• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scottybmx093

scottybmx093

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hello, i just purchased a 1997 liberty wagon GX model (Gen 2) and after driving the car around for a week or so, i've noticed that the car has a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I can't pin point the exact spot of the sound so tomorrow ill be uploading/linking a video of my car when idleing and revving.

So basically, this ticking noise increases when revving. The best way to describe the sound is that someone has stuck something between a fan or the spokes of a bike wheel and is making a knocking noise. I had a similar sound in my BMW 318is when i owned one and it turned out the extractors were cracked so i'm taking it in tomorrow to throw the car up on a hoist to observe the sound some more and try to pin-point the sound. i've done a bit of research online and have found a mix of answers and never anyone saying "this fixed it" so i've resorted to starting my own post about it.

The previous owner had the car looked over when he owned it and got a oil/filter change, plugs, radiator hose, top end clean and then they checked the timing and the belts but said they are all fine. That mechanic apparently commented that the car could do with a smaller air intake as the car has cold air piping and a pod filter on it. (im going to buy a new pod filter to clean that part up as well)

I've owned 2 gen 1 liberty wagons before and have done a engine rebuild to both but being a newer model and being shorter on cash this time around, i was wondering if ANYONE would be able to help me out. Feel free to ask some questions about it so i can answer yes or no to try and pin point down to the exact spot of the issue, or better yet, the exact cause of the knocking/ticking noise.

thanks, scott.

HERE ARE SOME VIDEOS OF MY ENGINE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Y5A5HhbU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiyfw2mejU

Just after writing all of that ^ my car has a terrible start, takes 2-3 times to turn over. Previous owner said that he had that fixed ages ago but is happening again now i guess? i run 10-40 oil with magnatec so im not running cheap stuff and ive thrown in nulon lifter cleaner but that did nothing at all.

help? haha

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

sounds like a sticking tappet/lifter. pretty common. my mums liberty was doing the same and some fresh oil and oil filter (mobile delvac) fixed it. I remember my dad bleeding them out, and ended up putting new ones in mums other old liberty.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mine did it, an oil change didnt fix it, new lifters didnt fix it.

Guess it depends on the cause.

Posted Image

#4 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Mine did it, an oil change didnt fix it, new lifters didnt fix it.

Guess it depends on the cause.

true, did you ever get it fixed?

#5 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yep, I bought a new car :P

I just turned the music up and got a 2.5" catback exhaust to block it out :P

Posted Image

#6 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like a noisy EJ with 260,000 on it :P

Try some 15-40 oil and report back.

It's a subaru thing, Caused my lack of oil changes. And with those km's, It's pretty quiet.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#7 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

mine does this sound on start up but then it goes

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#8 scottybmx093

scottybmx093

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

ive just done a oil change, including new oil filter and a full engine flush and that didn't make any difference. the car has been going through coolant fairly fast to the point ive had to pull over a few times to top it up before it fully over heats. how much would a new tappet/lifter be and where from? thanks

#9 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

What colour was the oil you drained out? Can you see where the coolant is leaking externally? If not, it's probably leaking internally.

I was going to suggest that the gaskets on your headers need replacing, or your headers are cracked until I read about your coolant loss.

Sounds like your head is gone, potentially with coolant thinning out the oil.

Get a pressure test/busted heads test done asap.

I really hope it's not terminal.

#10 scottybmx093

scottybmx093

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

im just going to get a new engine installed. found someone to do the labor for $700, i've found a engine with 150km for $550, now just have to find somewhere for the person to do the work over a week or 2 on the central coast and i can just leave there car there till its done

#11 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Engine swap should take a day if tour going slow If you can turn a spanner and read then you could do it yourself with a service manual ;)

#12 scottybmx093

scottybmx093

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

no engine crane though :|

#13 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members