#1 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Gday Guys,

New member here in Sydney currently driving a 97 RX 2.5 wagon. I'm starting to think of updating to a Gen 4. I would like abit more power especially when pulling the trailer!

I do love my RX, its comfortable and handles well after updating shocks and swaybars etc but just lacks power especially off the mark, it is just plain slow...especially when loaded up.

I'm looking at updating to a Gen4 Liberty/outback MY07-09 looking at 2.5gt b spec/3.0 b spec wagon or outback 3.0.

I know the Liberty /outback are different in the sense of ground clerance but share the exact same platform.

Can people who have owned or driven these cars suggest pros and cons or what they are like as a daily. My misses loves the idea of a turbo( I guess can always upgrade turbo/tune for more power if wanted fairly eaisly?)

Is the 2.5 turbo the pick over the 3.0N/A or not much in it?

5 speed Auto/6 speed Manual much difference in performance reliability?

Is the extra ground clerance/height/practicality of the outback easier to live with day to day especially having a baby.

etc etc...

Thanks Max

p.s looking forward to going on a cruise with you.

#2 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Welcome to SubyClub mate.

I currently own a 2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon (click the link in my signature to see some pics) and I must say it's the best car I've owned. It is powerful, has plenty of guts and does everything I want it to do with great ease and efficiency, and I've got the Sportshift 5 speed automatic. I have driven to the Hunter Valley with it, towed my cousins boat without a hassle at all and use it as my daily drive. The fact that you're going for a wagon means that you'll have plenty of space for outdoor activities, shopping, parts, towing boats/trailers, etc. Pretty much anything you want to do in day to day life will not be too much for it. You will definitely be happy with the upgrade, and the Gen IV is by far the best looking Subaru in my honest opinion. I rate it better than the BRZ.

In saying that though, I am unsure about the 2.5 GT SpecB as I have not driven one. The turbo would be awesome, but there is nothing wrong with turbocharging or even supercharging your 3.0R. ;)

Tuning it would be no problem at all either. As a matter of fact, once I get a new exhaust installed I will be going for a tune myself.

You're gonna get mixed emotions from different people on whether to go for the GT or 3.0R. But judging from the majority of people that have expressed their opinions, the 3.0R is the way to go. In regards to the difference between the Liberty and the Outback, well I went for the Liberty as I fell in love with the look. I'm not a fan of a tall car and wanted a sleeky and sporty look even if it was to be a wagon. The Bilstein suspension system that comes in the SpecB's are bloody amazing and the ride is comfortable and smooth. I've noticed no problems whatsoever other than simple maintenance and/or replacement parts due to age, but you're going to get that with any car.

Possibly the only con that I've noticed in my wagon is the fuel efficiency. At the moment I am running at 12.2L per 100 km (I always fill up with 98, nothing less), so yes, it is a little thirsty/expensive (especially these days) but I've been told once I get it tuned, that number will definitely lower to anywhere between 8-10L per 100 km depending on the tune itself.

You've chosen a perfect car to go for and I'm sure whichever one you go for, you will definitely be one happy chappy. Best of luck mate and by all means ask more questions. The more research and knowledge you get, the better. The blokes on this forum are a HUGE help and assisted me in all aspects when I bought my car last year.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#3 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the friendly and informative reply, Certainly food for thought. I do love my current RX wagon but its just a pain when towing and forget trying to drag anything off the lights, It doesn't really kick in till 25km/h an then your too late...

The reason I wanted a Gen 4 is due to the look, I think one of the best looking traditonal wagons on the market!

I feel the same re the look and handling of a sporty wagon, I just figured the Outback has the same as the liberty with extra ground clerance but I guess it wouldn't quite handle the same on road as a b spec.

I noticed very little bspec manuals for sale, much more choice for Autos. Would there be much difference in performance? or is the 6 speed just a real tall overdrive for fuel economy on the freeway?

Thanks

#4 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

How much do you want to spend?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#5 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm looking early 20k mark for a good clean car with lowish kays and a full service history. BTW Gary how do you get such acurate fuel consumption figures?

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

You're welcome mate.

Ha ha, you shouldn't be dragging at all! But I can understand the sluggish response you may get from your current wagon. The Outback and Liberty are the same technically, but as you've mentioned it is lifted (2-3" if I remember corerctly), has a more muscular look you could say with the additional panels found around the car and has some additional perks like heated driver and passenger seats, etc. It'd handle extremely well as it's a Subaru, but of course the SpecB with the factory Bilstein suspension system would be on a better level.

That's luck of the draw to be honest. When I was looking for a Liberty I didn't have a preference on what transmission it had and it was sorta 50/50. I test drove manuals and automatics and found the 5 speed automatic to be sturdy, efficient and worked well. That's not to say the manual is a negative. I believe that bit comes down to personal preference although skillionaire (Nik; an administrator of this forum) told me that the Gen IV Sportshift 5 speed automatic are arguably the best automatic transmission. Whether he was comparing it to other Subaru's or all cars, I'm not sure. Regardless that's quite a good wrap for them I think.

I can't remember specifics when I test drove them back in November and December. I just remember them both performing quite well. Obviously the manual will give you much more responsiveness as opposed to the auto, but again, personal preference at the end of the day.

In regards to getting accurate figures, I am merely using the information given to me by the car. That's how it stands at the moment. I have one equation that I've done on my own however. I filled up my car with 57.07L of 98 and travelled approximately 449 km. This comes to a total of 12.71L/100 km. Bear in mind that this is a mixture of city, local and Princes Highway driving (to get to work) and I didn't exactly let my fuel run out nor was the fuel tank completely empty when I refuelled so it would've been a bit more which could equal the 12L/100 km mark. Tune will make this number much less.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#7 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

welcome to suby club mate :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#8 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys, I was introduced to this forum via a work mate Josh who's got the White B4(Converted from Heritage). He said you where a friendly bunch of guys. I know he enjoyed your recent Hunter valley Cruise alot :yahoo:

#9 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ha ha, everyone here is willing to put in their two cents to help someone out. We've all gotta start somewhere and even though I've been here for a little under a year, I'm still learning something new all the time. Why not open up your own introductory topic and give us a few details about yourself, possibly some pics of your car too?

We can leave this topic specifically to answer questions you've got about the Gen IV.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#10 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I will get round to posting a photo of my RX.  Silver in colour Basically stock with B4 BBS wheels, uprated whiteline rear swaybar with HD links, HD links on and poly D bushes with standard front bar.

Can the sat nav on the Gen 4 be retrofitted at a later date without to much trouble? Would you find a unit 2nd hand on ebay or go aftermarket and would it have the same features as the factory unit? 

#11 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

G'day Max.

I love the Gen 4. Do it!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

Nice.

I assume it can. I haven't really looked into it myself actually as I am concentrating on other parts for my car but I can guess that it'll just be a matter of taking what's there and adding in the new unit. The hardest bit would be setting up the aerial and ensuring it'll all work. I'm being quite vague as I don't know the specifics for it. Apologies if I am steering you in the wrong direction. Sourcing them is a matter of chance too. Every now and then a Gen IV pops up for wrecking due to being involved in a crash. There was a guy that sold his at quite a good price on another Subaru enthusiast forum. eBay, Subaru forums, ICHIban and Import Monster will be your friend sooner than you think. ;)

As far as aftermarket units go, again I couldn't tell you from personal experience. I'd expect them to have the same, if not, more features than the stock satellite navigation. You'd hope so anyway... But then price comes into the equation.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#13 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Gday Morgan,

Do you have a Gen 4?

I gonna do it, Just have to find the right one at the right price, I'm not in a crazy hurry but if the right one comes up I will be ready!

Would be nice to have the Sat nav and other info the unit displays. However its not a deal breaker if I find the right car without it.

Basically the 2 questions are 2.5T or 3.0n/a and auto or man?? Then I can narrow in on the purchase. 

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Gday Morgan,

Do you have a Gen 4?

Nah mate my current Subaru is an XT Foretser but I'd love a Gen 4 GT/TB STi/3.0 Spec B wagon one day :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Besides the km's, this is tidy;

http://forum.liberty...php?f=3&t=22826

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#16 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Quite a good example of a 3.0R SpecB that's been taken care of.

You have the right attitude. Don't jump at the first few that show up. Do your shopping around and continually research. I jumped in too early and almost got forked over because of it. First one I bought ended up being a repairable write-off (be aware of what suburb/s the seller is from). Make sure you do your registration and history check. It's worth the additional $21 for a full history report which gives you details such as whether the car has been written-off in NSW or interstate.

When everything checks out, you'll be driving the Ferrari of Subaru. ;)

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#17 SubyRX

SubyRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes I,ve seen this one on carsales, but it has very high Kms apart from that it looks good however...What kind of kms can you expect from this model without major problems if the car has been looked after?

#18 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks guys, I was introduced to this forum via a work mate Josh who's got the White B4(Converted from Heritage). He said you where a friendly bunch of guys. I know he enjoyed your recent Hunter valley Cruise alot  :yahoo:

Max my man!  Welcome to SubyClub..... finally!

For some inspiration you must check out CRUISIN's thread. http://www.subyclub....he-gt-goodness/

He is a sparky like yourself and his attention to detail is second to none!

Just to throw a spanner in the works.... Check out Finky's 08 STi hatch.http://www.subyclub....h-18g/?hl=finky

This car makes many including myself drool.

Even though a wagon would suit your needs better I know you want one & it's still an option for you  ;)

Enjoy mate

#19 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks guys, I was introduced to this forum via a work mate Josh who's got the White B4(Converted from Heritage). He said you where a friendly bunch of guys. I know he enjoyed your recent Hunter valley Cruise alot :yahoo:

I've heard of him, odd fellow he is.....but don't tell him I said that

:D

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#20 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

I've heard of him, odd fellow he is

:D

:sarcastic:  so true and quite a nice way of saying it Ash. Cheers bud.

Max already knows I'm a special case lol.

Max, you should throw up some pics of your Gen2.  There's a lot of love for them here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users