←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

01 outback engine swap

Pat-01obk's Photo Pat-01obk 23 Feb 2013

Hi there everyone
I'm a new member to this forum and came here as a mate suggested I maybe ask for a bit of advice before I start a build on my 01 obk.
I am hoping to eventually be running a 2.6 stroked ej25 with an sti 6 speed gearbox,hopefully turbo it eventually aswell.
I was just wondering if there would be anyone that could give me a bit of a heads up on problems that I might not have thought of.

I understand that wiring will probably give me a bit of a hassle and maybe changing it to a manual

Everything in it is stock standard at the moment except for tein coilovers I just put in the other week

Morgan's Photo Morgan 23 Feb 2013

Welcome to Subyclub. There are plenty of threads about conversions on here. Might be worth a read through to see the issues others have run into.

Check out Show Us Your Tints and Vicelore. They have conversions on gen 3's

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 23 Feb 2013

Welcome, my only word of advise is dont stuff around with stroking a n/a out, dont waste your time with it, cause when you wanna turbo it, all the cash gone into the stroker of an n/a block will be pointless cause your pistons will need to be changed down the track...

if you want the easiest way to put in a 2.5 turbo, my personal opinion is get an sg forester front cut or rear end write off... get the wiring loom modded to suit the outback, when dropping the engine in put on some sti heads, and you will be smiling harder than the joker

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 23 Feb 2013

Hey and welcome

Welcome to Subyclub. There are plenty of threads about conversions on here. Might be worth a read through to see the issues others have run into.

Check out Show Us Your Tints and Vicelore. They have conversions on gen 3's

This, also check out Sam's thread on Gen3 converted outback.

Sam's Photo Sam 23 Feb 2013

Dont let anyone in Coffs Harbour do the conversion...
I thought that I would save a lot of money by doing it locally, but just ran into too many issues from a guy who thought he was a mechanic but didnt actually know what he was doing.
I will never take another car to this guy again as he ripped me the Posted Image off and is a joke.

Take it to either Ben at Ichiban Imports(Neo Garage) or Michael South Racing which are both in Sydney, or do the drive up to the Sunny Coast and speak with Al and Myles at AM Auto. (that way they can splice the loom up for you at the same time, which will save in transport costs for the loom).

If I were to start from scratch I would definitely spend the extra cash on a forged STI motor with 6 speed gearbox...

I dont think I have ever seen the 2.6 stroker engine, but If I have, I have just zoomed straight past it and not taken any notice... Someone else on here can probably let you know their thoughts though!

It is expensive, but it would be cool to see someone else do the conversion as well.
These cars are awesome, as you probably have already found out, but people will try to tell you not to do it as it causes too many hassles. I think if the right people do the conversion, you are not going to run into as many problems. I found that out the hard way.
The power my 2.5 STI engine makes is pretty good. Its tuned to around the 160kw mark. But I am chasing the 200 club now!

Good luck with it, and if you have any questions at all you know where to find me, if I cant answer then someone on here will definitely be able to help out.

Sam

Heres the build thread.

http://www.subyclub....__fromsearch__1

More of a search of my profile will give you more info, but as Scotty said, I wouldnt be wasting my time with a stroker kit... Buy a front cut.

Sorry to hyjack thread for one moment and then if needed I will take elsewhere, but would a stroker be decent on a turbo engine?

I was wondering the same thing!

I was wondering the same thing!

I like where this may go!

aekOne's Photo aekOne 23 Feb 2013

of course it would.

Buy your internals from one of our vendors here

http://www.carmodsau...-kit-bri-bc0628

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 23 Feb 2013

Subyclubs first suby stroker.

of course it would.

what about a TT? :D

Subyclubs first suby stroker.

nah

what about a TT? :D

B4's are already fast enough. Hyper speed not doing it for you any more? ;)

B4's are already fast enough. Hyper speed not doing it for you any more? ;)

Hahaha nah man, need moar powa!!!

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 23 Feb 2013

You should look at at Version 7/8 STI half cut, i don't think MSR would be that interesting in doing the conversion. He mainly does tuning and engine builds and some servicing.

IMO one of the only threads on here that won't turn you off doing a conversion is Matt's thread. No offence to anyone else.

http://www.subyclub....e-story-so-far/

Are you planning on doing this yourself? or getting it done "professionally"?

i'm offened

What is an offened?

sorry i was so angry and outraged i didn't check my spelling

Ha.

Yes, also check out Sam's, Matt's, Aek's and Ty's threads. There'd be plenty more too.

You've come to the right place.

sorry i was so angry and outraged i didn't check my spelling

wheres my dinner?