aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of you have JDM fog-lights installed on your AUDM Gen II's but are unsure how to wire them in correctly. Here is a rough hand drawn wiring diagram for wiring them into your Australian Delivered Liberty (thanks Darren).

If someone has a better one please post it up and i will take this one down.

Posted Image

Cheers

Aek

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Aaron.W

Aaron.W

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:cars and Snowboarding FTW!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

thx aek ill let u know how i go when i can be bothered to wire the extra light up

95 Gen 2 gx series 1 with rx body kit built 207 on v2 sti heads, running gear, FMIC,twisted ATP GTX3076 Turbo setup :D

#3 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have some JDM foggies on order and when I receive them, I'm going to have them wired so the corner bulbs only illuminate in conjunction with the high beams because I'm not a fan of cornering lights. But let us know how that goes Aaron. And also Rob....I believe he recently got JDM foggies, and last I heard - he was yet to wire up the corner bulbs.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

I'm not a fan of cornering lights.

Hey Shiv what makes you not a fan??

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hey Shiv what makes you not a fan??

Just a combination of things:

1. With my first hand experiences using cornering lights (Ford Fairmont, Mercs...), they seem to provide little extra illumination. In the case of the JDM foggies, they will be better than what I've experienced because they actually have a dedicated corner bulb (as opposed to just a fog light) which is aimed outward, but nevertheless, when your already running HID's, I can't imagine a small halogen globe on the corner of the fog light assembly aiding your visibility much, if at all. I would be keen to hear of other peoples experiences with them though....

2. Call me anal but I don't like the look of them when turned on because only one turns on and many people think the other one thats not turned on is broken. Just a minor niggle, really.

3. Legality. Not sure if they're legal. Don't really care to tell you the truth. My issue is if I get pulled into an RBT; I'll indicate and the cop will say "Please turn off the fog light" and then I'll have to explain to him/her what a cornering light is and then he/she might come to realise rather nice looking head lights (HIDs) and one thing leads to another.....I think you see where I'm going with this.

Its no biggie. I see their purpose, I just question their effectiveness. Thoughts/opinions/experiences anyone??

#6 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Shiv, some new cars have cornering lights, my patrol has them, so from a legal perspective I don't think you would have a problem. The cornering lights would be useless with high beam, they are aimed at an angle forward and to the side, the whole idea is that they light up the area you are turning into. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#7 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

Shiv, some new cars have cornering lights, my patrol has them, so from a legal perspective I don't think you would have a problem.
The cornering lights would be useless with high beam, they are aimed at an angle forward and to the side, the whole idea is that they light up the area you are turning into.

Regards
Paul

Hey Paul,

Yeah I know now that they are legal, hence many new cars have them.

I was more getting at how when pulling into an RBT with your indicator on - the police officer might mistake you for driving with your fog lights on. (This has happened with my dad and his car.) For that moment the officer thinks you have your fog light on - their attention is already drawn to the head lights....specifically, the nice looking xenon HID's I may or may not have installed *wink wink*....and one thing may lead to another and theres a defect notice for them (the xenons).

Solution:
1. Don't have HIDs - noooo but I like them
2. Don't indicate when coming into the RBT.

Oh and if I'm not going to use them as cornering lights, I may as well hook them up to the high beams simply because they're there. I know they won't do shit to vision when the high beams are on.

#8 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hey Aek, Any idea what size the Cap was that Darren gave you?

if your not sure i might just pull that from the circuit, i mean all it does is keep the light on a few seconds after the indicator trigger is disabled.

Also.. any chance you or Shiv have Wiring diagrams for the Cibie's from the GTB limited front bar?

I'm a bit perplexed as to why it has 2 Relays in the loom that came with the bar that are wired in kinda a parallel circuit..

they are the genuine Cibie Relays.. im wondering if they are wired up like this because they are 100W so each one gets its own Relay..

but then im thinking maybe it has something to do with the GTB limited having a "FOG Select" switch so maybe the second relay is actually just there to work the Standard Foggies?

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#9 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

but then im thinking maybe it has something to do with the GTB limited having a "FOG Select" switch so maybe the second relay is actually just there to work the Standard Foggies?

This seems logical to me. Have you got a fog select button? im just doing 2 seperate switches so can have all 4 going

tIeW8DE.png

#10 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

nah i can't remember sorry. i do have more notes somewhere but i'll need to have a dig and find them

signature_1_35.jpg

#11 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Cannot help with the wiring, but my limited bar works with the 100w spotties on high beam - non limited GTB.

#12 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Nah I don't have any wiring diagrams Ty, sorry. 

I think I do have a FOG SELECT switch lying around if you want it. 

#13 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

Mmm shiv.. might take you up in that if you find it!

I've run out of button spots but I'm going to wire the cibies to my rear fog switch.. for now. If I need the cibies.. fork anyone behind me. . Lol

I'm not going to wire mine to the high beams. . I want to be able to select them with just lows or parkers due to the insane fog I get out my way. . And the fact I'm going to be doing heaps of snow trips. I want to be able to kick down to just the yellow cibies when the bad fog rolls in. High beams are the worst in fog. .

#14 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

So I found out some interesting information on my cibies. .

I have the SS Limited type which apparently differ from the standard gtb limited type.

My big fogs actually have dual filament H4 bulbs and wiring.
The 2 relays are actually quite simple in their setup once I actually woke up this morning lol.

Ill draw up a wiring diagram but this isb the jist.

There are 2 trigger wires that go to the cabin thinner blue and thinner red.
These are ground that activate the coil on the relays.
The relays +ve coil side (orange) are bridged between the 2 and then off to a switched 12v source. (I used the parker circuit so that the fogs can only be activated while the parkers are on.)

Then you have direct 12v thick red wires from each relay that join again and connect to the battery via fuse.
And Then the output on the relays goes to each fog.. 2 each thick Blue and thick yellow.
Each fog has 3 wires. The above Blue and yellow and a ground (straight to the chassis)

Activating Blue trigger turns on the high beams on the fogs.. activating red turns on the low beams.

#15 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have the SS Limited type which apparently differ from the standard gtb limited type.

Any links or info on this model?

Lol while googling i found a post Mark made about it where he noted that theyre dual filament

tIeW8DE.png

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Appears to be the last of the gtb limited had these fogs.
Seems to only be the lamp itself that is different. And the way it is wired. Cosmetically they are identical to the rest. Except they fit fog covers.
These. .. http://www.ozautoele...tive-cover.html

Mine are a bit faded so I blacked them out
Completely but I'm thinking I might paint them again so they are white on black.

And without getting this thread to far off the jdm turn signal lamps topic. .

I was digging through one of my boxes of bits and found a timer relay from a gc8 for the interior lights.
I'm going to test it but I think that it might be the go for my turning lamp delay circuit ;)
Oem ftw!

Oh finally. .
As I maxed out my dash with buttons already and didn't want to add in any tacky aftermarket switches I am going to be running the high beam side off my rear fog switch also so triggering my rears also activates the high beam front.
The lows will be controlled by that pest of a switch. . The Parker switch on top of the steering column.

This will enable me to turn on my low fogs independent to the rx fogs
The only issue I have is my rear fogs being on when I switch my high fogs on but if I can source a fog select switch that's going to be swapped so I can choose front or rear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users