←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

NSW to backflip on P-Plate turbo restricti...

Shaz's Photo Shaz 08 Aug 2013

NSW is set to overturn a ban preventing P-platers from driving the latest turbocharged fuel efficient vehicles.

Provisional drivers in NSW will be subject to fairer vehicle guidelines from next year, with the state government due to adopt a national framework that better reflects vehicle performance.

Under changes to be rolled out as early as January, a contentious blanket ban on turbocharged and supercharged vehicles will be replaced by a formula that calculates the power-to-weight ratio of a car with a limit of 130kW/tonne, opening up a plethora of low-powered vehicles for P-platers that use turbo-chargers to save fuel.

The rethink will also apply to high-powered diesel vehicles, which are currently approved for provisional drivers because of a loophole. The framework, drafted by the Austroads Registration and Licensing Task Force, is set to be implemented in NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland

More informatino can be found here. 

tmh983's Photo tmh983 08 Aug 2013

setting a fixed power to weight ratio restriction makes a lot more sense than a generic ban on turbos.  Good decision.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 08 Aug 2013

Wow didn't see that coming.

130kw/tonne isn't a bad ratio either. Calculator here : http://www.autosnout...bhp-per-ton.php

FYI a car with 180kw out of the box that weighs 1400kg is 129kw/tonne. Nice. Looks like a Liberty GT would pass for P-Platers!

Dylan's Photo Dylan 08 Aug 2013

They should have done this in the first place. I thought Victoria always had a power to weight ratio system in place anyway.

I had an exemption to drive my Lib back in the day, never actually had to use it though !! I saw a P plater driving a new WRX the other day.. They obviously still let people get the exemptions ! 

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 08 Aug 2013

They should have done this in the first place. I thought Victoria always had a power to weight ratio system in place anyway.

I had an exemption to drive my Lib back in the day, never actually had to use it though !! I saw a P plater driving a new WRX the other day.. They obviously still let people get the exemptions ! 

We do have power to weight but still no turbo cars unless they're the only car available and can't be a sports car so non wrx's etc. So still pretty lame

ricco's Photo ricco 09 Aug 2013

i drove a bugatti on my p's cause it was the only family car, then i had to drive a ferrari cause my parents had a kid and needed a family car as well :( tough first world issues right

R-Y's Photo R-Y 09 Aug 2013

Day Dreams are awesome

TSG's Photo TSG 09 Aug 2013

I guess it does stop kids from driving cars they can't handle... but a WRX rocking its stock turbo would be legal under these regs? How do they govern this. 130kw/tonne is quite a bit of power, and you just know those that feel the need to abuse the law will buy one just inside the regulations and tune it lol.

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 09 Aug 2013

I guess it does stop kids from driving cars they can't handle... but a WRX rocking its stock turbo would be legal under these regs? How do they govern this. 130kw/tonne is quite a bit of power, and you just know those that feel the need to abuse the law will buy one just inside the regulations and tune it lol.

It has to be printed on the build plate or somewhere on the car i believe. Either that or you have to carry the factory specs with you. I spose if they really wanted to get you theyd make you dyno it but i guess you can just detune it. All depends on how far youre willing to go to not get busted

R-Y's Photo R-Y 09 Aug 2013

Add all aftermarket parts, get tune, but get one thy runs massively underpower. Switch between it if need be

Beejay667's Photo Beejay667 09 Aug 2013

All these evasion ideas are the reason why restrictions were brought in right?

TSG's Photo TSG 09 Aug 2013

Nah Tracy Grimshaw was the reason. That and kids wrapping themselves around poles with a car full of 'mates'.

I dunno if its still the same, but the funniest law in NSW is L and P plater speed restrictions on freeways. We almost killed a couple of them last weekend. Up here we're taught that you are meant to be doing 100 by the time you merge onto the freeway, a bit hard when there is a L/P plater doing 20-30 under in the merging lane!

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 09 Aug 2013

I do believe NSW has uppped the L Plater speed limit to 90kph now?

Up here we're taught that you are meant to be doing 100 by the time you merge onto the freeway, a bit hard when there is a L/P plater doing 20-30 under in the merging lane!

Certainly what i was taught

12.SLOW's Photo 12.SLOW 09 Aug 2013

i think its bullshit no turbo for p's 

I think its valid, but i its for too long. 4 years (in Victoria) is a bit much in my opinion. It almost tempts people to disobey the law. That being said it will make that first legal turbo smile all the better

Liberty's Photo Liberty 09 Aug 2013

I reckon they should be busy dealing with those that break the law and cause the accidents, not treating everyone the same. I made my mistakes and have learned from them, but here I am, 25 on my greens and still unable to drive any sort of modified vehicle.

That'll change next month when I get my full license.

Preventing youths from doing things to their cars doesn't stop it. They will just drive around a sleeper until something happens and their car is inspected. There are always loopholes in the system too.

Robert's Photo Robert 09 Aug 2013

Yea I think its valid, maybe after 2 years of gaining your licence they could introduce a safe driving course which would enable you to drive a turbo/supercharged car. 

Guest_KONG_* 09 Aug 2013

Yeah I agree.  Those damn P plater's can EAD. They shouldn't be even alowed to drive. 

Yea I think its valid, maybe after 2 years of gaining your licence they could introduce a safe driving course which would enable you to drive a turbo/supercharged car. 

Not going to stop people being tools as soon as they get the car though. There really is no way of doing it that would stop people being tools or winding up the boost. As frustrating as the current system is, it does work. Even getting an exemption for a low powered turbo car is annoying. One of my mates went to the police to ask about a Forester GT exemption and they said you can but they get pulled over all the time and the power increase isnt that amazing.