#1 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hey guys i decided to route my MBC to under the steering wheel so i can adjust on the fly. But its a noisy little bugger. Any ideas of either quieting it down or placing it elsewhere? Cheers, Rob BTW how funny is the title edit.

Posted Image

#2 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Rob, is it an in cabin or engine bay type MBC?
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#3 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Nah I put an engine bay one in. I was just trying something different but I have put it in a different spot and will test it.

Posted Image

#4 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Whats wrong with pulling up to a set of lights, seeing a EVO/HSV/fully sick car next to you. you know he wants to race, so you pop the bonnet, jump out, open bonnet and do a few twists on the MBC, close bonnet, get back in and get ready for the POWAHHHZZ. i do it all the time:):)
MY02 Liberty B4

#5 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Whats wrong with pulling up to a set of lights, seeing a EVO/HSV/fully sick car next to you. you know he wants to race, so you pop the bonnet, jump out, open bonnet and do a few twists on the MBC, close bonnet, get back in and get ready for the POWAHHHZZ.

i do it all the time:):)

Haha, yeah I know, it's a simple procedure, we keep a bottle of Dry Ice in the boot of the STi, someone has to get out, run to the back, grab the bottle and spray it down the scoop before a launch.

But relocating to the cabin sounds an ace idea. You should go F&F styles and pull out a laptop from under the seat every now and then. ;)

Nick

edit: Having said that, Not too sure how big you're controller is, but a insulated dash install would solve some sound issues, no? Or get yourself one of these new fangled digital setups like the GReddy PRofec range? Even the e-10 if you've got the coin.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#6 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I saw an ad in a magazine recently for turbosmart or someone who do an in-car MBC. Can buy a normal blue or red one or a stealth look ;).

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#7 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

I would think the extended vaccum lines needed for it to mount into the cabin would effect the boost characteristics.. STOCK EBC FTW!!!!
MY02 Liberty B4

#8 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I bought 3 metres of hose and routed it past the cooler in through the same hole I put the boost gauge through. Originally I had the MBC zipped to the dimmer knob but it was too loud so I have it now mounted at the back of the panel under the steering wheel with the knob sitting just below the plastic lip for easy access. Its now quiet and usable. Anticlockwise for winter, clockwise for summer. I need to port my wastegate though. Next project.

Posted Image

#9 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

I'm hoping you didn't use all three meters Rob? :D I would seriously recomend in the long run going EBC, just my opinion though. But in the meantime I think insulation would be your greatest solution. You may even find that you're not adjusting it enough to really warrant an in-cabin install and revert back to the bay. What was the motivation for changing the position? Nick

#10 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well Nothing was cut so its totally reversible. I just thought that I might give it a go. No I have plenty of hose left. But what do you mean when you said I didn't adjust it enough? It pulls 14psi now so it has more boost. And the extra length of hose hasn't changed anything as far as I see.

Posted Image

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I bought 3 metres of hose and routed it past the cooler in through the same hole I put the boost gauge through. Originally I had the MBC zipped to the dimmer knob but it was too loud so I have it now mounted at the back of the panel under the steering wheel with the knob sitting just below the plastic lip for easy access. Its now quiet and usable. Anticlockwise for winter, clockwise for summer. I need to port my wastegate though. Next project.

Port my waste gate while you are at it :D I accidently Thanked you for this post cos I am a bit drunk :P and hit the wrong button

#12 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Haha, yeah I know, it's a simple procedure, we keep a bottle of Dry Ice in the boot of the STi, someone has to get out, run to the back, grab the bottle and spray it down the scoop before a launch.

...how do you spray dry ice exactly?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#13 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

wait for it to sublimate and spray to CO2 ?? :D

Stuff goes here

#14 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

...how do you spray dry ice exactly?

Hahaha, I was joking mate, it was in the spirit of Evil_VZ-T's post, everyone know's a Cryon System is the only way to go in that scenario.

And Rob I meant to say that would you be actually adjusting your booost enough to warrant having the MBC in the cabin, is it really something you need to adjust "on the go" in your situation? I don't doubt your need for it, but if I had a comfort problem with unneccesary (as in the location) hardware, I'd reassess my need for it in that location? Really the same situation as the endless guys who have trouble with where to mount there 5" Autobahn boost guage, in the end if it isn't needed (in that locale) then why put yourself out to fit it?

But let me know if you find a solution to your noise worries, I still say Aftermarket EBC in the long run, if financially viable for you. Check out GReddy any how.

Nick

#15 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hahaha, I was joking mate, it was in the spirit of Evil_VZ-T's post, everyone know's a Cryon System is the only way to go in that scenario.

And Rob I meant to say that would you be actually adjusting your booost enough to warrant having the MBC in the cabin, is it really something you need to adjust "on the go" in your situation? I don't doubt your need for it, but if I had a comfort problem with unneccesary (as in the location) hardware, I'd reassess my need for it in that location? Really the same situation as the endless guys who have trouble with where to mount there 5" Autobahn boost guage, in the end if it isn't needed (in that locale) then why put yourself out to fit it?

But let me know if you find a solution to your noise worries, I still say Aftermarket EBC in the long run, if financially viable for you. Check out GReddy any how.

Nick

I'm tending towards Niko's post here. Really is it a necessary in cabin mod?

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with venting exhaust fumes into the cabin... Track car....whogivesasheet......road car.....??

+1 For electronic boost controller.

ATM, I'm resorting to this as my boost controller....

Posted Image

With poor results :(

Need a new bleed valve.....

#16 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

If you really want an interior boost controller Turbosmart have new one released a few months ago. Really I think it is better to set and forget boost settings.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#17 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:09 AM

Really I think it is better to set and forget boost settings.

Yeh thats my line of thinking also.

OEM+

#18 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

Um exhaust fumes from the bleed valve? Anyway this is just a bit of an experiment. Because my cooler and turbos are stock boost levels vary a lot depending on temp. Hey its a bit of fun.

Posted Image

#19 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

On ya rob - sounds pretty cool. Pics of your c**kpit (hehe)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users