#1 Pats

Pats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:heaps.. even ones I really can't afford

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi Folks.

New to the forum so here goes.. I've trolled the net and looked at posts here for info, I'm guessing that the answer is here already and posted so I may be repeating questions.

1) recently purchased a GC8 11/99 VIN numbers shows it to be a WRX but it's not turbo'd "it's the RX version" same blue and rear wings ETc Etc.

2) Eng and vin combination No's shows it to be a EJ205. (comp 8:1) Low for a N/A motor ? I have checked various sites to decipher the codes but a little confusing.

so here's the questions

1) Did Suby's come out with a SOHC WRX turbo version or where they only DOHC.

2) Handling improvements I have found out the car seems to be a little low in the back end (could be age and usage on existing shocks) whats a good set of shocks for the car and what is the avg ride height for a stock car Measured.

3) Steering........ I feel the car's steering could be tightened up...... AWD and power steer makes a great combination but I reckon this could be tuned a little better has anyone done much with this ??

4) Air intake... I have seen some posts where the owners are using the Large K&N Pods down near the front drivers side, is there much benefit or is more bling than Zing, I''m aware better air intake is good.... being old school we used to open up the existing air intakes for additional air then beefed up the filters inside the original filter boxes.

5) Peformance tweaks.. okay I have spoken to the Experts all say there's not to much that can be done to the GC8 N/A and the modules are a waste of space and money so the obvious things are cam's, better Exhaust, and air intake.

I'll probably have heaps more questions as I learn about the car but these may be a good start.

Pats (the passenger and mechanic)

Passenger Mechanic and private ATM

#2 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Since its na a pod filter will not really have any gains, a high flow panel filter would be the most legal/best option.

Same with exhaust, you might gain a small amount or you might loose power some depending on the system.

Luckily there is a wide range of suspension things available for subys. Coil overs and thicker sway bars and strut bracing would be the best impovement over stock but very expensive.

With na your better to make it look good and handle good. Without spending loads of cash you won't gain to much in the power department.

I always thought the rx was a 2.5 litre?

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

RX is 2L, RS is the 2.5 and wasnt until the bugeye

tIeW8DE.png

#4 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Ah I see now

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Also, its my belief that all turbo'd suby motors (except maybe the RS Lib) were DOHC. Fitting a SOHC turbo motor will be a backwards step, as they changed the bellhousing in 98. So a pre 98 motor wont bolt up your gearbox.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Rs libs were dohc same as version 1 and 3 rext engines

Steering wise, check the mounting bushes and swap the steering rack to a 2.7 ratio sti rack (2.7 turns lock to lock) instead of like 3

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sounds like its was originally a wrx but has been replaced to a NA. I believe the ej205 is a turbo engine. Is the engine number one you got of the engine itself or the rego papers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#8 Pats

Pats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like its was originally a wrx but has been replaced to a NA. I believe the ej205 is a turbo engine. Is the engine number one you got of the engine itself or the rego papers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

HI Guys.

The numbers where from the VIN plate attached so it's in the WRX category and the EJ205 as I found was a turbo motor but not sure if these where DOHC or SOHC ?? but this one is SOHC as mentioned, My thoughts where similar to Robbo's existing Panel filter with some slight mods, (I might source an original Filter housing from a wreckers and experiment on intake air flow, the car is currently STD exhaust but with a cannon end (sounds okay but little in regards to help), so tuned length balance pipes are in order then into the splitter ??getting the balance of backflow and deresticted is the question ?? I have to investigate more.. IN my days of Big bike power Porting and flow tuning heads helped immensly so something else to play with.

Looking at the motor it would most likly take an after market turbo and cooler.. but this would be well down the track if possible.. "firstly it's the looks and ride as wisely commented up the posts"

As for handling I will be crawling under it over the next few months, so I will replace all the bushes front and rear along with rod ends, the car handles well at the moment so it's only small refinements.. I will get more info on the STI 2.7 see if it's interchangable  as I was once told "anyone can drive well in a straight line... corners are different" .. if it handles better ultimatly it would be safer for the my son..

Thanks for the pointers and replies

Pat S (The Passenger and mechanic)

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

Did you REVS check it? It does sounds extremely odd to have the VIN number saying different things than what is actually there. I'd be worried it is bits car, sold to someone unsuspecting. I know an engine replacement is not an uncommon thing, but no-one goes back to a 2L NA from a turbo. Lots of work for a negative gain. Sorry Pat, but that makes me incredibly suspicious of foul play.

Do your research, but my advice when it comes to upgrading to turbo (and probably everyone else on this forum) is to either sell and buy turbo model, or convert it with an engine package/front cut. Bolting turbos to NA suby motors is bad news. I'll leave it at that, as this subject can become extremely touchy here as almost every newcomer asks the same questions. Do your research, there are plenty of threads lurking within the search function.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 Pats

Pats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

Did you REVS check it? It does sounds extremely odd to have the VIN number saying different things than what is actually there. I'd be worried it is bits car, sold to someone unsuspecting. I know an engine replacement is not an uncommon thing, but no-one goes back to a 2L NA from a turbo. Lots of work for a negative gain. Sorry Pat, but that makes me incredibly suspicious of foul play.

Do your research, but my advice when it comes to upgrading to turbo (and probably everyone else on this forum) is to either sell and buy turbo model, or convert it with an engine package/front cut. Bolting turbos to NA suby motors is bad news. I'll leave it at that, as this subject can become extremely touchy here as almost every newcomer asks the same questions. Do your research, there are plenty of threads lurking within the search function.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben.

Thanks for the advice and yes the car was fully checked with revs (now PPSR "Personal property security register") the car has original books with service history so I contacted the original dealership and Subaru Australia to confirm the numbers and ensure it's not a Grey import. All the numbers and history checked clean and above board the car is original as the showroom, albiet slightly high on the K's..and small shopping center marks on the paint the " WRX metallic Blue". The original question was if these SOHC motors was also available in the aspirated form.

the car will be driven by my son on his P's once he has passed the test, so the idea of Aspirating this vehicle is out of the question anyway.. so it's a bit of a weird one, but thats what makes life interesting.. the car as mentioned runs well and pulls hard from 4-5.5KRPM small breakdown around 5.5Krpm in 3rd that places it about 130-135Kmh !!. :diablo:

Anyway folks thanks for the posts and replies so far I am very appreciative of any that may come along

Cheers Pat S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users