Photo

Nik's Day of Hops, Waterfalls and Emu's!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hi crew,

Considering you blokes are putting in the effort to upload/share the recent spate of 'just because' drives that seems to have descended over the group - I figure I may as well join in. You don't need to read it, it's probably more for my benefit than anything.

:)

I headed off from my place at around six this morning, just had to wait until the light was safe enough to drive. Intent of the mission was to pick up some fresh grown hops from a friend of a friend in Northcliffe; This is the route I had chosen, which just happens to wander through some of the prettiest scenery I think in Australia.

Posted Image

200'ish K's each way.

Not too long into the trip, my old friends the Emu's popped up...

Posted Image

!

Being as I wasn't completely sure of just how 'off the grid' this bloke's house was, I took the XT instead of my car - turned out to be a wise decision. Nearing his place the road went from sealed, to unsealed, to dodgy, to sand. You can see here where it just instantly turns to white sand;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Their house was very cool, they've essentially built the entire thing from the ground up. No power, but running water, and kept very nicely. I didn't take any photos of their house though, first time I'd ever met them and all that - thought it might be a bit odd! But what I came for was right out the front as I drove in. Hops! This area used to be quite well known for hop farms/gardens but all of them as far as we can tell have been torn down, most turned into apple orchards. As Brett will tell you, fresh hops are a very cool thing, very expensive and obviously you have to buy them in from elsewhere, so the opportunity to go and pick some to make some beer was one I was not giving up.

These are the puppies; this photo is the Perle variety;

Posted Image

Some Hallertau;

Posted Image

And, some Cascade;

Posted Image

It was all a lot of fun, though one thing nobody tells you is that they are ridiculously itchy when you get covered in them. My arms are still red raw and old mate wasn't fairing any better than me.

Posted Image

Only took about an hour or so, and after a brief chat, I was back on the road. With four garbage bags full of fresh picked sedatives sending their goodness into the cabin of the XT. I can only imagine how long I would have been on the side of the road if I had have been pulled over by the plod - driving back from the south with four garbage bags of what literally just smells like dope!

Feeling quite chuffed, I decided I'd meander home and take some snaps. It truly is quiet this far out. You're not going to see another person, especially not on a Sundee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Always being cautious of the speed limit...

Posted Image

It is very dry still;

Posted Image

Considering I'd literally not seen one other person/car since leaving the hop garden - I thought I might check out some of the sights that I used to go to with the family when I were a wee lad. The main thing that prompted me was that one of my favourite spots as a youngster is names 'Cascades' - I figure, if you've just been picking Cascade hops, and you've got a boot load of them, you may as well round it out and go and check out the Cascades in the National Park.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The paths/bridges at the beginning of the hike trail are a LOT better than I remembered.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I had suspected, the Cascades weren't exactly a white water torrent...

Posted Image

This is what they look like at the height of winter;

Posted Image

The trail ends here and you can journey onward on the 'loop' or go for a bit of an unbeaten path, I was enjoying walking by the water so I just kept following the river;

Posted Image

Cool little bit of nature making do;

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I kept going I came to an old railway bridge.

Posted Image

The sign said it was no longer in use, so naturally I climbed out the middle to take some snaps.

Posted Image

It was at this precise moment I felt as though it was getting windy. It wasn't though, not even a rustle of a leaf. Then I literally started to feel the bridge move, and then I heard an almighty horn blow - bloody train coming! I won't make this out to be too dramatic, as it was probably going just a few cogs faster than walking pace, but it was a bit of a heart starter considering I was in the middle of the bridge...

Posted Image

Turned out to be a tourist attraction. Pretty cool timing though, also, I think they should change the sign that says it's no longer in use!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kept going, found another old bridge, this one was beasty - no hand rails or guards either...

Posted Image

Stood on top of it and heard the little train coming again;

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd started to get pretty far off the track, and away from the car, so called it a day and headed home. It was awesome. So cheers to you blokes for making me think to do a couple of extra things while I was out and about. I'm pretty keen to head back after we've had some decent rain and get some better photos, not so dry.

Thought this might give you a taste of MDSC scenery...

Cheers,
Nik

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Awesome! Sounds like an epic trip, mate.

I particularly like the emu shot. We get a few roo's out here but emu's are non-existant!

Needs more GoPro footage ;)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

Cheers Morgs. Not going to lie, I did think about trying out the 'HD video record' on the camera. But it would probably take me six weeks to upload anything.

:)

Cheers,
Nik

#4 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Good stuff Nik.

MDSC train ride!!??

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#5 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hi,

Could be on the cards. I forgot how awesome the roads are down there. I was thinking about it, but we'll probably have the same car/person ratio issue.

We'll see.

Cheers,
Nik

#6 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Holy shit.

You know how to upload pics!!!!

Nice one dude :)

Posted Image

#7 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Awesome stuff Nik!

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#8 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Nice Nik! MDSC hype!!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nice thread, looks like a nice day out, yeah the Emus are the highlight I reckon!!! Don't get those anywhere close to here!

#10 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Nice thread, looks like a nice day out, yeah the Emus are the highlight I reckon!!! Don't get those anywhere close to here!

Thredbo :P

Posted Image

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thredbo :P

Is there emus there? LOL Snowmus!

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Yep, they come out in summer!

Not as many as Nik seems to see though!!!

Posted Image

#13 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hey Nik,

Looks like a great day out.

Thought this might give you a taste of MDSC scenery...

Cheers,
Nik

Interesting!! :)

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#14 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

That was a great read, cool pics!

I'm really wanting to go out travelling to random parts of the east coast when I get my next car, a wagon, and bush it. This make me more keen.

I woulda probably covered the sign somehow or something lol. Kinda odd that the sign is there, because obviously they need to do maintenance on the tracks and surely would know the sign is there..

#15 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for sharing Nik. Looks like a good drive :)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#16 Brett

Brett

Freshly Squeezed Beer Juice.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts
  • Interests:Neatly organised sock drawers, Giving Zero Phux.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

HOPS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image the emus.

Sig worthy.

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I wish Melbourne was closer to WA!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#18 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Cool write up Nik. Beautiful scenery also.

I went to M river many many years ago & headed south to Port Augusta (I think it was called, correct me if I'm wrong)

There was winding road passing through the most beautiful forrest of giant trees. These puppies were absolutely Posted Image ing HUGE. Do you know that place? If so what is it called?

It was one of the most amazing things to experience and when friends visit WA I tell them to visit that area but I have no clue what it's called.

#19 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

We cruised that road a few years back at mdsc, takes you from Nik's place down to (the windiest frikken place on earth) Pemberton on the coast. Good pie!

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#20 Brett

Brett

Freshly Squeezed Beer Juice.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts
  • Interests:Neatly organised sock drawers, Giving Zero Phux.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Pemberton on the coast? Where the Posted Image were you Amsy? Augusta mate. Pemberton is old logging country.

You're probably thing of Caves rd WhiteJosh. Through Karridale there is a small but magnificent pocket of Karri forest.

Sig worthy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users