• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Guys,

I'm pretty keen on an S4, but don't exactly have the funds to just buy one. I've recently left Optus due to shit customer service and my parents house actually being in an Optus blackspot.

In the meantime I'm currently on a Vaya (Optus network, haha, stupid I know, but I'm paying $22 p/m for a service I'm not getting at home rather then $60 p/m) sim-only plan. They're the only ones who offer 4G at moment (reason why I went with them), I heard Aldi will soon, but who knows when.

I'm wondering what plans/network you lot would recommend, I can realistically do no more then $80 p/m.

I'd prefer a 4G plan, but if you know a really good 3G plan, comment away.

Also, let me know your hands-on reviews with the S4, but I'm open to the HTC One and Sony Xperia Z as well :)

Cheers

(Hope this makes sense, slightly inebriated! :D)

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

i hate optus. i've been with them for almost 15 year and always say i'm going to change networks but i'm lazy and never do.

h.t.h

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

i hate optus. i've been with them for almost 15 year and always say i'm going to change networks but i'm lazy and never do.

h.t.h

Hectic loyalty discount!! Haha.

I only stuck around for 3 years. Only just found out that I actually live in a Optus (N??) blackspot zone thingy. One of their customer service managers actually told me the truth about things.. The rest were lying pricks.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#4 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

h.t.h

+1.

I'm in the same boat Aek. But I have a feeling that once the new iPhone comes out, I'll be making a decision to leave, buy it outright and either go for Telstra or an Aldi plan. They will be offering 4G as Sam mentioned, it's just a matter of when. Awesome pricing for their plans and the benefits are the same (if not better) to those offered at $80+ per month.

I'd definitely go the HTC One over the Galaxy S4, Sam. I don't know, I just am a big fan of build quality. If a phone feels like plastic in my hand, I won't get it. Simple. That's one of the biggest reasons why I've been with the iPhone for so long. The HTC One is the only other phone I'd ever go to at this stage.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#5 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

I used to sell Optus and gotta say it's not good at all.

I personally buy my handsets outright so I can swap phones whenever I like.

I'm on the Boost Pre-paid which is on the Telstra Next G network. Not the wholesale Telstra 3G network that aldi and kogan use. It's $40 per month for Unlimited calls & text with 3GB on internet data in Australia. No complaints with the service or dropped calls. When Telstra say they are the best network they are telling the truth with that one. Optus just can't match it for coverage.

#6 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

and Sam if you can afford to pay for the phone outright you should. In the long run its cheaper than doing a 2 year contract and you get better value for money on pre-paid.

#7 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Interesting to hear that Harrier. I might look at what Boost has to offer when I grab my new phone. And you're HEAPS better off buying it outright. It may be a larger price to pay in one go, but you'll be saving yourself a good $1,000+ as opposed to going with a plan. It's insane once you do the maths...

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#8 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

It's insane once you do the maths...

Well here is some maths I worked out with a Samsung S4.

Option 1

http://www.telstra.c...xy-s4/index.htm

Telstra "Small" plan is $71 minimum per month over 24 months. Minimum over the 2 years is $1704.

You get $600 call/mms value, Unlimited SMS and 1GB of data.

Option 2

http://www.kogan.com...500-16gb-black/

Buy S4 outright from Kogan $629

Boost Mobile is $40 per month for Unlimited calls, unlimited text, unlimited mms and 3GB of data. $40 per month over 24 months is $960

Over the 24 months it will cost $1589

Now the diffrence between the two options. Option 1 will give you the Telstra 4G network but quite a bit less call and data value. Option 2 will cost more upfront but you can make all the national calls, text and picture messages you want. Plus 3x more internet data as well. Also with this option you aren't locked in for 24mths. If you get sick of the service after 6 months you can change and take the phone with you.

#9 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Buy S4 outright from Kogan $629

The 4G one is $40 cheaper haha.

#10 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

The 4G one is $40 cheaper haha.

Yes that is true. The 3G model i9500 has the brand new 8 core processor. The i9505 (4g model) has the traditional 4 core. If that something you care about lol

#11 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Well there you go. That numbers tell the facts.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users