• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Boost leaks are exactly that - under boost, pin holes in hoses or loose worm clamps, something that would normally be closed off (ie on the rubber piece between intercooler and throttle body) will leak a bit. I had it on my engine once - I forgot to do up one of the worm clamps, and under positive pressure (boost) it would leak air. Things like this. Look around for any obvious signs like soot/oil residue on any of the inlet tract or manifold. I never took a photo of it, but it was pretty obvious when I did look around the engine.

Certainly is. You aren't reseting the tune as such, more so the learnings of the ECU. Reseting it back to how Sean gave it to you.

The earth kit just gives the sensors a more direct earth. It can cause issues with eddy currents, but generally it will do more positive than negative. Giving sensors clean earths will let the ECU read a cleaner signal. I'll post up a photo later today if I get a chance to show where I put mine. It should be noted here that on most dyno tests I've read about concerning this, these kits give a real, measureable 3 to 5 kw atw.

The BBOD is the black box mounted against the LH strut tower. There is a lot of vac lines connected to it. It holds all the solenoids that control the twin turbo system.

Oh ok, thanks for that info. Might take a look into cleaning some of the sensors then I think. I do think the leaks are something that they would have possibly seen when they stripped the engine/built it up again though. Might still be able to give that black box a clean out though as it doesn't sound particularly difficult.

Sean did say try not to change too much after the tune, as the tune is made based on the condition of the car when they get it apparently. I was thinking of changing the pod filter though, as the one on there seems pretty old and probably way too big. Would it hurt to clean sensors/replace minor parts post-tune? What's your opinion?

I would be worried about something causing that loss of power - mine makes 145kw atw with a tbe and on the stock tune.

Haha, yeah a few people have said that theirs made around 140kW stock. Must have been taken care of well imo, even Sean reckons that a lot of autos only make somewhere around 115-130kW. He said mine was a bit low but didn't seem to be concerned at all about any major loss of power. To be honest I think I'm gonna have to accept that I've realistically bought a car that hasn't been taken care of as well as most. The guy who had it before me was putting 95 in it (he only had it for six months though) but at the time alarm bells didn't go off.. that and I didn't have the knowledge that using a lower octane fuel could do rather extensive damage to the engine. Oh well, I reckon I'll just keep this one clean and up to scratch with all the servicing then eventually go for a nice premium pack GT with a FULL service history, no exceptions! :)

#62 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Cleaning sensors isn't what I would call a big change. I think what he means there is mods. A turbo back exhaust will modify the car enough to make the tune possibly unsafe. On that note though, don't change to a Pod filter. The B4 filters account for a ridiculously small amount of flow restriction, something like 3%. Read a few more of the DIYs on here. There are better mods around.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#63 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

I had a feeling it might be Auto. Changing out the shithouse air filter and throwing in a genuine one, along with a squirt of maf cleaner and an ecu reset dramatically changed the way my car drives. Start small, then get to the ugly stuff :) but it sounds about right.

#64 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Cleaning sensors isn't what I would call a big change. I think what he means there is mods. A turbo back exhaust will modify the car enough to make the tune possibly unsafe. On that note though, don't change to a Pod filter. The B4 filters account for a ridiculously small amount of flow restriction, something like 3%. Read a few more of the DIYs on here. There are better mods around.

Cool, I suspected doing minor things would probably be fine. Will check out some odd those diys.

I had a feeling it might be Auto. Changing out the shithouse air filter and throwing in a genuine one, along with a squirt of maf cleaner and an ecu reset dramatically changed the way my car drives. Start small, then get to the ugly stuff :) but it sounds about right.

Currently I have some overly huge pod filter (cai I think?) that came with the car when I bought it. Seems to have it's own MAF sensor in the intake pipe by the looks of things. I've cleaned the MAF sensor in another car before, so this shouldn't be too hard. If I were to change the cai over what would you recommend? By "genuine" do you mean try and find a stock airbox and get a new filter with that or?

#65 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

If you are missing the factory air box and associated piping, dont stress. Yes, the filter will not flow as well as the standard panel filter, but if you already have it, either clean the one you have (if its washable) or just replace it with one that suits your needs - dont just look at flow, you want some filtration too. I would steer clear of oiled filters, while they are a great device, unless you get it just right, you either get not enough oil on it (and end up with bad filtration, as the oil does most of the catching), or too much (and coat the air flow meter in oil, giving the ECU bad readings). For ease of maintenance, a standard pod and a can of CO contact cleaner is the go. Just take out the sensor and give it a good spray of cleaner. You could probably get a can of proper cleaner to do the job, but I have easy access to contact cleaner, so I use that.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#66 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Cheers for that, I went back to S&J not long ago and Sean reckons that the filter I have should be fine and that they did actually clean it during the last service anyway so no dramas :)

The car has been pretty good since I got it back, and S&J have been really helpful. Since the cost was going to be so high for me (even though they did it the cheapest they could considering) they helped me pay some of it back in instalments which I thought was helpful. There have been a few issues with the car since I got it back - the CEL comes on for a couple of secs in a certain gear/rev range and it sputters for a bit (maybe 20 secs max?) when I start it after periods of inactivity i.e. over night. Sean had a look at the CEL code and it was something to do with the <something> pressure sensor? (was to do with the turbo setup?) He cut a few of the vac lines going into it and stretched them back over, in case the ends were a bit loose. He then reset the ECU. After the drive home I noticed it was still happening, so I'll probably have to call up again and get them to take the car for a night to test drive it.

All that aside though, and after all the crap that has come along with this B4, I'm still pretty happy with S&J's work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users