• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MY03B4

MY03B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

My little sister's MY04 outback has finally blown its original clutch. It's got 140k's on the clock. She is freaking out about how much it's going to cost because she is saving to go to Europe in a few months. The clutch is stuck to the floor, no fluids leaking. So my question is what is a reasonable price range for a replacement including installation. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Not cheap from a dealer... I'd expect to part with at least $700+++

To help make it cheaper, source an aftermarket clutch kit and flywheel. I'd also suggest that it's a good time to convert from the oem dual mass flywheel to a single.

Google around for replacement parts, search eBay etc....

Once you've got the kit, which will be cheaper than dealer parts, you've only got labour costs to worry about.

#3 MY03B4

MY03B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the advice mate I'll start looking.

#4 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Do not source a after market clutch kit as that's a gamble. Your car may or may not have a single or dual match flywheel. I've been caught out with this before doing clutches on Subarus, It really sucks.

Ring Subaru and give them your VIN number, They will send you a single mass flywheel conversion kit and clutch to match your car. It may cost a little bit more but it's good stuff with warranty.

Labour should be around 500. Get your gearbox oil changed while the box is out too. Any more then that, Ring other places.

Taking off the dual mass flywheel sucks because they use female torx bolts, They always strip out and you have to drill them out. The $500 labour is worth every cent.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#5 MY03B4

MY03B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Cheers for the second opinion. She sent me the vin so I'll call Subaru in the morning and see what they say. I had a quick look on ebay and they range from $80 to $550 for a hd dual kit. I know you get what you pay for. It''ll be interesting to see what the screwbaru stealership is asking (i've been raped befor by them). I might try to source a genuine kit elsewhere when I know what to get. What are the advantages of a single over double?

#6 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Buy an exedy clutch kit about $650-$800 depends on what type and a good mechanic shouldn't charge you more then $450 max....Subaru clutch that you will buy genuine will be in a plain box exedy or something similar....
Posted Image

#7 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

MY04 = Gen IV = DMF.
You need a Torx Plus bit, "TP50" to do the flywheel bolts - a normal Torx bit is what strips them.

But as someone above said, Subaru have a DMF replacement kit, not cheap, but is complete.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

If the pedal is stuck to the floor, could it just be a hydralic issue and not the clutch itself?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#9 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Probably.
I just assumed he'd checked the easy stuff like the slave and hose.

#10 MY03B4

MY03B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

I haven't seen the car yet. All my sis told me was that the peddle was to the floor and it stunk like burnt clutch. I don't know a lot about cars. How do you check the slave and hose?? Cheers

#11 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Try to bleed it.

#12 MY03B4

MY03B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ok so it was blown. Ended up converting to single, cost her around $1700 as it blew the trust bearing.

But now she is getting thrown a crank angle sensor code. I did a search but I can't find the location. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I was thinking cleaning the sensor to see if that fixes it. Should I bother or is it best just to get a new one? Thanks in advance

#13 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Didn't someone post something yesterday about crank angle sensor code was due to a dying alternator putting out 10-12volts. It might be a long shot but quick and easy to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users