Photo

McIntosh Amp with Aftermarket HU. How to and a bit of extra info.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

First off, this is going to be a work in progress thread. At present, I do not have any of the parts required, but some of the more essential parts will be on order by the end of this night shift.

My aim here is to get rid of my problematic Mac HU and replace it with an Alpine CDE-145E, while keeping the McIntosh amp. I could get away with a CDE-143E, but I like some of the higher spec features on the 145 (namely the 9 band parametric EQ).

To do this, you will require the following:

Aftermarket head unit, with at least 4 RCA Preouts. Front & Rear. The third set of preouts on my head unit for the Sub channel will not be used yet, but is more of a provision if I want to hook up a separate sub/amp from the Mac one. Useful to maintain the sound quality of the mac system while adding some punch if you wanted.

You can use a HU with only 2 preouts, but you wont have any F/R fading, and will need a set of RCA splitters, as the amp still needs 4 input channels to work properly.

13 pin DIN connector (Can be bought from most electronics stores).

You will also need some cable of some sort to solder from the DIN connector to some RCA connectors listed below. My suggestion is some CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable. The better the shielding and closer the factory cable twisting is kept to the RCAs/DIN connector, the less 'noise' you will get. Remember to only earth one end of the shielding, otherwise it wont shield. It will probably be easier to earth the DIN connector as the aftermarket RCAs wont have an shield connection point.

You will also need a small gauge wire to run the remote amp power up. Connect this to the aftermarket unit's remote amp wire (Usually blue or blue with white trace, can't remember which) and then solder it to the relevant pin on the DIN plug.

4x female RCA connectors that are solderable. You will need to run a short set of RCAs from the head unit to these connectors, and solder the new cable to the back of these.

Thats pretty much what you need in parts. Basically you want the following:

Aftermarket head unit -> Male to male RCA leads -> Female RCA plugs soldered to your nice new Cable, which is then soldered to the new 13 pin DIN plug -> Stock McIntosh amp.

From what I have read online about this, soldering the DIN plug is a rather large pain in the arse. Do yourself a favour and dont skimp on the quality of this plug. Cheap ones tend to melt the plastic holding the pins during soldering. Also might be good to have some freeze spray handy when soldering to cool everything down after soldering each pin.

So the pinout diagram...

Heres how you need to have it (Colouring listed is for CAT5e)

ef-1080i-input-connector.png?w=630

Pin     Function         Colour

1      Front Left +           Blue

2      Front Left -        White/Blue

3      Front Right +       Orange

4      Front Right -    White/Orange

5 Amp Remote Power Separate

6          Ground             Shield

7       Rear Left +          Green

8       Rear Left -      White/Green

9            N/C                     -

10          N/C                     -

11    Rear Right +         Brown

12       Ground              Shield

13    Rear Right -      White/Brown

Note there are 2 shield points. Easiest way to deal with this is to separate the overall shielding on the CAT5 cable into 2 bunches (which will make it easier to solder to the pins anyways)

Something to note is the factory speakers (with the exception of the sub, which is 4 ohm) are 8 ohm. Almost all car stereo speakers these days are 4 ohm. So if you change the speakers out, make sure you change all 4 otherwise your front/rear bias will be out by a fair whack. The other thing that may help after changing the speakers out is to up the gain on the sub channel (you just upped the noise on the 4 speakers by dropping their resistance, so why not up the noise on the sub too).

http://nzlamb.wordpr...subwoofer-hack/

These amps are a nice unit, putting out approx 38W RMS per speaker channel and 72W RMS to the sub channel. From what I can tell these amps are 4 ohm stable, but not 2 ohm stable, so don't try and power a 2 ohm sub with this amp. It will eventually end with you letting the smoke out of the amp as one of the FETs lets go.

Once everything rocks up, I'll put it all together and post up pics as I go.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Been having troubles finding somewhere that will stock a 13 pin solderable DIN plug. So will probably end up butchering the standard DIN cable. They are approx 180 bucks for a new cable, so I'm not going to buy a new cable to butcher.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the great info. I've been getting more and more sick of simply not having mp3 support so have been thinking of doing something along these lines. Is the DIN plug coming from the amp female?

I've found this: http://www.cui.com/p...resource/sd.pdf

We make semi regular orders to digikey through my work so shipping wouldn't be a problem.

Or these guys have male and female:

http://www.minikits....-video/din/DP13

http://www.minikits....-video/din/DS13

That last site mentions Icom. I'll go downstairs and check if we have any in stock.

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Sweet, seems I wasn't looking hard enough.... Might do this after all. Spent some time at work trying to find one, but all the sites I looked at had 13 pin plugs, but a totally different layout.

Both ends of the DIN cable are male, so its certainly not an impossible task.

#5 Kurtz

Kurtz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hellow, allpaw4! I'm trying to install another HU instead OEM Mcintosh in my Lancaster BHE & have some problems. I've soldered new connection cable to the amp, but it hasn't worked, only rear speakers are working now, looks like without amp. I've changed cable to the mirror pinout, it hasn't worked again. How did you assemble your cable? This is pinout on the amp or for the cable?

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

I havent started this aside from starting to organise parts yet. House is getting in the way. The posted pin-out is for the amp end of the cable. If you have a look at one of the other mcintosh threads in the electrical/electronics forum, there is a info page there. Open that up and it has both ends. The comments at the bottom of the page are quite useful too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users