#1 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

From http://www.drive.com...D...=58774&vf=1

Just months after Subaru pulled turbocharged versions of its Forester soft-roader out of showrooms to fix a serious flaw, the Japanese car maker has found another problem with the engine.

However, unlike the previous problem, which only affected the Forester, the company is recalling more than 3000 late-model Forester XTs, Liberty GTs and Impreza WRXs to fix a potential problem with the cars' turbochargers. The only turbocharged Subaru not affected by the recall is the STi-tuned version of the WRX hatch.

According to Subaru, the turbocharger oil pipe, which helps cool and lubricate the turbocharger, may have been misaligned when it was put together on the assembly line. If the pipe is misaligned, "vibration experienced during normal driving could result in a crack developing in the pipe over time, causing an engine oil leak," Subaru says. The oil leak could create a fire in the engine bay, Subaru says.

The international version of the recall warns Subaru owners not to park their vehicles in "a garage, car port or other structure" to minimise the risk of a fire. Cars overseas have been fitted with an extra support bracket to minimise vibration and the oil feed pipe replaced where needed.

A spokesman for Subaru Australia said the company was aware of the problem.

The all-new Forester XT was pulled from showrooms earlier this year just weeks after its Australian launch when some owners noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. The problem was later identified as "abnormal wear" on the con-rod big-end bearings.

That recall affected more than 1200 cars including the Forester XT, Impreza WRX and WRX STi, and the Liberty GT.

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I assume owners of affected models are getting a letter or a phone call from Subaru? I'll have to let my dad know, he has an '08 GT-b.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

just to clear things up a bit here as this has had the usual media, 'rub it till its hard' touch, yes there is a recall affecting all models, there could potentially be an oil leak, fire, i doubt it.... i personally have fitted over 50 of the brackets and not yet seen one pipe in need of replacement, they have all been 100% fine. the recall has been ging since late November, so if you haven't received a letter, your most likely fine, unless you have bought your car 2nd hand and not notified Subaru of the change.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Ben!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users