3 replies to this topic

#1 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hey all
Been thinking of getting a projector for my room but I have no idear what I'm doing.
My first question is what do I need to get a 21:9 ratio or cinema scope setup.
Iv seen people use special lens adapters to so this but surely you can buy projectors that do it allready.
Agen I have no idear about projectors so was hoping to get much info as possible.
Iv been looking at getting the Sony VPL-HW30ES

#2 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

If you are wanting to do an Anamorphic setup (2.35:1), i'd advise to go with a projector with Lens Memory. This feature is built into the projector so that you don't need to go with an expensive separate lens for stretching the picture horizontally to fill the screen.

Have a look at something like the Panasonic PT-AE8000. The Sony's are a decent projector but the light output is reasonably low. So unless you have a dedicated theatre with no windows, ceiling painted black, it will struggle.

http://www.panasonic...AE8000/Overview

Are there any decent hifi stores close by that you could checkout these setups in the flesh? It really helps in making a decision rather than buying off the net or by someone else's opinion.

#3 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hey man thanks for the info.
That unit seems realy good, hard to find a bad review about it.
Also when going 2.35:1, for what I can see all it dose is zoom in? Can't this be done by any projector manually ?
I was hoping to find one that actually projects the actual resolution i.e., 2560 x 1080. I have seen a Philips tv do this so it should be done alot often in projectors right ?

#4 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Also when going 2.35:1, for what I can see all it dose is zoom in? Can't this be done by any projector manually ?

Exactly, that's all it does - but it does it automatically by sensing the source image. Sure you can get up to your ceiling mount, zoom out to fill the screen re-focus, re-adjust the projector to be centred on the screen and sit back down again - but if you want 2.35:1 aspect ratio, you would want this to happen automatically.

I was hoping to find one that actually projects the actual resolution i.e., 2560 x 1080. I have seen a Philips tv do this so it should be done alot often in projectors right ?

The issue is the Bluray format will only do a max 1920x1080 so if you have a movie with 2.35:1 aspect ratio the resolution will only be 1920x817. A projector with 2560x1080 - yeah that will be hard to come across. The other way they do this is vertically fill the 1920x1080 frame with the 1920x817 image and use the anamorphic lens to horizontally expand the image onto a 2.35:1 projection screen.

The same theory as this:
http://commons.wikim...orphic_lens.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users