50 replies to this topic

#1 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey guys my gen3 lib wagon has a rebuilt ej20 in it pushing a massive 114kws. Just wondering what sort of power the stock gearbox (mine has low range) and differentials can tolerate... I'm thinking of working my ej20 more or chucking a turbo on it hoping to push 150-200kws....

Any ideas?

#2 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Here we go again... Many threads all over the interwebs about doing this...

http://www.subyclub....a-na-the-truth/

http://www.subyclub....rmation-thread/

Did you do a search?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=na+ej20+turbo+kit

#3 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

i had a ej20 n/a dual range gearbox and standard outback diffs behind roughly 200 engine kw for a couple of years without problem.

It all depends how you drive... 

#4 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Here we go again... Many threads all over the interwebs about doing this...

http://www.subyclub....rmation-thread/

Did you do a search?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=na+ej20+turbo+kit

Before you go accusing me of not doing a search did you even read my post? Or did you just see "how many kw's" and fly into a full online subyclub noob rage?

I didn't ask how to get more power, I asked how much power my current driveline can handle..... Which is what doesn't seem to be getting addresses by anyone on these forums.... At least not in posts showing up in the search function.....

i had a ej20 n/a dual range gearbox and standard outback diffs behind roughly 200 engine kw for a couple of years without problem.
It all depends how you drive... 

Do you know how the outback running gear compares to the libs?

#5 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

clutch dumps on any 5SPD box are going to kill it.. difference between NA and WRX/STI you might get 10 more clutch dumps.. you might get none.

my advice would be to stick to the OEM clutch.. leaving that the weak point should result in it slipping when you dump the clutch

i have a HD clutch but i have never dumped it.. except a couple of times on the dirt..

my old box.. .Ohhh boy did it get a floggin! a few wet 4k dumps and a few 5k Dirt drops.. but never anything on the dry..
and that box is still going strong

i think the only thing different between the dual range boxes is there is an extra reduction gear..
i have seen a few of the Dual range boxes grind out the Low Range gear due to it not being engaged correctly.. but that's all.. who uses low range anyway haha

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#6 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Kidding yourself bro.

The NA engines don't like boost and as soon as you are making any real torque the gearbox will grenade.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#7 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Before you go accusing me of not doing a search did you even read my post? Or did you just see "how many kw's" and fly into a full online subyclub noob rage?

I didn't ask how to get more power, I asked how much power my current driveline can handle..... Which is what doesn't seem to be getting addresses by anyone on these forums.... At least not in posts showing up in the search function.....

Chill bro.

N/a stuff for N/a's. 

I kept my N/A diff etc when I did my conversion and I just had the pleasure of catching 2 busses and a forking train to work today.

Try to save a buck and it will end up costing you 10.

Do it right the first time or you will regret it later.

#8 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

I kept my N/A diff etc when I did my conversion and I just had the pleasure of catching 2 busses and a forking train to work today.

dang that's a hike and a half Josh!!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#9 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. It's appreciated. In all opinions, would 150kws at the engine with oem clutch be too much for the stock g/box?

I'm looking at a ej204 conversion, which after abit of tweaking should clear 150kws and 7500 rpm...

#10 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

dang that's a hike and a half Josh!!

Haha yeah 2 1/2 hours to get to work.  Saw a chick in a bra from the train though. Win!

#11 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Cup_of_rage.jpg

Subyclub noob rage? That doesnt exist here like rexnet... Obviously dont know how we are around here... I think your the one thats accusing... I never accused you of anything... I simply asked if you did a search??? Did you search through other forums? eg. Nasioc? Rexnet? Scoobymods?

U stated you wanna work or chuck a turbo on ur ej20 to push 150-200kw, I only gave those links so you could refer to the info about doing that to a N/A Ej20...

And "if" you read the posts in the 1st link, they tell you what to do about your gearbox

I'm thinking of working my ej20 more or chucking a turbo on it hoping to push 150-200kws....

Any ideas?

And as Cam said your kidding yourself...

By all means good luck too you if you wanna push shit up a hill spending big bucks on a N/A engine...

#12 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just red to page 8 on that link and apart from "shift kitting an auto" I have red nothing about transmission tolerances.... My original questions are still valid.
And I'm not planning on spending big bucks on a na. I'm looking at a few different options right now, one of which is a na

#13 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Do what you want to get power. Save for rainy day. Drive till it blows up and use savings to upgrade. If you get itchy feet first, buy more power (we all know it takes two weeks until you want more!). Rinse and repeat :-)

I had a 5 speed in my Liberty (96 wrx 4.11 box) with the matching motor, it loved the launches and I was running hd clutch. Honestly expected it to go any minute, car went before it did.

#14 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

It is going to cost you a fortune trying to make 150kws with a EJ20 seeing they only came out with 90ish.

Are you still on your P's?

#15 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Nope I'm 30, been on gold license for 7-8 years.

I know what I need to do, and how much its goung to cost, to get 150+ kw's.

Like I said I was just interested on gearbox and diff strengths.

In my early 20's I had a 1970 hg Holden with an injected stoked 355 making 600+ hp@m I had the original single spinner 6 cyclinder model banjo diff in it for too years and it was still going find when I ripped it out to put in a beefed up Borg-Warner Detroit locker in, and an original v8 traumatic gearbox that was only rated to about 250hp max.

My point is, from experience, most transmissions are capable of taking 2-3 times the factory engine kw's if you treat them well.

If suby's gearboxes can't, no sweat ill put in a wrx box.

#16 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

a n/a box, as long as its in good condition will handle 150kW all day if you respect it.

How much abuse a gearbox can handle has less to do with how much power the engine produces, and more to do with the weight and grip level of the car it is in... 

The transient torque spikes the gearbox is designed to endure, are 10 times higher than torque the engine will output.  The magnitude of the transient spikes are completely dependant on how much force the tires can transmit to the road (ie. grip + vehicle mass).

A high engine output will kill a gearbox through excessive heat generation if you sustain it at max output for a long time.  Road cars engines spend 99% of their time making <50kW, hence why a street driven, respected gearbox will cope with a decent engine power increase without complaint.

I had an old e30 with a GT28RS running 18psi, still had the original diff and axles after 2 years...

#17 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Torque kills diffs & gearboxes

#18 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

clutch dumps on any 5SPD box are going to kill it.. 

Maybe i should stop doing that :/ 

:D :D :D :D

Stuff goes here

#19 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Can I ask what you have planned to get your NA to 150kW?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#20 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

a n/a box, as long as its in good condition will handle 150kW all day if you respect it.
How much abuse a gearbox can handle has less to do with how much power the engine produces, and more to do with the weight and grip level of the car it is in... 
The transient torque spikes the gearbox is designed to endure, are 10 times higher than torque the engine will output.  The magnitude of the transient spikes are completely dependant on how much force the tires can transmit to the road (ie. grip + vehicle mass).
A high engine output will kill a gearbox through excessive heat generation if you sustain it at max output for a long time.  Road cars engines spend 99% of their time making <50kW, hence why a street driven, respected gearbox will cope with a decent engine power increase without complaint.
I had an old e30 with a GT28RS running 18psi, still had the original diff and axles after 2 years...

This is an answer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users