• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Car alarm installation woes. Bit of an explanation/story... if you care to read as it's a rather long. icon_smile.gif

OK, Here goes...

I own a 2001 ?Bug Eye? WRX, and after some research into alarm systems with multi-point immobilisation and turbo timer I decided to go with the Mongoose M80G.

My vehicle did not have any brant alarm installed. (I stripped the interior to remove the remaining/left over wiring from whatever was in there before), nor could I find an immobiliser under the dash.

I proceeded to source a Mongoose M80G, which I ended up purchasing from Carbon Car Systems in NSW. I had already sourced a local SA company to do the full installation of this alarm system for $150.00 AUD (after many discussions on it was indeed a FULL install for that price).

I left my vehicle with the company to do the full installation of the alarm system into my vehicle. I was told it would take all afternoon as I dropped my vehicle off at about midday. I got a call at 4pm stating that the car wouldn't be ready, so I opted to leave it there overnight for them to continue on it the next day. I then collected the vehicle the following day at 5:00pm (it was wet, rainy, horrible), I didn't check the alarm system while I was there, nor was I shown how it operated, etc. I was told that the installation was all completed, I paid the money and left.

Two days later once I had time to test the alarm system via the check list in the user operations manual (check all alarm triggers, make sure immobiliser works, etc), I noticed that the bonnet was sitting about 1cm above the guard. Bonnet pin trigger was stopping it from sitting correctly/flush. Checked the alarm system, and the only trigger points to work were the drivers door and ignition, no other zones triggered the alarm system, I tested the alarm system three separate times to make sure.

After discussion with the installer, I returned the vehicle for the alarm system to be corrected. At the time I was present the bonnet pin was corrected, it was working and the bonnet was sitting correctly again (flush with guards), we discussed the remaining issues and since he explained that the boot trigger did not get wired at all (full installation? eh), whilst he ran the alarm trigger wire for the boot, I explained that he may as well run another wire at the same time for the remote button boot release so that in the future I could place a solenoid there and finish the boot release myself, it was agreed upon and stated that ?it won't cost much extra as it's just some wiring, a relay, and maybe some labour?. I agreed that I would pay for the extra that I had asked for. We scheduled another time to get the remaining issues corrected and the extra boot release trigger done and I left.

I then left the vehicle with the installer for another day for the remaining issues to be corrected and the extra boot release wiring done. Later that day I received a phone call stating that it's all fixed and that I owe him $155.00 AUD for the work done today.... what the, that's what the full installation cost me to begin with!!!

I went to collect the vehicle and explained that I'm happy to pay for the extra cost that was for the wiring and relay for the future boot release, but I should not have to pay for work done to correct the parts that were missed/not installed initially. After some explaining on my part, he agreed to remove the cost of the doors that did not trigger the alarm, and I still owed him $130.00 AUD.

C'mon... I explained that he agreed to a full installation of the alarm system into my vehicle for $150.00 AUD which meant exactly that... FULL (all standard settings on the alarm system), which included bonnet trigger, all 4 door triggers, boot trigger, shock sensor, glass break sensor, central locking integration, triple point immobilisation and turbo timer connection.

So the only part I should be paying for now is the extra wiring/relay/labour for the future boot release (he had to run the boot alarm trigger in the exact same place anyway, so run 2 wires instead of just 1... makes sense to me). I was then told it was still $130.00 AUD that I owed him. At this point I was beyond pissed off, as I was only expecting to pay around $50.00 AUD for it. We had more discussion and I explained myself over and over again until I had enough and offered him $80.00 AUD for the extra work carried out. He refused that offer and stuck to his $130.00 AUD. After more discussion I then made a final offer of $100.00 AUD just so I could get my vehicle and leave. My offer was denied, then five minutes later he accepted it. I explained that I was not happy about this situation, then left.

The following day I went to test the alarm system via the check list in the user operations manual again, everything seemed to be working and correctly zoned (1 flash for bonnet, 2 for boot, 3 for doors, etc) so finally I was rather pleased that it was installed correctly and everything was working.

Since I was told that the turbo timer was wired up but he was unable to program it due to legalities, I had to do that part myself. I got the manual out, programmed the turbo timer to on, set the turbo timer to 2 minutes and then proceeded to test it.... didn't work.

I re-programmed the turbo timer to make sure it was on and functioning properly. Started engine, ran it, turned ignition off.... engine turned off. L.E.D. Light on the dash was off totally, waited for 2 minutes, it then began to flash in quick succession (30 second countdown until immobilisation) then immobiliser armed, lights flashed and alarm chirped. So the alarm side of things was working as intended, I tried this a couple of times and came to the conclusion that the ignition has been wired incorrectly for the turbo timer.

I contacted the company that did the installation yet again and explained what is not working. I was told that he double and triple checked his wiring, so it can't be that, it must be a faulty module (faulty alarm system), so I explained that I will contact Carbon Car Systems from where I purchased the alarm system from and explain it all to them.

I contacted Carbon Car Systems and spoke to Colin regarding my issue, what I had done in programming the turbo timer to on and how the alarm system went through the correct motions of the turbo timer functionality. I then spoke to one of their technicians, Dave, about the situation and was told that my alarm system has been wired incorrectly and it would not be a faulty module (as it is a rare occurrence). Dave also offered to help my installer if he needed guidance. I thanked him for his input and help.

Again I spoke to my installer and explained what Carbon Car Systems explained to myself and for him to contact Carbon Car Systems directly (which he did). After that my installer then explained to me that it has not been installed correctly and will need the vehicle back again for it to be corrected... for the fourth time. I booked the vehicle in to get the remaining issues corrected.

In the mean time I spoke to consumer affairs about this matter and received some great input regarding my whole experience and ongoing issues. I was advised to try and get back two thirds of the entire installation cost and go elsewhere to complete the installation of my alarm system into my vehicle ?as he seems very incompetent?.

Upon arriving back with my vehicle to get the remaining issue sorted, I was very anxious, as yet again I expected to be charged for this 'fix', and to be honest, didn't really want him touching my vehicle again. I said up front ?this isn't costing me anything is it?? to which I got ?no, it's under warranty?... *phew*. He proceeded to work on my alarm system, pulled the driver side under dash off, to reveal a mess of wires...*sigh*. The alarm module was just shoved in there, nothing mounted, everything just hanging, wires all over the place patched into each other.

He checked his work, and saw that it was indeed wired incorrectly, so he proceeded to correct it (with my help). I programmed the turbo-timer to on, and for 1 minute run-time. Motor started, ignition off and engine off at the same time. I realised that we had the drivers door open (I did research on the alarm system previously), so pressed the door trigger in, started the motor, ignition off and the motor still ran, let go of the door trigger and all was good again. He proceeded to wire it up correctly, put the alarm module back together, then electrical tape wrap the ?mess? of wires up and shove it back under the dash. *SMH*

After all that, the turbo-timer issue was corrected, while I was there I got him to fix the mounting of the alarm siren, as he mounted it on top of wires (pinched them in the process) which did not allow the bonnet trigger to function. After he corrected it 3 times, due to him re-pinching the wires again, 3rd time lucky right? It was fixed. eh.

I left the premises and I hope I never need to go back there again. I'm still yet to take the dash apart and fix the wiring mess myself (I've done auto-electrical work in the past but never messed with ECU's), I also have insurance for peace of mind should anything under the dash happen to smoulder/ignite/combust/burn and cause damage to my vehicle (worst case scenario).

Over the last 15 years, I have never ever encountered this type of practice from vehicle service companies, yet I encounter it twice in the last 6 months from two separate companies. Rather frustrating and mentally draining.

I just wanted what I paid for, a full installation of my vehicle alarm system, and for it to be 100% working.

Has anyone else ever had issues like this situation? Thoughts/Insight/Comments?

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#2 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Solution:

Go elsewhere. To somebody that knows what they are doing.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#3 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

That's what I hope won't happen. :unsure:

If i was in NSW, Carbon Car Systems would have done it. NFI where to take it in SA, hence why I gave this guy/company a shot.

I won't be going back there every again. Extremely incompetent company. Come to think of it, they still haven't given me my receipt/tax invoice, even though I have requested it multiple times. SMH.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#4 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

That's what I hope won't happen. :unsure:

If i was in NSW, Carbon Car Systems would have done it. NFI where to take it in SA, hence why I gave this guy/company a shot.

I won't be going back there every again. Extremely incompetent company. Come to think of it, they still haven't given me my receipt/tax invoice, even though I have requested it multiple times. SMH.

perhaps see if carbon car systems can recommend an installer? maybe they have approved installers nationwide or know of someone they would trust.

i would be taking this bloke to consumer affairs and lodging a complaint with them, if they have already given you advice to seek compensation in the form of money back, then they would be willing to assist i reckon. would probably recommend you try and negotiate this with him first, best bet is to send emails/letters, as if it goes to a tribunal it cannot be proven that phone calls or what was said in phone calls took place, it all becomes hearsay. if its in writing then there is physical proof as to what has taken place. At the end of the day, he has failed to complete the work to a reasonable standard for the cost first quoted so you are liable for compensation.

#5 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input. I did speak to consumer affairs, and did get advice, and now have current paperwork for that sole purpose, but have not decided to go down that avenue yet. Reason being that I do not want the sh't hassles of it all.

Yes he agreed to $150 for a full installation, no it was not done properly the 1st, 2nd, 3rd attempt, and it was finally corrected (bloody hope so) on the 4th time after an additional cost to me of $100 (it was $155, but I refused to pay that) to get my vehicle back.

Carbon Car Systems were extremely helpful regarding my situation, Colin and Dave are true professionals in the way they conduct business, I would definitely recommend them to others if they are in the NSW (Bankstown) region. I purchased my Mongoose M80G alarm system from them, and I couldn't be happier in the deal.

All in all, I think I'm just going to suck-it-up and accept the $250 cost of it all and just hope there are no more issues with it, I will tidy the wiring up myself, make sure its properly soldered, insulated and cable tied secure (as from what I saw the last time I went there... I wasn't very happy).

I'm not sure where I stand on the legal front regarding compensation to be honest. I was waiting to see what was written on the invoices (2 of) to be exactly sure of what I was charged for, which was an initial $150 for the full installation, then the additional 1 wire to the boot which cost $155 ($100 paid) while he was correcting his own installation mistakes. SMH.

I am still trying to chase a tax invoice/receipt in which I have requested numerous times since July 5th 2013.

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone, and I won't go there again for any other work, only unless its warranty work for my current situation. I left out their company name, as I don't want to "name and shame" so to speak, more of just venting my frustration and seeing if anyone else has encountered what I have, and any insight/advice on my predicament, again... thanks.

Over all of this experience, extremely disappointing.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#6 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

I can understand your disappointment, especially when it was agreed to at that price.

I know our installer at work charges minimum $200 for a full install of alarms.

We have had customers come back several times if things have needed to be fixed/issues needing to be ironed out, and they don't get charged for it.

If something does pack up again or not function correctly, definitely do not return to these places that you have been, and as suggested, see if Carbon have an installer they trust in SA.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#7 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the insight Hypnotic.

Yes I am very reluctant to go back there should anything else not work/malfunction. I might contact Colin at CCS again and have a chat should anything arise.

I just sent an email off to the company asking for both (itemized) tax invoices/receipts for the work done, for my records and insurance purposes.

My next step is to install the boot release solenoid, I checked that the remote key triggers it, and it works, so that will be my next small project to install (regarding the alarm system).

Thanks again.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#8 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hmmm.  This is why I am loath to allow anyone else to put a spanner to my car.  

My ex-gf's car had a head unit and imobiliser installed by the local auto elec. After about a year the whole car completely shut down to the delightful smell of burning plastic and smoke coming from the vents.

I pulled apart the dash to find a molten bunch of goo that used to be the cars wiring harness...  The cause... the gimp had wired the head unit and imobiliser to the hot side of the fuse box!! and worse, i found a bunch of the wires were just twitched together by hand and wrapped in tape, not even soldered or crimped...

Car was written off under insurance (massive cost to replace an entire car wiring loom).

#9 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

I sort of know the feeling. My alarm was installed a bit dodgy. The wiring isn't crash hot, but at least the module was tucked away and cable tied lol.

But, they didn't adjust the shock sensor, so it was super sensitive and cars driving past would set it off.
Also, they did a terrible job with the bonnet pin, wrong location like yours and they didn't protect the wiring, so after a while the rain and cold air were shorting it and making it false alarm.

Luckily I found a local auto elec who fixed my issues for a 6-pack :D

Been happy ever since. However, I would like a glass sensor...

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#10 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

@tmh983, ouch, exactly what I dread, as I don't want that to happen to my vehicle, my vehicle is insured for fire also, should it smoulder/combust like that. No solder? wow, that is dodgy as. When I do auto elec work, 9/10 times I use heat shrink for wire insulation (along side electrical tape), and doubled up, everything soldered up nice underneath. Wired to the wrong side of the fuse box? wow, just wow. SMH.

@stocky, I'm going to double check every part of the wiring on my alarm system when I get the chance to, just to make sure all is well, all is soldered proper, insulated proper, cable tied proper, fused proper, etc etc. I use to work doing similar auto-elec on cars/trucks/busses/vans etc 12v and 24v, but like I said, never dabbled in the ECU side of things (immobilisation points). I will correct what wiring mess remains from their installation myself, and also finish off my boot release via the remote myself.

Seems I am not the only one who has encountered this situation from a person and/or company.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#11 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Tbh I think this kind of thing happens when people try to go the cheapest way...
You get what you pay for.
Shit outcome so far but I paid $350 for my m80 fully installed.
By an approved installer.
No issues. Neat work and full warranty on parts and install.

Let this be a warning to everyone else. Don't buy your alarm then get it installed by someone else.

Only buy and get them installed by an authorized agent.

Also I would be getting your alarm checked by another licenced installer to ensure all 3 immobilization points are correct.
If there are not at least 2 points. .. I.e. fuel. IGn. You are not covered by insurance for theft..
And if you don't have a receipt. . Same deal.
Cut your losses with this mob.
Not worth it. If I were you i would take it as a lesson learned and front up another 150 to have someone test and certify the install.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#12 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

I got sick of the Brant getting between me and driving anywhere. Was looking at the Mongoose or Autoguard to replace it down the track. If I keep the car longer (may change next year), will be careful choosing the installer if and when I go down that track! Just happy the damn car runs again for now. But my car still has immobilisation with the coded key/internal siren and flashy lights. So its relatively safe still. If I tamper with the doors or even try to put my key in the ignition without 'disarming' the siren goes off and it wont start until you lock and unlock. Keypad is there to put people off.

I have removed the keypad immobiliser from the circuit because we were having issues with my car cutting out while driving (turned out to be a fried fuel pump controller). I notified my insurance, they didn't seem to mind. But I suppose on a worked pretzel you might have a harder time insuring it.

But anyway, on topic. I had a similar problem with a bumper respray last year. However after approaching him to redo it with my father sitting in the car, he agreed to refund me the cost and I took it elsewhere. Total waste of my time (shithouse workmanship). You have got a right to a refund at the very least, if you can prove the job was done wrong. The excuse this guy was using was the ole' "you get what you pay for". But I went up the road and paid the same amount to get it fixed properly!

#13 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

I didn't go the cheapest way, I inquired to this company about how much for a full installation with me supplying the M80G alarm, as at the time they did not stock that alarm system. Their price was $150 for a full install.

After numerous conversations and a month or so passed I hit them up again due to sourcing a M80G through Carbon Car Systems, I just needed him to install it for me, each time I asked it was $150 for a full installation.

I also re inquired back in mid July 2013 about the Mongoose M80G to which they said they now stock, so I asked for a price for supply and install to which I was quoted $460, $310 for the alarm and $150 full install. I asked if he could price match the M80G, which he couldn't, so I purchased it through CCS, which left me with the full installation of $150.

Like I said, I gave this company a go, was hoping for the best, as I indeed made sure I was getting a full installation at the price of $150, to which in reply I got "yes", hence why I went ahead with it.

At the end of the day, all this stress, worry, issues, etc and I still ended up paying $250 for everything, I am pleased that the alarm system is in and working, but upon seeing his incompetent work four times over, I'm a bit worried about exactly what he has done.

In due time I will take my dash/interior apart and check and take photos, fix where needed, tidy up the wiring, etc to make sure all is well, then I can have peace of mind about it all.

If CCS had a shop in Adelaide, I definitely would have gone to them, they are a very professional company.

Thanks CodeBurn3r

*On another note, he spoke of how professional his installations were and up-talked himself and his company numerous times. The whole "My installations are all professionally done, cables all neat, etc, not like Autobarn".

IDK, I'm still peeved at it all, and his comments, and his so-called professionalism.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#14 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

I got sick of the Brant getting between me and driving anywhere. Was looking at the Mongoose or Autoguard to replace it down the track. If I keep the car longer (may change next year), will be careful choosing the installer if and when I go down that track! Just happy the damn car runs again for now. But my car still has immobilisation with the coded key/internal siren and flashy lights. So its relatively safe still. If I tamper with the doors or even try to put my key in the ignition without 'disarming' the siren goes off and it wont start until you lock and unlock. Keypad is there to put people off.

I have removed the keypad immobiliser from the circuit because we were having issues with my car cutting out while driving (turned out to be a fried fuel pump controller). I notified my insurance, they didn't seem to mind. But I suppose on a worked pretzel you might have a harder time insuring it.

But anyway, on topic. I had a similar problem with a bumper respray last year. However after approaching him to redo it with my father sitting in the car, he agreed to refund me the cost and I took it elsewhere. Total waste of my time (shithouse workmanship). You have got a right to a refund at the very least, if you can prove the job was done wrong. The excuse this guy was using was the ole' "you get what you pay for". But I went up the road and paid the same amount to get it fixed properly!

Nice that you got a refund for the shoddy paintwork, that was decent. Much of a struggle to get the money back?

I still might get a second opinion regarding the installation of my car alarm system, get it checked over, make sure all is well by a professional. That way if there are still issues remaining I can then go to him and hit him up for a partial refund. If that happens and he refuses, consumer affairs will be involved again.

If you are wanting to put another alarm system in your vehicle I would definitely recommend the Mongoose M80G. I am happy with it and it's security features and functions, only part I have mixed feelings over at the moment is the installation.

Thanks.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#15 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

He told me to come back a week after I picked the car up, 'the paint needs to set before I can do anything'. Ok then fair enough. I went back the day before the time to return it, and asked him what the plan was to fix it because 'I am not happy'. He started telling me how fantastic the paint on the VW he has up the back has come up, because the guy spent like $20k for a show finish. Ignored that and he eventually told me to "get forked, its too much work for me, will just refund you the cash".

Rocked in there the next day, he handed me an envelope with the cash (didn't want to do it digitally), had it back in my account a few minutes later. Left it at that and moved on with life lol. The problem was, we had used him before multiple times, the trust was there and he abused it. He had to sack the asian guy that used to do all the work! I asked our mechanic who was up the road from him.

#16 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

@tsg, Least you got the $$$ back so you could go elsewhere to get it done proper. Nice of him to tell you where to go though. eh.

On topic, finally received my two invoices for the alarm installation and the boot release wire/relay. Only 1 month overdue, but glad I have them now.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users