10 replies to this topic

#1 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 1999 Liberty wagon - got it for a bargain but with a few things that needed fixing/replacing. I've managed to do quite a bit myself, but I'm running into a dead end trying to figure out my keyless entry.

I bought it with only a key, no key fob. I was told if I sourced a key fob myself I could reprogram it easily. So when I was at the wreckers the other day I picked up one of these from a gen 3 outback: http://imgur.com/Euv2W3j

I'm not even sure if this is the correct remote for my car. But I thought I'd give it a try programming it (method involved connecting wires behind door seal trim, etc.). It didn't work.

Has anyone done this before with a gen 3 liberty?

Also, I noticed these bits looking a bit out of place:
http://imgur.com/ahFD67P
http://imgur.com/7trk0iq
Is this an aftermarket alarm, or were Cobra alarms factory fitted?
If it's aftermarket, do I need a non-Subaru key fob?

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Cobra alarms were not fitted to subarus from factory. The B4's ran a brandt system, which was effective but troublesome. It is most certainly an aftermarket fitment. Unless you know what you are doing, I would take it to someone to rip it out and fit a new one.

A replacement FOB from another car wont just work. There are lots of other details.

The first photo is probably a break glass detector (or it could be part of a hands free kit, but unlikely being its on the passenger side). It senses pressure changes, and sets the alarm off once it reachs a set point.

The second is the actual siren unit, and is possibly the brains of the whole thing. Dont just cut it out, otherwise it will go nuts and 1) piss your neighbours off, and 2) leave your car immobile until you can patch the wiring up.

I dont know much about alarm systems, but if you werent sure what the box under the bonnet was, I would be taking it to someone...

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for this.

A replacement FOB from another car wont just work. There are lots of other details.

I was told that for the keyless entry, which was fitted as standard, that a keyfob from another car would work if it was the right one (I was told there were multiple subaru keyfobs from gen 3 liberty/outbacks, but only one type would probably work). But since there is an aftermarket alarm, would this have replaced the stock keyless entry?

Preferably I'd like to keep whatever is in the car, just get a new fob and program it. Just gotta figure out what's what!

#4 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

It depends how it has been wired, if the aftermarket alarm system is functional and if the stock keyless entry is functional (and piggy backed onto the cobra alarm).

Did you get an aftermarket remote with your car to arm/disarm the cobra alarm?

Does the stock keyless entry work at all?

There are too many variables in what you want to achieve IMO.

If you tried to program your keyless entry with the new stock remote (right side kick panel plug, plugged in, done the open/close door, press button, etc procedure) and it has not worked, then the keyless entry module may have been disabled (not real sure why though), or you are not doing the proper steps in programming the new remote.

Considering your vehicle has an aftermarket cobra alarm in it, means you are probably missing a remote for it, unless its an upgrade alarm... in which you would use the stock lock/unlock remote to arm/disarm.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#5 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Did you get an aftermarket remote with your car to arm/disarm the cobra alarm?

No, only got a key when I bought the car. I don't think the previous owner knew about any alarm/keyless entry features.

Does the stock keyless entry work at all?

I have no idea, so I picked up the Subaru key fobs from the wreckers to try and find out. Trying to program hasn't worked yet, so either I got the wrong fob type, the fob batteries are dead, or the stock keyless entry is disabled.

Considering your vehicle has an aftermarket cobra alarm in it, means you are probably missing a remote for it, unless its an upgrade alarm... in which you would use the stock lock/unlock remote to arm/disarm.

So what you're saying is that I just have to figure out whether the alarm controls the keyless entry, or the keyless entry controls the alarm? (or rather take it to someone who can figure it out for me)

#6 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Easiest way to check is to remove your right front kick panel where the keyless entry module is and see if any wiring is spliced into it, if there is, your cobra alarm should control it... in saying that your stock keyless entry should also work at the same time (but not control the alarm).

If your keyless entry module is there and wired up (plugged into the harness) I would do the whole kick panel plug thing again, open/shut door, press and hold the LOCK button on the remote (the doors should lock then auto unlock, blinkers flash, etc) if it does that, then its programmed proper, unplug the kick panel plug and try the lock/unlock on the remote again.

Your next step is identifying what cobra alarm system you have. I assume the under bonnet siren module has a key port to turn it on/off? Considering you only had a 'key', no remotes, no alarm keys, etc... kinda makes things difficult.

Your best bet is either take it to a Subaru dealer/wrecker and get them to help you, and/or take it to an auto electrician/car alarm shop for help.

I no longer run my stock 2 button remote for keyless entry due to having a Mongoose M80 system installed and piggy backed onto the keyless entry module (1 wire lock/unlock setup), so my remote from the Mongoose system controls the alarm/immobilizer and keyless entry (and even the electric windows should I install the module for it).

So what you're saying is that I just have to figure out whether the alarm controls the keyless entry, or the keyless entry controls the alarm? (or rather take it to someone who can figure it out for me)

^ Yes.

Good luck with figuring it all out.

*EDIT... here's the link to your Cobra 7915 alarm system manual.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#7 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for your help. Went to a car alarm place yesterday, basically they said Cobra isn't supported anymore so I can either leave it and ignore it, or get it replaced with a new alarm.

#8 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Cobra may not be supported any more, but I'm sure you will be able to purchase an aftermarket (replacement) remote for it.

Try Remote King "(03) 5996 1682". they seem to be the most used around the place for replacement remotes... used by many locksmiths around the place, etc. Phone them up, tell them you have a Cobra 7915 and in need of a replacement remote... I watched a youtube vid on how to program them, not hard at all.

It would make more sense to get your Cobra alarm working than get it pulled and put a replacement in.

Try source a remote for it, see how you go. Remote King would be my first choice.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#9 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Sorry, been on days off and been doing lots of stuff at home. Did you have any luck with the crowd to sort a new remote?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#11 J-D

J-D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

I haven't gotten around to it yet, I got a few other bits and pieces I'm fixing up at the moment so the budget to sort out the alarm won't be feasible for at least a few weeks. In the meantime I was planning to see if the stock keyless entry is still hooked up, then go from there. If it is but I can't figure out the programming I'll just pop into Subaru and ask, the local dealership has been great with helping me out recently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users