7 replies to this topic

#1 justrad

justrad

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

gday, i did managed to score some WRX wheels in ebay few weeks ago. Car is writeoff. the cost is not much...really cheap. Wheels are really bad, and lots of gutter rash, bends and buckes. It looks sh*t...im not sure if i could fix them up myself...DIY. all wheels are has been wash and clean, the only dissapointing is that lots of gutter rash. Just want to ask, if someone did managed to fix their rims/ wheels DIY. i did some research on what and how to repair the wheels...but most of them, advice that need to go to a wheel repairer/ wheel fixer. But as far as i know, they will charge u heaps a fortune. i Might do it as a last resort, but for the meantime ill stick with DIY.
Any idea???how to fix. or need some advice guys.
Thanks,
rad

#2 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Gutter rash is fairly easy to get rid off. Just get a grinder with a 80 grit sand paper piece onto it, disappears in no time but the wheels will odviously need to be repainted.

If they are buckled badly I would suggest using them to hold up a garden hose.. It will cost too much to fix them even if they can be fixed.

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

I dunno how safe it was, but i once used car body filler on rims that had major gutter rash, filled up the rash and sanded a new lip into the rims, come up okay i guess.

As for the buckle you'd probably want access to a lathe big enough to fit the rim in.

I guess the $60 or so a buckle the shops charge isnt that bad!

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Depends on how cheap the wheels where and then the cost to fix them depending on how many are buckled. Personally I wouldn't bother fixing them because you can pick up wrx wheels for a fair price if you look around.

Also gutter rash can be fixed.

#5 justrad

justrad

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Awdsome...thanks guys. Ill have go with it.

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I might have to get the gutter rash on my rims removed... I'll see how much the wheel fixers charge. Anyone know of any that they'd recommend?

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#7 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Dont be a tight arse when it comes to repairing buckled rims. Do it properly or stay off the road. I think i paid 250 to get a set of 4 rims fixed. That was building the lip back up with the welder, then machining it back. They polished the lip too to save them needing to be resprayed. That was $50 per rim for that. The other $50 was to weld up a crack then scan it to make sure it was fixed.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#8 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing. I want to get them done properly and take care of them when driving ha ha. I just have to find a place in Sydney that does it. Might give Google a go.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users