12 replies to this topic

#1 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys,

Having a little annoyance with the b4 at the moment.

1) running rich as hell, dumping black/ brown crap all over the rear end and making smoke trails when given the boot and changing gear on boost.

2) when I stop at the traffic lights, it'll sit nice and idle but then all of a sudden kind of hiccups and res back up again. Only does it once, but then again it isn't idle long enough to do it twice.

3) when very lightly on the throttle for about 5 seconds (cruising a carpal looking for a spot), the af gauge shows lean and I start to feel the car spit and buck a little bit until I give it more gas, then flips and runs rich.

4) when taking off from the lights, it's very easy to stall it. Though I don't know if this is me just failing at life with a fresh HD clutch.

My question to you is, would a stuffed maf sensor cause this kind of hiccuping and cause the car to run rich? On my a/f gauge, it's only lean when on compression braking and sitting idle or under very light acceleration. All other times, even just cruising, it's completely on the rich side.

My car was tuned by pulse racing originally (big mistake by prev. Owner) and when I took it there last all he told me was that the ECU was in trim mode due to a 'dirty' maf sensor. Sound legit?

1994 Mitsubishi Magna | 1992 BMW 325i | 2001 Subaru Liberty B4

Posted Image

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Clean all sensors and black box of death. See what happens. Also interrogate the ECU for fault codes. The ECU wont just change modes without reason. As for stalling it, you can guarantee it will be part the above problem, and part clutch. New HD clutch will take some getting used to.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

could certainly be caused by a faulty maf sensor, could also be as simple as an intake leak, i would be checking all the pipe work for leaks before spending $$ on a new maf.

Has this suddenly started happening, was it running properly before?

#4 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Pulse do good tunes.

Clean yo sensors.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#5 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

could certainly be caused by a faulty maf sensor, could also be as simple as an intake leak, i would be checking all the pipe work for leaks before spending $$ on a new maf.
Has this suddenly started happening, was it running properly before?

To be honest it hasn't been running perfectly since January when the battery died completely and it started running crap. Pulse hasn't managed to get it runnin properly again, just telling me that my maf is 'dirty' when I sent it there. So they cleaned it and it made no difference. When I told him about it running rich and dumping crap on my bumper and boot, I was told that it was my exhausts fault for being too close to the bumper. But it wasn't doing it before January.

As for the hiccuping etc, I think it was pretty sudden. But I can't be 100% sure

Posted Image

#6 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

another thing it could be is a failed coolant temp sensor, keeping the ecu in cold running enrich mode... 

can you get ur hands on an ecu scanner to see what temp it think the engine is at?

#7 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks guys, ill try all of these this weekend.

Just on a sidenote, I know there's a boost leak somewhere along the line which is characterised by a very high pitched screech on full boost. Almost like the intake has sucked up a small cat. I'll try to upload a vid at some point today. Basically makes the sound on full boost at anything other than WOT (pulling up to speed on the motorway etc.)

Posted Image

#8 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

if you have a known boost leak, then that NEEDS to be fixed first.  It is probably the source of all your troubles...

#9 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Does it kinda sound like this? (squeal/ whine noise is pretty quiet)

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#10 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Does it kinda sound like this? (squeal/ whine noise is pretty quiet)

Nah, just a loud screeching. I'll upload a vid later from inside the car...

Again, doesn't do it on WOT, just when the TB is somewhat closed. I thought it was my BOV, as it sounds close to the firewall, but I changed it to no avail

Posted Image

#11 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Had so much trouble trying to get it to make the noise on my daily travels. Managed to. Get a vid whilst at 100kph on the freeway, cruising up to 110. So you can see how light this pedal pressure is web it makes the sound.

You can hear the boost gauge beeping for a sec, telling me that it's overboosting (probably due to the leak no?). But that screeching noise is what is causing me concern

http://i225.photobuc...zps8fdcd458.mp4

Posted Image

#12 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

So... Does anyone knowif that's an actual boost leak or not?

I'm new to turbo'd things, so I have no clue.

Posted Image

#13 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

That doesn't sound like a boost leak to me. Failed pulley, loose belt... something worse :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users