• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Pat-01obk

Pat-01obk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Far out guys thanks for all the feedback!
I'm actually a little confused now with the whole stroker kit thing haha, here is a link to the place that I am looking to buy the engine off, and from the way they talk about it it seems they make it pretty bulletproof. Would it be Harder to get good results out of a stroked turbo compared to a normal turbo'd engine?

And to scuba-roo , I am hoping to do most of the mechanical side of the swap myself, although the wiring loom, and anything I might need to change or cut on the interior to allow for the manual gearstick I might take to a workshop as I don't like stuffing around with he electrical side of things and I want the interior to stay looking schmick haha

#22 Pat-01obk

Pat-01obk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au

#23 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

I'm slightly lost (nothing new) - are you saying you want to stroke out the N/A, and then later on down the track convert it to a turbo engine?

Cheers,
Nik

#24 Face

Face

Do skids, just not in your pants...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

From experience, ben at ichiban usually gets a nice halfcut. :) got my gen 3 converted and after ironing out a few kinks it runs like a dream.

#25 Pat-01obk

Pat-01obk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

im looking to buy a 2.6 cosworth engine (its what they call it on that alldrivesubaroo website) which is just the ej25 stroked out obviously and they replace all the internals with much stronger components apparently.
just dont know if its worth it, wondering the potential for extra power compared to the problems i might get while trying to turbo it.

sorry if im sounding a bit all over the place haha

#26 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I reckon you'll probably regret it if you start with just that motor. Best bet, like others have already mentioned, is to start with a halfcut and a conversion. This way you will have everything else that is needed for your intended goal, ie. gearbox, diff, brakes, loom, turbo ecu, etc. Then when ready for more power upgrade again to that motor.

Best to read through those other mentioned build threads to gauge an idea for everything else that is required to convert your car.

#27 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Uneducated assumption, but that looks like a turbo motor to begin with.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Power?
Bragging Rights?
Or just a fast car to put a smile on your face?

If you are looking at that engine, id say you have a large budget?

Posted Image

#28 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

From what i can tell its a ej257 block, they get the extra little bit of stroke by using the 81mm crank as opposed to the 79mm one.

But dont take my word for gospel.

Personally i think you should find a decent version 7/8 half cut and get that going the ej207, brembo's r180 and 6speed box will keep you gen3 happy days for a while.

Then you've got the option of using your stock ej25 block and sleeving it and forged internals, and mating that to the STI heads.

Or upgrading the turbo intercooler injectors etc with the 2L. Which should handle 250kw@w for a long time.

I think its been mentioned before but A&M auto's do the wiring. Or whole conversion if you want. You'd just send your wiring loom and the loom from the halfcut to them, and they'll send you one back ready to plug and play.

Best of luck :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#29 Pat-01obk

Pat-01obk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Haha Adam I'm kinda aiming for all three of those haha
But by the sounds of things I am more leaning towards the halfcut option, i guess it will make it far easier in the long run and save me buying all that extra stuff I will need to make it reliable.
Can anyone recommend a good reliable site for finding decent halfcuts?
Thanks heaps for all your help guys

#30 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ichiban
Rising sun

[03.SUBY]

#31 Pat-01obk

Pat-01obk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Sam :)

#32 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

NOT BMI..

#33 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yes, agree with everyone here. Get the v7/8 from japan as either a cut or an engine package. For an outback I would go for a cut, as you will then get the turbo rated box, shafts, lower arms etc. (Which will be needed at some stage if you are chasing big power)
Cosworth motor should be able to handle anything you throw at it, but at about 10 - 12k for just the motor, its going to be an damn expensive conversion!

Big approval from me re AM Auto. Those boys did my conversion, no problems, and the tuner/mechanic said they did a great job, best he has seen in a long time regarding the loom work.

Remember you can always throw a new worked 2.5/2.6L motor into it once you have all the turbo and underlying stuff sorted and running well. Matter of bolt new motor in and re-tune.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#34 jakefake

jakefake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

After all the preparation and planning to do a motor conversion with my mates, I later decided to bite the bullet and let a well known mechanic do the work for me!
Alan and Miles up at AMAuto at Noosaville, QLD did the work and I've never been so impressed in my life!!

Full engine/driveline/gbox/dash everything was changed all in under a week. I drove in Monday and drove out Friday arvo.
This was only last week and the total for the conversion only came to $2500.

my advice and as many others would agree, PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT AND SIT ON YOUR ASS AND ENJOY THE STRESS LESS JOB.
for $2500 you can't really go wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users