18 replies to this topic

#1 EJ22D

EJ22D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Dear anyone who finds interest in this post,

I have an infinite interest in the idea of DOHC EJ22s. Having built 2 already in N/A form, I now move onto the turbo realm & seeing as EJ20Rs & EJ208s can be had for relatively cheap, I am seriously contemplating a twin turbo DOHC EJ22 build. 

However, I have been told that the twin turbo powerplant is no good & to steer away due to the complexity of the twin turbo setup that Subaru uses & the fact that the ECUs that the twin turbos employ seem to be incapable of being tuned.

Can anyone with twin turbo experience chime in & inform me of the reality of the situation? I think it would be pretty awesome to have but if the ends do not justify the means, I will stick w/a single turbo build.

Thanks!

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

I love my TT when it's running right. The EJ208 Ecu is also tunable.

The downside is there is always something in the TT set up being problematic. They require constant love and attention to be running properly. In the 16 months I've had mine I have only seen 3 of which that I've had no check engine light.

It's one thing after the next.

The truth is widely known. Single I'd the best option for any Subaru turbo application.

Unless you have a bottomless wallet and are a sucker for punishment you'd be nuts to want to go the TT route.

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Dear anyone who finds interest in this post,

I have an infinite interest in the idea of DOHC EJ22s. Having built 2 already in N/A form, I now move onto the turbo realm & seeing as EJ20Rs & EJ208s can be had for relatively cheap, I am seriously contemplating a twin turbo DOHC EJ22 build. 

However, I have been told that the twin turbo powerplant is no good & to steer away due to the complexity of the twin turbo setup that Subaru uses & the fact that the ECUs that the twin turbos employ seem to be incapable of being tuned.

Can anyone with twin turbo experience chime in & inform me of the reality of the situation? I think it would be pretty awesome to have but if the ends do not justify the means, I will stick w/a single turbo build.

Thanks!

this alone is enough to tell you it is a bad idea. it is just a poorly designed out-dated system. single turbo setup is better in every single aspect (cost, power, driveability)

MY07 GT spec B

#4 EJ22D

EJ22D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Which of these heads would you personally choose for your turbo build & why?
EJ20K-EJ20R
EJ20G-EJ20H
EJ25D
EJ20D

#5 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

V8 STI or V6 STI heads.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#6 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've had my B4 for 7 years, put 120,000km on it and have never had an issue with the twin turbo setup *touch wood* Every car is different though

#7 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

i've had my b4 3 years - 2 of those years its been single turbo - 

2.5lt - 99 sti heads gt35r - single turbo every time 

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Had mine 6 or so years now. Done 50k km, and been through 3 motors. Now running single turbo, been running longer and more reliable. Stick with single man, especially when it's being built.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Done 20,000km in mine. It's a great cruiser but i believe it needs a tune.

ill just service it on time and hopefully it should be fine in stock form.

ive been through this before with my old Honda prelude... bought with 170,000km and sold it with almost 300,000km 5 years latet. it was always reliable. Felt like it was going to make it to 400,000km easy...

maybe I should look for an aftermarket alarm system too to replace the brant. Lol...

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

2L block, 2.5 crank, and a set of V8 STi heads (for AVCS goodness) or 02 STi Spec C heads if you don't want AVCS. Build that up and away you go.

2.35L motor that will go crazy if built correctly.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#11 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Allpaw the 99/00 rex heads are large port - mine flowed to 400+ kws after port and cams

#12 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Target 9:1 and run big cams :):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

#13 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

How much do you want to spend?

Options are endless.

#14 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

At Allpaw

EJ20 + 2.5 crank = 2.1xxx
EJ22 + 2.5 crank = 2.35

I'm going out on a limb here with my thought.

I was only speaking with Billsy about this the other night. 2.5 with twin TD04/5s. Need to have some wicked cams and plenty of headwork done. Low mount these suckers as close to the engine as possible. And the biggest thing a lot if you guys are forgeting is that twin turbos can be run in parallel too. Dont let the factory sequential system with all its valves and solenoids cloud your minds.

If I had the coinage to do a new big project I'd give it a go. For a track car, as long as the exhaust housings were correct for the motor, think of the instant boost you'd come onto out of the corners. That, is the trick to a good twin turbo system.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#15 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

IMG_0463-L.jpg

Love the look of the twin turbo set up in this bug.

If you have the time/patience/money for a twin turbo set up... go for it.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#16 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Good points guys.

I got the impression that EJ22D was talking about a build using the factory set up though.
I'm sure any additional information will be taken on board by him but as far as the factory TT set up goes.....it's puss.
Steer clear imo.

#17 EJ22D

EJ22D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Sic'Em, that WRX that is displayed seems to be a "Bi-Turbo" setup rather than a twin-turbo. I spent time researching the twin turbo system last night & decided that I would not pursue Subaru's sequential setup. It all looks like it will cause great headache to try & assemble, especially that black box. I would rather a bi-turbo setup any day of the week. Early TQ & it is carried over a wide rpm range. That seems like the ultimate balance for turbocharging. 

#18 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

^ Interesting... I would like to do that 'bi-turbo' set up on my WRX, it looks mean and I'm sure it would go like the clappers over the whole RPM range.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#19 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

Ah, cheers for that, I did not realise it took the 2.2 block to get the higher figures. That said, I never crunched the numbers, just heard it from people. Thanks for the correct info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users