 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

It sounds very much like the CV to me mate. When you turn, does it knock in repetition?

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#3 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

It sounds very much like the CV to me mate. When you turn, does it knock in repetition?

Cheers,
Shazza

oh yeah the front CV/s are shagged. It kocks not so much on repetition but yes the CV's need replacing.

This knock though, sounds like it's coming from the middle to middle-rear of the car, just under the passenger seat/ just to the left of the trans tunnel (from driver view)

Posted Image

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Busted lower control arm bushes? Tell tale is they will be leaking oil.

Posted Image

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Gearbox mount? When the noise happens, have your hand on the gear stick to feel for any movement. Should be noticeable if it is the problem.

Jack it up and check the middle drive shaft cross member, gear box mounts & also your control arm bushes.

Probably best to replace the CV shaft first and then continue the search if the noise is still present.

#6 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Gearbox mount? When the noise happens, have your hand on the gear stick to feel for any movement. Should be noticeable if it is the problem.

Jack it up and check the middle drive shaft cross member, gear box mounts & also your control arm bushes.

Probably best to replace the CV shaft first and then continue the search if the noise is still present.

Yeah I'll be doing them when I get back from Melbourne early Jan. I was thinking it may be gearbox mounts as there's a slight shudder in the gearstick when it happens. then again if its the tailshaft bearing, could it not shudder also? I jacked up the car this weekend to check the CV's, I was pretty much sure they were shagged before checking them out and they are.

However there's not a single little drop of oil anywhere to be found. car's as dry and a pommys towel underneath...

Posted Image

#7 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Could possibly be the tail shaft but one would think it would happen while turning either direction if it was. If it was anything to do with the tail shaft I would be leaning towards the cross member/mid mount.

Do you have an control arm ALK installed?

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

It could very well be that the secondary turbo has spun so hard and fast, that it has created a black hole portal, were people from another time and dimension, are transported back into our time and they're knocking at your car, reminding you that TT's had their place decades ago, and that it's time to embrace single turbodom.

In all seriousness.

CVs.

Sydney Drive Shaft
12 Garling Rd
KINGS PARK, NSW, 2148

Cheap, fast and good.

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

It could very well be that the secondary turbo has spun so hard and fast, that it has created a black hole portal, were people from another time and dimension, are transported back into our time and they're knocking at your car

This actually happened to me last week.....

#10 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

When you ring Sydney Drive Shaft, Don't be alarmed when the asian man on the other end of the phone yells: SYDNEYDRIVESHAFT!!!?

That's his way of saying hello...lol.

Sounds like CV's, Make sure everything is tight and go from there. Start simple before replacing things ;)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#11 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

When you ring Sydney Drive Shaft, Don't be alarmed when the asian man on the other end of the phone yells: SYDNEYDRIVESHAFT!!!? That's his way of saying hello..

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa lmfao

#12 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Haha it's so true!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#13 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I rocked up there once with a shaft that needed a new boot.

nekminnit, an asian lady whips off the old boot, packs the joint with fresh grease, and slips on a new boot in less than three minutes, and charges me $25.

Laughing!

#14 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

When you ring Sydney Drive Shaft, Don't be alarmed when the asian man on the other end of the phone yells: SYDNEYDRIVESHAFT!!!?

That's his way of saying hello...lol.

Sounds like CV's, Make sure everything is tight and go from there. Start simple before replacing things ;)

haha! there was a place like tis in melbourne, you were almost afraid to call up in case you were bothering them ..

Last weekend jacked up the car and checked, everything seems nice and tight. pretty clean too. I did see that the pass. side boot was completely broken, so that shaft will e replaced when I get back from Melbourne. As a preventative thing I'll replace both front shafts.

Thanks for the input guys. BTW, excuse the noobish Q, i'm coming form a BMW where everything is in Deutsche. "ALK??"

Posted Image

#15 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Anti lift kit, mate :)

Basically replaces the rear lower control arm bush