#1 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

Dylan's Subaru Liberty 1998 RX Bilstein Edition

Well.. I bought this car after seeing Luke's (XoN's) car. Exactly the same, but blue.

I was on the hunt for my first car, so I spent some time finding the right car for me. Originally, I was considering getting an old Corolla Seca one of the 1.6 models - would have worked out an anooseload cheaper in the long run, but such a crappy car.

After around 3 months of looking around for a manual Bilstein edition, Luke informed me that one of the guys that works for his company in Melbourne was considering selling. This was fantastic news! I got some pictures sent through after getting in touch with the seller, and this is what I saw:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car had around 114,000K's on the clock, only a few minor car park trolley dints and that was it. Everything worked, paint was in excellent condition and so I arranged for an RACV comprehensive inspection of the vehicle before I commited. After having the car checked by the RACV (for around $300) the report came back that everything was OK - a couple of issues with 2 tyres but nothing major.. apparently.

So... After that I talked with my bank, got finance and purchased the car for $16,500. I then, had to arrange to get the car back to my home in Sydney, from Malvern in Victoria. I had only gotten my P's about one month before this, so I did consider flying to Melbourne and driving the car back - however I decided against doing this and arranged for the car to be shipped up here on a truck with PATRICKS. This ended up costing around $650 for memory, which wasn't too bad.

Once the car arrived, it had to go through blue slip and I got my mechanic to check over it. What I found out as a result of this I was less than pleased about. She Needed 3 new tyres - sidewall's were stuffed, and the head gasket had gone - great! Another $3,000 later - the car was good to go. I got it registered, insured and things were all good! I loved my car, I did about 30,000K's on it in 6 months.

Posted Image

A POD filter, and a front strut brace were amongst the first modifications I did to my car

Posted Image

I also purchased a sticker to represent the car group I was in (and proud of, at the time).

Posted Image

I took great enjoyment out of cleaning my car, and helping her look her best.

Posted Image

A HID kit was also installed to my car, to improve lighting.

All was going well, the engine was losing a bit of oil (would usually drain out 1.5L less than what I put in there every 6,000K's) but the car was going fine. In hindsight, I drove the car fairly hard and was a little bit silly (Red P plater, huh) and I had a couple of hairy moments. I also in the time I had it bought and fitted a 22mm rear sway bar from Whiteline.

Around April 2007 I took my car for a drive just before I was due to do an oil change on it the next day. As it turns out, that drive would be the death of the 2.5L DOHC engine, which died at just over 142,000K's.

From diagnostics given to me by Subaru and a local workshop, I had spun a big end bearing. According to Soop, who eventually received the engine (Via Alexxx in Wollongong who bought it first) - there was far more damage to it than first thought. I believe a head gasket had gone again, and there was more damage (I'll leave it up to Soop to comment).

Unfortunately for me, this left me in a bad situation as I really could not afford to rebuild the engine, nor was I in a situation to buy a halfcut. I had to make a choice.

I decided, that I would proceed with diong a turbo conversion - and that I would undertake this job myself with the help of a few clued in friends and a Haynes workshop manual.

On the first of May, 2007 I started working on my car and started taking everything apart to prepare it for the new engine. I knew this was going to be a big job, a huge job - and something I had never done before. I was excited, and worried.

Posted Image

Work starts.

Posted Image

Bits are slowly coming out...

Posted Image

Bye bye bonnet.

Posted Image

More bits gone, and the engine hoist was in there way too early - we weren't ready to take it out yet!

Posted Image

One of my good mates helped me rain, hail or shine (or night) throughout this, and we finally got the old engine out (hoisted out the top with the box joined) at night.

Posted Image

I love fluro globes...

Posted Image

The engine, and gearbox finally out, and split.

Posted Image

The empty engine bay... and parts storage bin.

Posted Image

It looks so empty. As you can see, my garage is completely friendly to mother nature.

Fortunately for me, one of my friends who had converted his Gen2 RX with a 1996 JDM WRX halfcut, had his car written off (hard luck, eh). I purchased ALL the running gear from him, for $3900. This included 3" TBE (Xforce Tbear edition w/ 4 1/2" cannon!), rear diff, gearbox, engine, ECU, and loom (that was done by AL @ AMAuto).

Posted Image
The donor Liberty.

Posted Image
The WRX engine and 4.11 gearbox being lifted out.

Posted Image
The new wiring loom.

Posted Image
Pulling wiring from donor car.

Posted Image
In with the new!

Posted Image
Luke (XoN) getting down and dirty.

Posted Image
Interior is mostly back together!

Posted Image
The WRX engine being taken to my car.

Posted Image
Just tap it in... Tap tap taparoo...

Posted Image
WRX Engine in.

Posted Image
All swoit.. mate.

So... the conversion started 1st May 2007, and was finished just before Christmas 2007. A long time yes, a lot of it was spent waiting for the ground to dry, money to be saved and working things out.

As it turns out, my mechanic ended up finishing it for me (putting rear diff in, bolting a few things in and troubleshooting the car when it didn't start) as I got sick of it being on my lawn, as the rain would not eff off.

Turns out the ECU I had was cracked in the accident the donor car had, so I sourced a replacement through BMI in QLD.

So the car was registered in Feb. 2008 and things are all sweet. The car has no error system (no check engine light - no codes), I don't know if thats due to it not being wired up or something, but I guess I will look in to it in future.

Since then, I have removed the POD filter and returned back to an airbox (mix of V2 STI top of the airbox, and Gen2 NA bottom) and a panel filter. This has reduced the induction noise and now means the factory plumbback is quiet (as opposed to sounding like it was atmo before with the POD).

I also (At Marv's suggestion) did the Bosch HEC716 coil coversion (Thanks RSLC), and fixed the missing issue I was having.

I have made a few cosmetic modifications to the car, which include a set of projectors and new HID lights, a Legacy garnish and RS badge and I have some monsoon's waiting to be fitted.

I am waiting to do a FMIC for the car soon, as the scoop on it is a WRX scoop cut in to a Liberty bonnet (that looks ugly as hell). I have the core, just have to source the piping - I am considering giving this a crack myself.

I would also like to move my water bottle and battery to the boot, to give myself some more room in the engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The car as it is today.

This post really sums it up nicely, and makes it all seem that no time has passed at all. I really enjoyed doing the conversion on my car, and it has taught me many things. I would do it again, and I think that with the right tools and area, such a project can be done by a few boys in no time at all. If anyone is considering doing this, I am more than happy to lend a hand, a workshop manual or stories.

I will update this post as I do further things to the car, but ultimately I am looking to get the car looking as stealth as possible, and sounding fairly quiet.

I am also now, considering saving up for a brand new EJ257 and doing a build with that, V3 heads and other goodies (Although a PPG 1st - 4th box will be required I think) however this is still a few years off, if at all.

Hope you enjoy,

Dylan.

-----

09 Dec. 2008:

Well... Just a little update.

Came home to this:

Posted Image

Then I attacked it...

Posted Image

Then I spotted it...

Posted Image

And then...

Posted Image

Pair of V5 / V6 STi seats + GC8 STi front strut brace, and a Juran (fully jdm spec., y0) rear strut brace.

Will post pics once fitted :)

Note: Seats are immaculate, there is just a leaf on there courtesy of Aaron @ Import Monster (and also a pen - score!) ;)

-----

14 Dec. 2008:

Well... Rain pissed off so I fitted the seats today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pardon the stained carpets, sir. Taken the original seats out, and vacuumed the carpet along with taking the floor mats out for a nice steam clean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Passenger seat in.

Posted Image

Both seats in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

inside view (Excuse the bits missing, and dirty windshield).

Posted Image

GT Bonnet Fitted, JDM Fogs and Legacy front grille fitted (taken from a phone camera, SLR pics to come).

-----

25 Mar. 2009:

GoFastBits short shifter fitted to the car tonight. Bleed valve (Turbo XS) is ready to be fitted, however I need to chase down possible leaks (thinking cracked up-pipe) first, before increasing boost as I am having some minor performance related issues. Clutch needs replacing, timing belt needs to be done. Considering doing a 2.2L or a 2.5L build up and using V3 STi heads. More on this to come, but I may not concentrate on the V2 WRX engine that is currently running in it -- too restrictive for big numbers.

-----

26 Apr. 2009:

Few new pics below.

Posted Image

Hanging out with Will's B4.

Posted Image

Nice front-bum.

4 Oct. 2009:

Not much has changed, few bits and pieces but new clutch and flywheel have been fitted. Will add more pics soon but for now this is just the flywheel.

Posted Image
It is a Fidanza Aluminium 4.7KG lightened flywheel.

#2 boost

boost

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:cars with boost, cars that need no boost, etc..

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Dylan's Subaru Liberty 1998 RX Bilstein Edition

All was going well, the engine was losing a bit of oil (would usually drain out 1.5L less than what I put in there every 6,000K's) but the car was going fine.

Aha! Check your oil when you put petrol in...

Nice little write up.. you ex-emo trisexual..
AWD + BOOST = SEXY TIME

#3 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

haha well done man, good effort. cept you LIE thats not how the car is today!!
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

Aha! Check your oil when you put petrol in...

Nice little write up.. you ex-emo trisexual..

Haha, thanks Stav mate. When you coming to Syd for one of the meets to say hello :) I miss your kiwi ass... my sheep shagging brother haha.

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Nice one bruvva!!! More pics of the new engine bay and make sure you ad more to the write up when you do your front mount..

#6 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

deleted my post much??

2mmwi1w.jpg

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Nice one bruvva!!! More pics of the new engine bay and make sure you ad more to the write up when you do your front mount..

Thanks mate, I will do.

It's going to be ... interesting trying to do the FMIC but yeah I will do.

I've also got some SS brake lines to fit.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

Good work on the car Dylan.

Just Married

#9 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks mate, I will do.

It's going to be ... interesting trying to do the FMIC but yeah I will do.

I've also got some SS brake lines to fit.

Yeah, especially if you're going to give it a bash yourself. Props to you for getting in there and doing the work yourself.

Those lines should make your pedal feel nice and crisp!

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

Very nice car and great work on the conversion. But f**k doing all that on my front lawn! :D

OEM+

#11 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

But f**k doing all that on my front lawn! :D

my sentiments exactly... :P

2mmwi1w.jpg

#12 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

oi Dylan.. Why dont you post some CURRENT pics??? with the silver WRX Scoop Uleh! LOL!! Mwa princess

#13 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

Hey Dylan, I think you may have hit the longest post so far !

:-)

Maybe we can do front mounts together as we both have Lib/Leg and single turbo :-)

2 x GC8 front mount kits please sir....

That would be $399 each thanks
http://justjap.com/s...u...=339&page=1

Regards
Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#14 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hey Dylan, I think you may have hit the longest post so far !

:-)

Maybe we can do front mounts together as we both have Lib/Leg and single turbo :-)

2 x GC8 front mount kits please sir....

That would be $399 each thanks
http://justjap.com/s...u...=339&page=1

Regards
Paul

Hah! Thanks mate! I took some time out of my stressful monday morning at work to construct that lovely post. I've actually been meaning to do it for sometime, however decided to pull the finger out and post up about it today.

Glad I have been able to share some of my experiences with everyone on here, and I am bloody proud of it.

Mate, the FMIC thing sounds like a good idea - I've already got the core itself - just need piping. I'll chat to you more about it soon :)

#15 Not Marv

Not Marv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Living an organic lifestyle free of vices like alcohol.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

JustJap kits never fit and need a fair bit of modification to work. And that fact is true 100% of the time. Spend $50 on getting a MY94-96 WRX air con set-up and run the FMIC piping under the headlights like Al does. Fagbranch vaginal slurry.

#16 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

JustJap kits never fit and need a fair bit of modification to work. And that fact is true 100% of the time.

Spend $50 on getting a MY94-96 WRX air con set-up and run the FMIC piping under the headlights like Al does.

Fagbranch vaginal slurry.

Perhaps you need to provide more information about this, yes ?

Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

Couple new video's - watch in High Quality for better sound.

- Cold start + idle
- Warm idle + rev

#18 Kosti

Kosti

George Clooney's evil twin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

Nice story, brought tears to my eyes.. This one time at band camp, I saw this B4 just drift past u up a hill not to long ago :D
I prefer TWINS!

Now anyone up for a friendly game ?

Posted Image

#19 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

First post updated.

#20 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

When are we going to get pictures of the car? :)
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users