#1 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Hey all. Think I may be up for a head gasket repair soon. Wanted to confirm it.

B4, single turbo spec C engine conversion. Popped the radiator cap this morning to top up the coolant and was greeted with very fine bubbles. Froth I would even go so far as to say. I've never seen the bubbly coolant from a head gasket failure before, but I suspect thats what I'm looking at. Any ideas people? Will take a photo tomorrow morning if I get up early enough (I have change over at work at 0530).

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 MadB4

MadB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Drivin this lil beasty, Elec Guitar, Beer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

A slight bubbling seen in the reservoir tank is normal due to the returning of coolant from radiator to the reservoir tank. Do you see the bubbling in this tank, with rad cap on & engine warmed up?

Air in the system from leak in a hose join can be the culprit. The system is under pressure so, air that is sucked in will cause fluid level changes. 

You should only need to fill from the rad cap if you are wanting to bleed any air out of the system. Did you see the coolant fluid moving once it warmed up? Is this the bubbling you are refering too? This is normal. 

A leaking HG usually causes a greater bubbling & you would be losing collant & temp gauge will rise. Unless it is the start of a HG leak, you may see this. A full blown gasket leak will result in oil in the coolant fluid &/or coolant in the engine oil. 

Was fluid low? Have you seen the temp rise?

My wife's Commodore looses coolant somewhere. Prolly a hose & loses coolant. Can't tell by checking reservoir tank level but, there is always air in the system & needs a litre of top up @ times & bleeding. Air in the system isn't a good thing. 

MY01 B4 single T conversion ;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix  B)

#3 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Have a small leak from one of the coolant hose connections on the turbo, so have been topping up every now and again. I was just greeted with froth this morning, which scared me a bit. There wasnt any big bubbles, but the froth continued for a minute or 2. I havent tried any real tests or anything as I was in a bit of a rush this morning. Guage has been rock solid. Level comes up as it gets hotter, which is normal. Might have to whip the coolant line off that join, replace the hose and clean up the connection a bit I reckon.

So head gasket bubbles are fairly large normally?

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Are you getting any milky residue (and in your oil)? How does your overflow tank look? You getting any white smoke or excessive water out if the exhaust?

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 MadB4

MadB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Drivin this lil beasty, Elec Guitar, Beer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Have a small leak from one of the coolant hose connections on the turbo, so have been topping up every now and again. I was just greeted with froth this morning, which scared me a bit. There wasnt any big bubbles, but the froth continued for a minute or 2. I havent tried any real tests or anything as I was in a bit of a rush this morning. Guage has been rock solid. Level comes up as it gets hotter, which is normal. Might have to whip the coolant line off that join, replace the hose and clean up the connection a bit I reckon.

So head gasket bubbles are fairly large normally?

Ben, replace the hose. Not worth a bigger prob later......At moment, your prolly just sucking in some air into the system right here. Bubble would be more aggressive you'd suspect if it was your HG. Wouldn't be concerned until you swap the hose, esp if your not losing coolant & temp isn't going up ;)

MY01 B4 single T conversion ;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix  B)

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Awesome, thanks for that dude. Having never seen a head gasket failure, I did not enjoy seeing those bubbles this morning. I'll just do the hose when I get to days off on wednesday, and hopefully that cures the issue.

Aek, haven't had a chance to look at the overflow bottle or the oil condition yet. Its due for its oil change too, so might be doing that on wednesday too. Will check it tonight though.

Cheers,

Ben

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

good sign of HG failure is overflow filling up but not being pulled back into system after it engine cools (off)

MY07 GT spec B

#8 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

As alexxx said. Also the overflow bottle will smell of exhaust if you pop the cap and quickly shove your nose in there for a whiff. 

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hard to tell the smell exactly if you havent smelt it before though..

but as Alexxx said.. over flow bottle full.. HG fail

milky oil.. HG fail

Dripping from Passenger side head... HG Fail

Waterfountain from the Overflow.. HG Fail

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

Green coolant coming out of the exhaust... HG fail. :sarcastic:

This happened to mine along with the of the overflow bottle, errr overflowing.

This when it properly let go. Before hand was large airbubbles when running with rad cap off.

OEM+

#11 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Tis all good. All videos and things I have looked at online say that a head gasket is usually large bubbles, temperature variation and overflowing overflow bottle. I have none of those. At this stage it's being temporarily blamed on the turbo coolant line letting air into the system. Will be cleaning it up with a dremel and wire brush attachment tomorrow before a trip away, so time will tell if it is a HG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users