15 replies to this topic

#1 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Trying to locate the PCV valve on a 3Gen B4
Got an idea where it is, some where under the throttle body?
If so do i need to remove the throttle body to gain access or is there other ways to it?

#2 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

I take it u still havent downloaded a service manual yet even after multiple suggestions of doing it...

Ive taken the liberty (no pun intended) of even searching the link for u which took 1 minute... Another spoon fed session

http://www.subyclub....rkshop-manuals/

#3 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... b4 pcv removal

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#4 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I do have it, but it's a bit vague on the exact location. As I said I have a rough idear from the service manual but looking at it on the car it self there's no visual way of looking at it. So I was wondering what way you go about getting to it being that its some where under the throttle body. There is no direct procedure in the manual for taking out a PCV valve. So I'm still wondering what's the best way. Is removing the throttle body excessive or is there other ways?

#5 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Remove intercooler, It will be clear as day.

Why are you removing it?

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Throttle body removal will make it 100x easier, dont even have to remove the water lines to it. Its not hard, just be careful as the threads in the manifold can be fragile when putting the bolts back in, don't over tighten. Also be careful when removing the breather hose off the back on the intake crossover. It gets very brittle and can break easily.

The PCV valve itself will be threaded into the bottom of the manifold, pointing towards the firewall. Its a simple ball bearing valve. Also make sure not to drop anything down the larger crankcase vent port.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#7 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yeh there's like two ways ether the intercooler or the throttle body. The intercooler way looks easier but ill take ya advice on that one.
Thanks Jimbo, awesome advice thanks! :)

Iv got alota oil build up coming around that area, and my air filter is a bit dirty being its 5 months old. My idle is pretty rough so im hoping that its just a block PCV.

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Needs moar STi....

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#9 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Any reason why subaru parts cant find a listing for a PCV valve for a 3gen B4?

I even used that parts website opposedforces.com and even they don't have a listing for it?

I can find one for the RX but unsure if its the same fit?

#10 b4libby

b4libby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Mate I'm having same issue finding Suby part number for PCV, did u find one after all or even a similar model EJ one that fits?

#11 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Mate I'm having same issue finding Suby part number for PCV, did u find one after all or even a similar model EJ one that fits?

Nah man, I couldn't find one in the end. My brother suggested to remove it all together but I wasent sure on what needed to be done to do such a thing so it got it ultra sonic cleaned and put it back in. Don't think any other model will fit being that it's nothing like any other model that iv seen

#12 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Nah man, I couldn't find one in the end. My brother suggested to remove it all together but I wasent sure on what needed to be done to do such a thing so it got it ultra sonic cleaned and put it back in. Don't think any other model will fit being that it's nothing like any other model that iv seen

#13 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

So it's not in this picture?

http://opposedforces...illustration_1/

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#14 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

it is but its not listed, its number 12

iv gone to every Subaru parts shop and they have the same issue its not listed but its in the diagram and they cant explain it either

any other model yeh but the B4 is the only one they cant find 

not even Repco can even find one 

#15 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Can't see the need to replace it, as long as it's been cleaned out it should be sweet. It's just a small case with a bearing that moves depending on the intake pressure. If it's still presenting a similar problem, after the cleaning, i would say it's probably something else.

If your piston rings are getting tired, excess pressure in the crank case and heads can make a mess of your emissions junk. I once had a ring gone so bad, my atmo BOV used to shoot oil into the chassis rail. Double check all your lines and fittings, and for extra security get yourself a compression test done.

Whatever you do, avoid leaving the head and crank case breathers open to atmo. I would also suggest rigging up yourself a catch can.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

also just clean these things out in a jar of fuel.. give it a shake and all good..

Also.. im pretty sure they are all the same.. just get same as an RX one.. its a pretty simple device as mentioned.. Case, spring, ball bearing.

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users