• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barrybraverman

barrybraverman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Noticed a split in the front driver's inner boot a little while ago, trying to sus out parts now.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

In melbourne, really. I'd prefer to pick up.

Looks like it's not terribly complicated, but a pig of a job.

#2 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Why not just replace the boot and grease? If it isn't clicking, Replace that shiz.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#3 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

A few years ago I had a subi dealer replace / change over 2 x front d/shafts. Cost about $700.00. Long story but the wife need the car fixed.
They lasted 14 months, boots split again. So now out of warranty!! I was fkn pissed as.
Mind you they lasted 8 years from new.
The reason they split, made in China. Cheap shit.
Makin & Luby supplied me 4 x gen subaru front shaft boots.
No problems since.
The drive shaft reco people agreed to supply new Chinese boots but not the labour to change them.
Told them to stick that, I needed them to last a bit longer.
Gen Subi last a shit load longer but cost more. You decide for yourself. As Cam says replace them if ya can.

#4 barrybraverman

barrybraverman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Is it still a relatively cheap part from subaru direct (the boot)? Haven't noticed any clicking but I don't drive it much at the moment in the middle of semester. Did give it a couple of lock turns in a parking lot, not extensively tested though.

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

The clicking you get with a stuffed front CV is quite easy to notice.
If they aren't clicking then your cheapest option would be to get the boot replaced. If you pull the shaft out yourself and then take it to your local mechanic with an Ebay spec boot or similar they will charge you $20 or so to put the new boot on. This would be one of the cheapest scenarios.

If it's not clicking there is no point replacing the whole shaft. It's money that could be better spent elsewhere.

#6 barrybraverman

barrybraverman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, finally went to do it tonight and hit a block on removing the axle from the transmission itself. All the guides I find are for older models that have a different inner-axle to tranny design with a roll pin that's clearly visible, whereas it is not obvious on mine what I need to do to release the shaft from the transmission. We're talking about an 04 impreza here. The FSM hasn't been much help either, I haven't located this part of the procedure on the 04 ones over at http://ken-gilbert.c...service-manuals apparently its not under chas-6 nor trans4-3 which are the only areas I'd expect to find it.... any advice?

Haven't been driving it these intervening weeks, taking the train to uni...

edit: hmmm, I should've clicked on this earlier but didn't realise there was a difference, this 04 was sold in december of that year and has the updated interior (nicer controls n shizz) so I believe it's early 05 stock. Seems there's a difference in the front axle construction explaining why all my searching has been useless.

edit2: Aaaand it seems it just needs to be pried out, which will be a challenge since its sitting above the cat and there's plenty of clutter from above too.
This seems to be more helpful than any impreza specific one I've found so far: http://legacygt.com/...xle-108975.html

#7 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

If it's the same as the MY05+ Foresters, the inner joint stays in the gearbox but the spline comes out. It is held in by something but I'm not sure exactly (when we did the operation on my mates XT, he was under there undoing it and I pulled it out).

It's means that you don't end up with gearbox oil all over the ground ;)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#8 barrybraverman

barrybraverman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes that's how I understand it to work now. We had tried just pulling it out, since it was pretty clear there was no way for a pin to be hiding in the tiny gap between the green universal join race and the transmission. Obviously it takes a bit more force than we were willing to try, being unsure it was the right thing. Shouldn't take long to sort out when I get home tomorrow.

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I think there it's some sort of circlip or clamp holding it in. Once that is removed, give it a jiggle and it should wiggle out :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users